+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Round 2 (six years later) - (Pics)

Hey, what's up? I hope everyone is doing well. Anyways, as a longtime lurker, I thought it was finally time I get some opinions from you guys over here. About six years ago, I noticed a receding hairline (pics below), and I actually made a post on one of these hairloss forums. At the time, the general consensus was that I had a "mature hairline". What did I do back then? Probably the best thing ever: I stopped worrying and lived my life. Unfortunately, the worries of hair loss have snuck back into my life, and now at 22 I'd like to get an honest opinion on my hair (I can't count on family and friends).

Background:

Dad and uncles: currently have full heads of hair in their mid to late 50's
    Older Brother: Minor thinning on the crown late 20s
    Grandfathers: Maternal (strong head of hair into 40s). Bald now at 86. Paternal - same
    Mom's uncles (grandma's brothers) - One lost hair fairly young (no one knew cuz he had a wig!) and the other lost hair over an extended period.

Also, within the last year I have lost about 15 pounds, mostly due to stress, and a very bad diet. I don't know how much this can contribute to the hair loss process, but I thought I should put it out there.

Sixteen years old

Current (22 years old)

Now I'm at a point where I am debating what steps I should take, if I should take any at all. The top of the head seems to have remained OK; there seems to be a tad bit of thinning near the crown (right side) but I am unsure if that is the effect of curly hair and a cowlick. Also, I cut my hair a few days ago and hairdresser said that my scalp was full of little red dots.

What I currently use:

Nioxin System - Makes my hair feel and look nice and thick but it might be causing redness to the scalp.

Any help?

Thanks guys

Hey, at the most I would suggest minoxidil and/or finasteride. If there is a little thinning in the crown this may help. I don't see any issue with your hairline. Only my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Lucky you, your hairline from 16 to 22 is not much different. Maybe it's thicker at 16, but hairline and crown look fine. Try minoxidil and finasteride for one year, if you see progress then good for you, if you don't and you just maintain, it's still worth it because of where your hair loss is. See for me, being NW3-4, maintaining is a failure, but for an NW1-2 like you, maintaining is great.

Thanks for the response guys.

I think the hairline has pushed back a tad from when i was 16, but glad to know its held up OK for the time. My main concern is with my crown. I took a few more pictures tonight, and they look much different from the previous ones. I'm not sure if its just the effects of the cowlick + curly hair being wild, or if its actually some pretty darn fast thinning of the crown. My hair is pretty short right now too.

It looks pretty patchy too. It doesn't look like you could see the scalp through the hair, it seems as if you could see the scalp directly. Hairdresser says its cowlick causing havoc + hairdresser also noticed that the area was full of a ton of red spots. She mentioned something called psoriasis, because I even scale on side and back of head. Honestly, having some kind of temporary scalp problem is probably better than MPB, but who knows what it is.

Dermatologist appointment has been made. It's in about 4 weeks from now. I'm hoping nothing gets worse by then.

A few more after actually combing my hair; I'm not used to really combing since I usually wear my hair longer than this and I guess that "spot" was covered. Looks a bit better now, but I'm still not too happy. Honestly, I'm not asking for much, at least let me get into my thirties then who cares I'll shave it off myself!

The only thing scarier than hair loss right now is the thought of someone taking my phone and seeing the 200+ pictures that I've taken of my hair! LOL. Oh God, I guess there's worse things in life.

Hey. Your hair looks quite good. I would be happy with that

Thanks for the response Ohionin.

I am glad to hear that some of you guys think it looks OK for the time being. I've been having so much trouble really "diagnosing" my hair loss. My hair has always been fine and curly. And so, every time I take a picture (or look in the mirror) I am unsure if I'm looking at hair loss or just curly hair misplacing itself.

Right now, my concern is with the crown. If I actually comb the hair in the back, it looks alright. If I shower and let it dry on its own without combing, more scalp can be seen. Now is that thinning hair? Is it misplacement of hair? Is it the cowlick? Who the heck knows.

I guess I'll have to keep combing the back to make it look good, until I get my appointment.

As for treatments:

I'm looking to stop Nioxin and start RegenePure. Anyone know a place that ships RegenePure to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyved View Post
    Thanks for the response Ohionin.

I am glad to hear that some of you guys think it looks OK for the time being. I've been having so much trouble really "diagnosing" my hair loss. My hair has always been fine and curly. And so, every time I take a picture (or look in the mirror) I am unsure if I'm looking at hair loss or just curly hair misplacing itself.

Right now, my concern is with the crown. If I actually comb the hair in the back, it looks alright. If I shower and let it dry on its own without combing, more scalp can be seen. Now is that thinning hair? Is it misplacement of hair? Is it the cowlick? Who the heck knows.

I guess I'll have to keep combing the back to make it look good, until I get my appointment.

As for treatments:

I'm looking to stop Nioxin and start RegenePure. Anyone know a place that ships RegenePure to Canada?
    Does Amazon not ship to Canada? I bought my Regenepure off of amazon, but I live in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Does Amazon not ship to Canada? I bought my Regenepure off of amazon, but I live in the US.
    I know the company sells on Amazon, though I didn't see any shipping instructions to Canada.

I did check their website, and they sell the DR + NT package (8 oz) for about 45$ + 20$ of shipping. Shipping is nearly 50% but it seems as though it is the only way to purchase the shampoo.

Hey guys,

how's it going? Here I am once again, on my routine anxiety hair checkup...it happens every couple of months. Anyways, I took a few pictures of my crown today, where I've been wrestling with a stubborn cowlick (according to two hairdressers) and perhaps some thinning. I wanted to get some insight from you guys here.

The first two images are with some direct lighting from the window. It's fairly strong but that's what I got. I also parted my hair just a bit to make it more clear. The last pictures were take with flash in a fairly lit room. The swirl/cowlick is fairly more evident in this picture (center-right).

Now I'm not exactly sure what is up with my hair. The surrounding hair near the cowlick is pretty strong. At the same time, curly hair + cowlick has been a nightmare styling. Some days it looks like I'm losing it all, and some days it looks like I haven't shed one hair. These images will show what I mean; or I could just be losing my mind with this hair!

Let me know what you guys think. I'm sorry that I keep coming back to post, but I'm pretty sure some of you's know what the constant checking feels like. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/fcyNrZQ

http://imgur.com/ttFFD8O

http://imgur.com/byGmmSz

http://imgur.com/iXk7ltT

http://imgur.com/qxpzgQZ