+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Desmond, What Are the Big Questions?

I know you've gone through this before, but What are the big questions left?

PGD2 castrates our hair

FGF9 and VEGF and some WNTS may be helpful in growth once inflammation and PGD2 are taken care of.

but, what are the questions left to connect the dots?

and,

who is working on them?

is funding an issue? Cots seemed to say it was.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    I know you've gone through this before, but What are the big questions left?

PGD2 castrates our hair

FGF9 and VEGF and some WNTS may be helpful in growth once inflammation and PGD2 are taken care of.

but, what are the questions left to connect the dots?

and,

who is working on them?

is funding an issue? Cots seemed to say it was.
    Wow! A very good question and definitely a difficult one to answer!

If we look at the pathophysiology of MPB, there are THREE possible ways to cure MPB:

1) One way would be to combat the entire MPB cascade PLUS reverse fibrosis. The end result in theory would yield teen density and a NW1; however, the regenerated hairs will still be susceptible to DHT due to the stem cells they originated from! This would mean, the patient would then have to take Finasteride or an anti-androgen for life in order to maintain this density!

2) The second route would be Gene therapy. Altering specific genes that are found to be causing MPB and then somehow kickstarting the bulge stem cells to produce hairs again. Unfortunately however, MPB is NOT a single gene BUT a whole array of genes making things VERY complicated with possible detrimental effects including organ failure and mortality!

3) Bio-engineer NEW DHT-resistant hair follicles as "hair-germs" using the donor zone as your blueprint and then implant them to form teen density. (i.e. Tsuji)

__________________________________________________ _____________

Taking on PGD2, DHT, Androgen receptors, DKK-1, FGF-9, WNTs and fibrosis is a behemoth task when the end result are hairs that are still susceptible to DHT. Moreover, trying to understand this complicated cascade of events with limited funding and then finding solutions to combat those problems would take well over 20-30 years, and will most definitely not benefit anyone born before 2000!

The gene therapy is also VERY risky and scary thought due to the heterogenous genomics of MPB. The recent finding linking MPB with heart disease highlights the cross-linking of these genes with our vital organs!

So, ultimately my educated guess would be the most realistic solution we will see in our lifetime would be in the form of the hair-germ method shown in pre-clinical trials of the Tsuji team and at least we know that it works. The only hurdle at this point is getting sufficient mesenchymal and epithelial stem cells to do it, something that will be solved within the next decade.

Hope that answers your question brother and I welcome anyone else wanting to add to this! Our collective knowledge will definitely benefit everyone on this forum

Cheers

The big question is what causes hair loss. No genetics are not the CAUSE. Show me any study that proves they are. Show that they can pull a child's genes and prove they will get hair loss. NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN. DHT is not the cause or transplants wouldn't work. PGD2 is a biproduct of the system thats causing the hair loss and inflammation. Solving these factors (PGD2, DHT, DKK1) are only temporary solutions (if at all). Its abunch of time wasting bullshit. You going to take a DHT suppressant? FINE then, play with your endocrine system. You going to put an immunosuppressant on your head to stop PGD2? FINE, but it will get in your blood, and will compromise your immune system. The focus of this community and the medical community is usually far misplaced and focuses vastly on treatment and not solutions. Stem cell therapy is the only valid solution on the rise. Pray for Nigam.

Default N.1

@Desmond, I like your post. Very technical.

Number 1 would be my bet, BUT....there is a but.

If fibrosis can be reversed, then theoretically would hair grow again?

Does not reverting fibrosis starts with deactivating androgen receptors, which in my eyes is the final solution?

Even if a teen-density yelding solution is found, as I already wrote, technology should be able to manipulate freely hair density all over human body. To miniaturize hair where we do NOT want it to grow, and to get terminal hair where we do. Androgenic receptors are to be re programmed not only on our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by youngin View Post
    The big question is what causes hair loss. No genetics are not the CAUSE. Show me any study that proves they are. Show that they can pull a child's genes and prove they will get hair loss. NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN. DHT is not the cause or transplants wouldn't work. PGD2 is a biproduct of the system thats causing the hair loss and inflammation. Solving these factors (PGD2, DHT, DKK1) are only temporary solutions (if at all). Its abunch of time wasting bullshit. You going to take a DHT suppressant? FINE then, play with your endocrine system. You going to put an immunosuppressant on your head to stop PGD2? FINE, but it will get in your blood, and will compromise your immune system. The focus of this community and the medical community is usually far misplaced and focuses vastly on treatment and not solutions. Stem cell therapy is the only valid solution on the rise. Pray for Nigam.
    Read the Garza et al., 2012 paper: 'Prostaglandin D2 Inhibits Hair Growth and Is Elevated in Bald Scalp of Men with Androgenetic Alopecia' and you will learn the exact cause. At the end of the day it is, like any other process in your body, underpinned by genetics. We are still just learning more about the mechanisms.

For those of us who are not expert enough to read and understand the Garza paper I think this is a great thread.

If anyone could explain more it would be very interesting

Desmond, what are you thoughts on Follica and the whole wounding treatment angle in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Pentarou View Post
    Desmond, what are you thoughts on Follica and the whole wounding treatment angle in general?
    he kind of answered this in his post....

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Read the Garza et al., 2012 paper: 'Prostaglandin D2 Inhibits Hair Growth and Is Elevated in Bald Scalp of Men with Androgenetic Alopecia' and you will learn the exact cause. At the end of the day it is, like any other process in your body, underpinned by genetics. We are still just learning more about the mechanisms.
    I read it as soon as it came out. So? That doesn't make it the cause, nor the ONLY issue. It could easily be your immune systems response to whatever mechanism is happening in your follicle. It really fixes nothing.

Given that a causal inhibitory effect of PGD2 on hair growth was established... it is in fact a cause. The enzyme that produces PGD2 is also known to respond to testosterone levels, so by tackling downstream levels of PGD2 it is quite possible we can even forget about androgens. Do you have a better fix than that?