Got basically all my hair back - how long can I expect to maintain?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodyy
    • Apr 2013

Got basically all my hair back - how long can I expect to maintain?

At the start of the year I never thought I'd be writing this but I just had that moment where I looked in the mirror and thought to myself that my hair is basically back. Except for maybe 1cm of recession at one temple I've regrown my hairline completely and restored 75/80% density. I am more than happy with this considering I've only been on fin for about 8 months. It's been very slow but steady progress I think, I never noticed day to day or even week to week improvements, it all happened so slowly that I never noticed it was happening at all.

Anyway, I'm basically just wondering statistically how long can I expect to maintain on finasteride for now? This is all I use so I don't have to worry about what some people report about the longevity of effectiveness in other treatments such as minox.

Also, when/if the dreaded day does come when I start losing what I've regrown and there's still no advancement in treatments would moving onto dutasteride be a viable option?

Cheers
  • crafter
    • Sep 2013

do you use only fin? any before and now photos?

the 10 years study found 86% were above baseline., so your odds are good

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2008

Great story. No exact time table for the medications effectiveness. Enjoy it while you have it.
      Dr. Glenn Charles
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Woodyy
        • Apr 2013

Thanks guys, no before and after unfortunately, never took any at its worst, mine was the kinda hairloss where no one would ever notice but it was very noticeable to me and I'm so relieved its over.

And fin was the only mainstay, I attempted to use minox twice but got scared away by the initial shed, if been using s5, very very small amounts to the temples once a day, I'm in no way consistent with it, sometimes I went weeks without using it, I'll keep using it as it may have done something but I give most credit to fin,

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

Fin is the greatest. I had exactly the same amount of success, maybe more, but yeah I didn't bother taking any pics either.

Comment

• Woodyy
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
            Fin is the greatest. I had exactly the same amount of success, maybe more, but yeah I didn't bother taking any pics either.
            I kinda wish I did but in a way it's nice to forget about it. I genuinely think if/once your hair recovers you should stay away from sites like these, that's what I'm trying to do but after spending so much time researching hairloss etc I still kind of enjoy discussing it.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Woodyy
              I kinda wish I did but in a way it's nice to forget about it. I genuinely think if/once your hair recovers you should stay away from sites like these, that's what I'm trying to do but after spending so much time researching hairloss etc I still kind of enjoy discussing it.

For some I think staying away from this site is a good thing. For me though, I actually like it around here. I used to get pretty depressed reading some of these threads, but now I don't let things get to me. This place can actually be pretty entertaining. Plus I have learned a lot. Surprisingly I am more at peace with my hair now. I go out buzzed without a hat all the time now.

Comment

Working...