New guy advice - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy advice

Default New guy advice

Hey all,

Hair has slowly been receding since my late 20s and Im almost 40 now and just really realizing and caring in the last year or 2. I have always been a head shaver even back when I was a teenager. I liked the clean look and have a decent head shape for it. Anyway, as you can see, i have frontal recession and now temples are going further and further back. Top is thinner than the sides but not too bad. I have used Rogaine for the last year, just started Nizoral again and am on the fence about .25 or .5 mg finasteride. I only want to try it if i have a high likelihood of improvement. If not I will just keep shaving or buzzing and using the rogaine and nizoral. What are your thoughts?

You are around the same age as I am, only your hair is in way better shape. Looks like you still have good coverage besides the recession. You should give fin a try. Might thicken up what you have and regrow some also. I am starting to see some regrowth in the recessed area, we will see if those hairs thicken up.

You seem willing to shave your head, so might as well try to see what treatments can do. If they don't work, go back to shaving and being a bad ass.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It might be a good idea to add Finasteride t your regimen for a while to see if you get any improvement. You can always s consider hair transplantation or the shaving the hair like you have already been doing.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    You are around the same age as I am, only your hair is in way better shape. Looks like you still have good coverage besides the recession. You should give fin a try. Might thicken up what you have and regrow some also. I am starting to see some regrowth in the recessed area, we will see if those hairs thicken up.

You seem willing to shave your head, so might as well try to see what treatments can do. If they don't work, go back to shaving and being a bad ass.
    Thanks for the response man. Saw your pics in your post and it looks like you got some great results on fin, of course like everyone else, Im concerned about side effects. have you had any? I was thinking I could start at .25 mg and start working my way up and see what happens. I usually keep my hair no longer than a 1 blade, sometimes a zero and I usually bic it every couple of months just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It might be a good idea to add Finasteride t your regimen for a while to see if you get any improvement. You can always s consider hair transplantation or the shaving the hair like you have already been doing.
    Thanks Doc. I will probably try Fin. I have never considered a transplant but the pics of the new techniques are pretty amazing compared to just 10-15 years ago.

Ease your way into fin like you have planned and you should be good to go. If you get sides then drop it.

So i got some Finpecia online and sat on it for a while... Finally decided to give it a shot and took my first .5 mg dose yesterday. Will see what happens. Hopefully sides are minimal and I can get some regrowth on the side and hairline where it is thin, but not completely bald yet. not sure how much effect it will have since Im almost 40. I have read that propecia was only tested up to age 42.

Besides the potential for sexual side effects, Im also concerned about performance in the gym, specifically effects on muscle mass. Been weight lifting for almost 20 years on and off and i have read conflicting studies that finasteride actually can increase serum T levels or that it will greatly reduce it and you will lose muscle mass. Would hate to lose strength and mass as much or more than losing my hair.

Good to here you're finally giving fin a try. One side that I did get that I hear is pretty common is the mild ball ache. I did get it and it happened on and off for the first couple of months. It was not severe and did not keep me from having sex. I stuck with it and now I don't feel any sides at all. As far as the working out and muscle mass concerns. I have been working out since my early 20's and I am in my late 30's now. I am not huge or anything like that, but I am in better shape than most guys my age. I would have not noticed any difference in my strength or muscle mass since taking fin. Not saying that it cannot happen, just that it hasn't happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Good to here you're finally giving fin a try. One side that I did get that I hear is pretty common is the mild ball ache. I did get it and it happened on and off for the first couple of months. It was not severe and did not keep me from having sex. I stuck with it and now I don't feel any sides at all. As far as the working out and muscle mass concerns. I have been working out since my early 20's and I am in my late 30's now. I am not huge or anything like that, but I am in better shape than most guys my age. I would have not noticed any difference in my strength or muscle mass since taking fin. Not saying that it cannot happen, just that it hasn't happened to me.
    Same!

Hey, see your concerns about muscle.

Just my experience, being on it for 4 months now only though, it hasn't affected the rest of my body or muscles.

I'm slowly recovering from a herniated disk (year later now, damn!) and in the last few months I've really upped my gym game as the pain is becoming more and more bearable - gaining at least 10-15lbs of muscle in that last few months.

I'm only 21, though, so it might affect you differently..