+ Reply to Thread

Default 4590grafts/9731hairs in 1 session with Dr. Ron Shapiro

Hi,

Recent surgery with Dr. Ron Shapiro - A long day with almost 4600 grafts. We hope he'll keep all of us updated.

Surgery Date: 6/29/09

Graft and Hair Count:

1’s- 1065 .. 1065
    2’s- 2443 .. 4886
    3’s- 750 ... 2250
    4’s- 130 .... 520
    DFU’s- 202.. 1010
    Total grafts- 4590
    Total FU- 4792 ... Total Hairs - 9731
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG

Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG

Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG

Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG

Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.JPG

Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG

Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide7.JPG

Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2285  
    Hi, I'm the Head Tech and Surgical Manager for Shapiro Medical Group. janna@shapiromedical.com

Default Nice!

Very nice, Janna.

I am always impressed with Doctor Shapiro's work. I loved the recent video you posted, too.

Can I please ask you something? The amount of grafts in this session were obviously high --- 4000+. What sort of density did you transplant (for example, 50 grafts per square cm)? Or was it higher?

Also, when you do large sessions of this nature, do you see yield rates (graft survival) of 95% or higher? The reason I ask is because it would obviously be counterproductive to transplant a very high number of grafts if only 50% or so survived. But I do see that many doctors perform huge sessions like this, which makes me think that yield rates must be high, otherwise doctors wouldn't transplant so many grafts in a single session.

Thanks for any response!

TeeJay

Hi TJ,

The density will vary depending on where and what number follicular units the grafts are. It also depends on how much native hairs are present. For example - we typically plant 45-55 grafts per cm2 at the hairline but the grafts are 1's and 2's. We'll likely plant around 35-45 per cm2 behind the hairline with 3 and 4 hair grafts. Our doctors try to add appropriate number of grafts to achieve 50 to 60 grafts per cm2 overall, which would include the native hairs.

We hope that 100% of transplanted grafts survive, but realistically, I would think 97-98% grow, imo. We've gradually increased our session sizes to minimize any risks and so far the growth/yield seems to be what we expect.

Thanks for inquiring.
    Hi, I'm the Head Tech and Surgical Manager for Shapiro Medical Group. janna@shapiromedical.com

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Very impressive. Did you do all the placing Janna? I still think we should have a little contest between the Doc's to see who can place grafts faster and more accurately. Tell everyone in the office I said hello. I will send some updated photos of the kids.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I’m impressed! Could not tell that that's a hair transplant!

Junior Member Dr James DeYarman's Avatar

Janna
    I am interested in your graft distribution. You stated that you transplant behind the hair line 35-45 grafts per centimeter. What is your density per square centimeter in the areas where the double follicular units are transplanted? Also what is the size of the sites for your double follicular units and also what are the size of the sites for the 3 and 4 hair units? Finally what was the total square centimeters of area transplanted? Excellent case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Very impressive. Did you do all the placing Janna? I still think we should have a little contest between the Doc's to see who can place grafts faster and more accurately. Tell everyone in the office I said hello. I will send some updated photos of the kids.
    No, I didn't place them all....lol. The contest - did you just eliminate me from the competition? Well, you're smart and seen for yourself I'd win. But sure, a contest would be fun. Will look forward to the photos. We all miss you.

I apologize Dr. Deyarmin for not responding sooner.
    When our doctors make the incisions for the DFU's, they usually make approx. 20-25 incisions per cm2 but they also make incisions for 3 hair grafts to be planted in between them. So, I'd estimate the density to be approx 50 fu per cm2 in the DFU area. We use 1.7mm to 1.8mm size blades for the DFU's. For the 3 or 4 hair grafts, our docs will use .8 to .9mm size blades if sagital or 1mm blade if using a chisled blade for lateral incisions. The transplanted area address on this patient is approx. 90 to 100 cm2.

hi janna did this guy send any updates? would be cool to see them

Doctor Representative Dr. Robert J. Dorin's Avatar

can't wait to see this one Janna....an auspicious start! keeping the bar high