Crash Diet, weight loss and Hair loss and itchiness - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Crash Diet, weight loss and Hair loss and itchiness

Dear All,

My name is Kim I am new to this forum, I am a guy. As you can all guess already, i am losing hair. I am 18 years old almost 19. Last year 2008 around may I have been starting to lose weight with a crash diet, which lasted for quite a few months, a few months after it like 3 months after the diet, i started losing hair, I think i started noticing it more when I had 2 intestinal infections. My hairline is still normal and all, but then i can see my scalp easier, and every time i get a haircut short, i can see my hair different, (well of course same hairstyle) Recently i have noticed my scalp itch. Anyone had the same problem before? I still have a full head of hair, but then i am worried. Now i cannot style my hair like before without seeing my scalp. It is very bothersome and worrying Can anyone tell me when you think hair cloning would be available?

Thanks
    Kim

If you are not genetically prone to hair loss it was most likely caused by the crash dieting. It should all grow back within a years time. You can try using head an shoulders shampoo for the itching, it should help. You can also see a doctor to check your hair out if you think it's male pattern baldness, but it sounds like it was your crash diet to me.

You should have an evaluation by a general family physician or an internist because the symptoms you are describing could be the result of a vitamin deficiency such as the early stages of rickets, beriberi, or scurvy. In the meantime, begin a multivitamin on a daily basis.

Paul Straub, MD, FACS
    www.straubmedicalcenter.com

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to get a blood test tomorrow, and I will see if the test results are nomral in a few days time. Hopefully i will get an answer, meanwhile, I am already eating properly, a lot of protein vegetables and fruits, I have been taking multi vitamins already and fishoil, Also my sleeping patterns have changed, I am starting to sleep earlier again. Any help would be appreciated =)

Thanks guys
    Kim

I have seen when you shock your body-whether by diet, injury, environmental polution, sickness or stress your hair follicles can get shocked also. This shock makes them shut down. As the body accustoms itself to the new conditions the shock wears off and the hair follicles begin to grow normally again. This can take up to 6 months. Definitely I would see your GP and get tested but also look after your diet and your body.