+ Reply to Thread

Default I can't seem to get the shedding under control?

So I started noticing my temples were thinning back in February. After doing my research I jumped on propecia within weeks and I haven't lost anything cosmetically ever since. My hairline is the same with a tiny bit of recession but I'm not at all fussed, density wise I've at least maintained, maybe even thickened.

Thing is ever since the initial realisation back in Feb I've been shedding more hair than I ever did before, I go through extremely predictable phases of losing over a hundred hairs a day for a few weeks which will quickly reduce to under 20 for a few weeks only to quickly go back to 100+ again. All the hairs (or at least 99%) that fall out are long healthy hairs so it's not like the same hairs are regrowing and then shedding again.

Any ideas on the cause of this? I feel like if I go this under control and maintained the 20 a day I'd get even more regrowth.

The thing is people without MPB or any kind of hair loss, experience 100-150 hairs fallen a day. So this is normal, but for some one with MPB, those 100-150 hairs that fall off, grow back weaker and weaker until the point that they are not visible. As long as you have your DHT levels under control, don't worry about the shedding.

Also, is your NW stage getting worse because of these sheds, or is it staying the same?

It's staying the same, it hasn't moved in over half a year which is when I started propecia. My recession is only minor but I just started treatment as soon as I noticed my temples might be thinning. The sheds don't tend to do anything to my hair cosmetically so I'm sure it all regrows healthily but I just can't help but feel if I got them under control I would regrow what I've lost as I do feel my hair is probably a bit thinner than it was a year ago.

Also I just find it weird my hair does this, I know some people's hair sheds more at some times than others but mine has an almost systematic pattern to it, almost like a month on month off kind of thing. It was definitely never like this before.