+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm aware of that, but to start off, $1k can get you one. If you like it, keep it going. If you don't try it, you won't know how worth it is for you. What if some one finds it worthy of spending $2k a year for it?

People spend that much, and even more, way more, on a smartphone plan+internet+2k pointless channels.

My father has been wearing a hair piece for 34 years. His take on it: a f-ing nightmare: the cost, the maintenance, the fear of being exposed in social places, the fear the sun, can't ride a motorcycle (no helmets), no swimming, the fear of the wind. But hey it was the late 70's when he started wearing, what else could he do?

At least we have other options now, we don't have to suffer the trauma of wearing a wig.

Yeah I remember reading your post abut your dad and his wig.

Hair system/wigs, whatever people want to call it, is not for me. I said it's a last resort, but really, i'd shave my head before going the hair system route, well I shave it now and you saw how bad my hair loss is. But I have seen some videos like the one I posted, that did made think about it. I think it could be an option for some. It's okay to throw that option out there, and show people how it looks in 2013.

Otherwise I agree with you. My first plan would be proven medication to stop/slow down hair loss, then FUE.

Interesting, so essentially it's worth it save a bit more.

What then would be the minimum you would spend? I really only need a bit of density and to fill in some of the hairline? I'll give a picture in a bit when i get the time.

Wouldn't say i'm interested now, but down the line being as my hair has definitely stabilized under fin, so within 2-3 years!

would 3000-4000 be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post

What then would be the minimum you would spend? I really only need a bit of density and to fill in some of the hairline? I'll give a picture in a bit when i get the time.

Wouldn't say i'm interested now, but down the line being as my hair has definitely stabilized under fin, so within 2-3 years!

Can you put up a couple of photos so we can see where your hair is at?

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yes, I think so.

With $1k or less, you can get a really good wig. I've seen these Canadian guys on youtube who made this guy look like 20 years younger with an undetectable wig.

I think it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgSiwDdcok

When I saw it, it almost made me want to go that route.

So yeah, I thought that comment was helpful. It's definitely a legit option.
    Thanks for the clarification as it initially came across as a sarcastic comment but possibly that was my error in interpretation.

Although it's true that a hair system is a viable option especially for those with advanced hair loss, there is far more to it than wearing them. I know as used to wear them myself for over a decade.

They are a pain to maintain and several systems are needed to trade-off when one is in service for hair adds, coloring, etc, etc. And the cost of these services are not cheap either.

There are more disposal types now on the market but very expensive.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Just took some quick pictures,

http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Rda...tml?sort=3&o=2

that's me over a year ago

this is me now:

http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Rda...tml?sort=3&o=1

closer look on thinning:

http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Rda...tml?sort=3&o=0

as you can see I have a little more recession on the right temple, however my density has stayed pretty much the exact same if not improved slightly since april-may of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post

You may want to assess the cost more from a clinical standpoint than the dollar amount itself. Please allow me to explain.

Once you have an idea where your new hairline would commence, the surgeon then carefully uses a marker and outlines the surface area which will potentially be the recipient zone where grafts will be placed.

The surface area will need to be measured and then both you and the doctor can agree on the level of density for that zone, such as 50 FU per cm2. You decide together the level of density which is then equated into the surface area and you come up with the estimate of grafts needed to produce the desired result.

The doctor will inform you of the clinic's graft price and you simply take the graft count times the graft price to get the total estimated cost. There could be some other minor charges which they can explain to you before the procedure but at least you have a good general idea of the budget required.

So let's say that the doctor determines with you that you will need at least 1200 grafts. If the graft price is say $4.00 US per graft then you cost would be roughly $4800.00

Then you start saving.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Just took a peek at your pics and no question you have both a diffused thinning pattern with recessionary loss as well. How old are you?

My guess is that you have men in your family history that have reached the more advanced classes of hair loss so it's a good thing that finasteride has helped stabilize the ongoing loss.

Depending on your goals, you are going to need more work than you might be aware of based on your thinning pattern as well as the loss sustained to date.

So if I were you, I would definitely wait and budget for the future.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Just took a peek at your pics and no question you have both a diffused thinning pattern with recessionary loss as well. How old are you?

My guess is that you have men in your family history that have reached the more advanced classes of hair loss so it's a good thing that finasteride has helped stabilize the ongoing loss.

Depending on your goals, you are going to need more work than you might be aware of based on your thinning pattern as well as the loss sustained to date.

So if I were you, I would definitely wait and budget for the future.
    good advice yes definitely wait.