Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brunobald
    • Jul 2013

Skin expansion grows new skin and hair in burns victims

Stumbled across this article, it talks of growing new skin on the scalp by inflation of salt water filled ballons under the skin.

I assume these must be new follicles if the original skin was scarred over?
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

*Edit. Nevermind. Link works fine now!

Comment

• brunobald
      • Jul 2013

Working now? been looking into this a bit more and it could be a bust, still intresting though. It all depends on wether the new skin is just displacing old follicles or if they are new hairs?

Comment

• brunobald
        • Jul 2013

Check out case 2. Soo much hair from so little. Evidence of new follicles?

Comment

• Baby John
          • Aug 2013

Heya Bruno,

Actually saw a case study with a little boy that suffered a terrible dog attack. Scull fractures and entire top of scalp torn off, similar to one of the children in the PDF you linked. He was initially grafted and expanders were then used. From just a horseshoe, he wound up with a full head of hair and only a scar from eyebrow to hairline to show what he had been through. There's no doubt in my mind fwiw that his skin didn't just stretch, but that over the course of the treatment(couple years), he generated new skin and hair.

I asked some knowledgeable people about it and was basically told that this can happen with kids but seems to go away around the onset of puberty.(undifferentiated cells?) With adults, it seems the tissue would be expanded and the bald area would then be excised. The adult would have a diffuse result. It's been in use to a small degree for hair loss and reconstructive plastics for a while now.

Comment

• bigentries
            • Dec 2011

So from what I understand, this is basically one of those old "scalp lift" procedures except with donor increase?

From what I read, the expansion happens in healthy skin and later is moved to the place where skin was burned

That paper is from 2004, I wonder what is stopping it from being adopted as an AGA treatment, it's not like there's no people that wouldn't care having a balloon grow inside their scalp for a while

Comment

• Baby John
              • Aug 2013

I believe one of the procedures is called a Yuri Flap.

Edit:

Google corrects me, Juri Flap...

Comment

• brunobald
                • Jul 2013

Ok so it looks like a bust at first glance. So we have definite skin growth in adults but skin and hair growth in kids.

The method is not unlike Follica or the dermarolling trial. New skin is being created along with hopefully new follicles. If this works well in young children, I wonder how dermarolling will work for kids with bald spots?

Comment

• Baby John
                  • Aug 2013

Good question...

Microwounding performed on children's scars?

Be nice to see a wow factor there.

Comment

• clarence
                    • Sep 2012

Where can we get a child?

Comment

• Hicks
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by clarence
                      Where can we get a child?
                      Some people on this forum act like children. Does that count?

Comment

• AlexieJ
                        • Jan 2016

Hey there, I was looking into the article but I think it was moved somewhere else already. Anyways, I will try to look for another one similar to this since I am very interested to know more about it.

Comment

• AlexieJ
                          • Jan 2016

I've already saw the article. It such an inspiring one and I appreciate the braveness of the child. Imagine the tragic incident happened to her but despite of that she never fail to give a smile. We might think that maybe it is because she is still a kid but all of us should not lose hope. Just wondering if the follow up procedure went successful.

Comment

Working...