+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Don't worry about coming back with anxiety; that's what the forums are for.

Others might disagree, but I don't think your crown is thinning. Given the way that the head is shaped, at some point on the back of your head the hairs have to start growing in different directions from one another. For some people, they have the "whorl" with a vortex-type shape; for others, there's just a sort of short linear area where the hair starts spreading in different directions. That's what you've got, and it tends to look thinner than the whorl because it forms a kind of a part that reveals scalp (whereas the whorl doesn't). My crown looks like yours, and I'm constantly scared that it's thinning, but it's just the way my hair grows back there.

Have you started any treatments? In the first two pics there appears to be some crown thinning. It's not bad, so don't start panicking, but it looks thinner than the rest of your head. The last few pics actually look pretty normal. I wouldn't be able to tell you were losing hair if you didn't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    Don't worry about coming back with anxiety; that's what the forums are for.

Others might disagree, but I don't think your crown is thinning. Given the way that the head is shaped, at some point on the back of your head the hairs have to start growing in different directions from one another. For some people, they have the "whorl" with a vortex-type shape; for others, there's just a sort of short linear area where the hair starts spreading in different directions. That's what you've got, and it tends to look thinner than the whorl because it forms a kind of a part that reveals scalp (whereas the whorl doesn't). My crown looks like yours, and I'm constantly scared that it's thinning, but it's just the way my hair grows back there.
    Thanks for the response win200. That's why I've been having so much trouble trying to gauge the situation in the crow area. Some days, if the hair back there falls nicely, it looks like there's absolutely nothing wrong. On the bad days, the hair falls in such a way that it looks like there's quite a bit of thinning.

There is a sort of "whorl" near the center right, but aside from that the hair seems to run in every direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Have you started any treatments? In the first two pics there appears to be some crown thinning. It's not bad, so don't start panicking, but it looks thinner than the rest of your head. The last few pics actually look pretty normal. I wouldn't be able to tell you were losing hair if you didn't say anything.
    Thanks for the response Notcoolanymore.

The only treatment I've used from the past few months is Nizoral once a week. Aside from that, I've used Nioxin as well (doesn't do much but it does make my hair look nice!).

As for the meds, I did get a prescription for Proscar from the dermatologist. I haven't taken a pill though for various reasons. For one, the dermatologist noted that the minimal thinning could be due to SD, as I would do some extreme scratching on the crown area. He also said that my hair was not bad at all, and while it could continue thinning in the short term, there's an equal chance it could stay like this for X amount of years. He recommended that I monitor it. Still though, I was there so I asked (and got!) the prescription. The second reason was due to problems I have been dealing in the testicles; my family doctor ruled out Proscar until everything was settled with this situation. (Note: the doctor did not say finasteride was good or bad, the reason was because he did not want any outside factors playing into the prior situation).

But you basically see what I see in the pictures. Some look alright, maybe a tad thinning in the crown. Others looks like there's no thinning at all, and the "Swirl" I mention in the center right. Then it gets me thinking, are the first pictures bad because the light is directly on that area? Is it the way I parted my hair? Should I move this way or that way to get a better angle? In other words, I'm obsessive and unfortunately it could, and has, ruined some of my days.

Everyone I know tells me there's nothing wrong and I'm crazy, and rather than being comforted, I get more anxious! Oh well!

Hey guys, how's it going.

I just recently got a real short haircut, and I'm having trouble gauging the current level of my hairline (Norwood stage I guess). It seems as though it hasn't really changed much since my initial post (over 3 months ago). I've been looking around the forums, and the Norwood stages vary quite a bit. I'm not too experienced, but I guess I'd say I am around a NW 2? The hair behind the hairline is also pretty strong so far.

Honestly, the sad truth is that I have a hard time trusting friends and family when I ask for an honest opinion of my hair. I guess that's why I like posting images here, since everyone is pretty straight up! Anyway, here are the pictures. I could post more if a better look is needed.

I would say NW2 at the worst. Hair still looks pretty damn good.

Dude your hair looks sooo much better than mine did at 22. I am currently 24 and I wish I had your hairline and fullness at the crown. Honestly I am not even sure that MPB has set in for you yet. My advice is to quit worrying about it and go bang some chicks.

I think you should continue worrying and remain abstinent.

I'd visit a HT surgeon for an evaluation but not for a HT but for tracking purposes and recommendations. NO HT. Most likely they will tell you to get on fin. Photos can be deceiving from lighting and hair does grow in cycles 6-7 years maybe your in that cycle? However hair might come back miniaturized setting up for MPB?

I suppose the crown could look a bit more full from looking at the last set of crown pics. Do whatever gets this off of your mind op. If rogaine will help you stop worrying about this so much try it. If jumping on fin will help you stop worrying about this so much try it. But seriously your hair looks great at least go get yourself a hot girlfriend your hair is not at all holding you back from doing that.
    Last edited by Mike K; 03-01-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: mistake