+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Avodart REGREW my hairline

Contrary to the myth that avodart destroyer's hairlines, for it is regrowing an astonishing amount of hair in the hairline.

Been on it for 10.5 months and for me it is as good as baldness cure...spectacular regrowth wouldn't be an overstatement.

Existing better quality grew much thick from 3 months on.

Had a particularly bad shed at temples, where thin/vellous hair was, but started to grow back 5-6 months in.

Temple regrowth takes quite a bit of time...previous 5mm vellous hairs are at this point pigmented very thin hair, 2cm long.

I guess the takeaway point is consistency and patience are needed to realise results, don't give up during the initial shed...it is temporary and reversible over time.

Judging from my progress, i can understand why they say peak results on propecia are at the two year mark.

Quote Originally Posted by woebehold View Post
    Contrary to the myth that avodart destroyer's hairlines, for it is regrowing an astonishing amount of hair in the hairline.

Been on it for 10.5 months and for me it is as good as baldness cure...spectacular regrowth wouldn't be an overstatement.

Existing better quality grew much thick from 3 months on.

Had a particularly bad shed at temples, where thin/vellous hair was, but started to grow back 5-6 months in.

Temple regrowth takes quite a bit of time...previous 5mm vellous hairs are at this point pigmented very thin hair, 2cm long.

I guess the takeaway point is consistency and patience are needed to realise results, don't give up during the initial shed...it is temporary and reversible over time.

Judging from my progress, i can understand why they say peak results on propecia are at the two year mark.
    Did you try propecia first? Or hop right to avo?

If so how was your experience on fin?

Dutasteride has been the closest hairloss treatment to a cure that I have used. It gave me such quick results, that the hair looked like they were growing right before my eyes. Every week there was something new going on in terms of thickening or regrowth. Unfortunately that success was short-lived, no thanks to alopecia areata. If all you have is MPB, I don't know what you are doing using anything else other than dutasteride. The only reason my hair loss is not cured from Dut is because I have two kinds of hair losses.

Do you have any pics to go along with your claim? Not that I am doubting you, but I would like to see your "spectacular regrowth". I was able to get script for propecia from my doctor, but I would imagine I would need to see a derm to get a script for Dut. I am not opposed to getting dut online, but I would at least like the peace of mind to have a Dr. recommend and prescribe it. I plan on staying on fin for at least a year before I consider dut though.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Dutasteride has been the closest hairloss treatment to a cure that I have used. It gave me such quick results, that the hair looked like they were growing right before my eyes. Every week there was something new going on in terms of thickening or regrowth. Unfortunately that success was short-lived, no thanks to alopecia areata. If all you have is MPB, I don't know what you are doing using anything else other than dutasteride. The only reason my hair loss is not cured from Dut is because I have two kinds of hair losses.
    Did you add dut to fin or are you only taking dut? I have MPB with slight thinning only at my hairline and I would consider making the switch if im not happy at the 1 year point next june

and OP you should post pics to back up your claim - although I do agree dut is supposed to be more effective than fin

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    and OP you should post pics to back up your claim - although I do agree dut is supposed to be more effective than fin
    Yeah. Not saying dut doesn't work, I have actually heard that it has helped when fin hasn't. I just want to see how much of an improvement it made. Seeing is believing, and convincing.

I am on Finpecia and Minox. Just curious to know about Dutasteride. What is it and can it be taken in addition to what I am already taking?

Quote Originally Posted by ravegrover View Post
    I am on Finpecia and Minox. Just curious to know about Dutasteride. What is it and can it be taken in addition to what I am already taking?
    It's a pill that works similar to finasteride but it's stronger. So ideally, you want to drop finasteride and start using dutasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    Did you add dut to fin or are you only taking dut? I have MPB with slight thinning only at my hairline and I would consider making the switch if im not happy at the 1 year point next june

I added dutasteride to fin for 5 months when my fin finished, then I dropped fin, but everything stayed the same, I didn't lose any hair other than the hair that alopecia areata knocked down 4 months into treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Did you try propecia first? Or hop right to avo?

If so how was your experience on fin?
    I was on propecia for 6 weeks, before starting avodart. Doctor prescribed it to me when I asked. Too short a time period to say if propecia did anything, bar a tiny bit of shedding towards the end of it, and no sides.

I initially had side effects on avodart for the first four weeks, noticeable increase in sex drive, god knows why, and a burning sensation when i took avodart on an empty stomach, but then these went away.

Always intended to go on avodart, just needed propecia in the interim while a found a doctor to prescribe it. Reason being that I'm in my twenties, and this is a very long game, so I am more than willing to take a risk I believe is minimal to stay as long above baseline as possible. Avodart was GSK's second biggest earner in 12/13...if ever there was a problem with the drug, we would know by now...I just don't buy the argument that the physiology of the population differs widely across age ranges.

No pictures unfortunately, as I never intended to measure my progress...just hope I maintained. But seriously good stuff, and transforms your entire hair...at least mine.

Happy to answer any questions about my experience.