+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default who has an itchy scalp?

mine is terrible; ive tried all the shampoos, used anti fungal tablets from the doctor, have been on avodart and propecia but nothing has wored. it feels so sensitive, i look forward to having a shower as this soothes it but i can feel every drop of water hit it. The doctor has looked twice but couldn't see antything. I do get a few spots on there and took some photos and thought it looks at bit red.

so who else has an itch despite using fin/dut?

After quitting fin I went through quite a few months of terrible dandruff and horrible scalp itch. 2% ketokonazole cleared up the dandruff but the itch persisted. It wasn't until a user on another forum suggested using Epsom salts that the itch finally went away.

What I do is dissolve a small scoop of regular Epsom salts, mine have mint and rosemary scents but that isn't necessary, into a small cup with my regular head and shoulders shampoo while I'm in the shower. Usually I need a small amount of water along with the shampoo to get them completely dissolved. Then I just apply it like regular shampoo. It ends up being more watery and grainy than just shampoo by itself but it cleans just fine. I leave it in for about 5-8 mins then rinse it out.

I'm not a doctor so I can't promise anything but for me this has helped a lot and after a few weeks of using the Epsom salts every other day my scalp itch was nearly gone.

Lately my scalp has itched like hell. I have had a crappy scalp and have used anti dandruff and anti itch shampoos for over 20 years. My scalp was really in pretty good shape until I started treating my hair loss. Minox has given me dandruff that I haven't had for decades. I don't know what is responsible for the itch, but yeah it is pretty bad right now. Nizoral works pretty good, but I only use it 2x a week, the rest of the week it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Lately my scalp has itched like hell. I have had a crappy scalp and have used anti dandruff and anti itch shampoos for over 20 years. My scalp was really in pretty good shape until I started treating my hair loss. Minox has given me dandruff that I haven't had for decades. I don't know what is responsible for the itch, but yeah it is pretty bad right now. Nizoral works pretty good, but I only use it 2x a week, the rest of the week it sucks.
    are u using fin or dut? some say that eases it but im using dut and it isn't. Im seeing a derm on thursday so hope he has some idea. It's very depressing because its constant

I have dandruff and itching problems related to dandruff , it usually helps to have a good brushing of the scalp for about 3 minutes .
    Sometimes i use e45 cream on the scalp which does help cool it down and stop the itch very fast . If i am not going to wash it off for a while ,i use the cream left on the hair itself as a styling agent and just comb it to style .

But I would love to find the reason of the dandruff and get rid of it for good

I dont like nizoral it makes it worse

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    are u using fin or dut? some say that eases it but im using dut and it isn't. Im seeing a derm on thursday so hope he has some idea. It's very depressing because its constant
    I am on fin. The itch seems to have stopped for now. Not sure what the hell brought it on, but for a few days it was pretty bad.

I was using fin with great results for seven months when the burning/itching began. Unfortunately for myself, a severe shed began concurrently with the itching and has not stopped for over a year. I have tried everything inlcuding fin, dut, RU, biotin, nizoral, fish oil, maxihair, curcuramin, resveratrol, etc. Nothing has stopped it. I recently stopped my fin usage as I the intense shedding lasted over a year. I saw a derm back in march and she took a biopsy, it seems I am developing scar tissue. If you have this type of reaction on fin, try stopping it earlier to see if the itch goes away, i believe the itching is the bodies infammatory response to the destruction of our hair follicles.

What triggers the destruction of the hair follicles and why would fin make it worse or not stop it? I guess even on fin your raising your T levels and T does harm hair so maybe that is why in some people? Some guys on certain immune system suppressing drugs I heard have grown lots of hair back so I think the immune system is definitely a big player later on

The itch on my scalp comes and goes. Right now my scalp is feeling really good.