Could a nutritional deficiency cause a hair loss similar to MPB?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawbaldmetto
    • Jan 2013

I was just wondering because my hairline has been doing strange things once I started correcting low iron and low vit. d
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by sawbaldmetto
    Yes but it is not as likely as actually being MPB.

Comment

• burtandernie
      • Nov 2012

Too bad we never see any good studies on stuff like this. Someone do a study on a guy with no MPB and put him on a horrible diet for a month or two. I would be curious to see how big a role diet can play in hair. All we ever get is the usual guessing and talk I sometimes doubt if anyone knows much if anything on MPB

Comment

• sawbaldmetto
        • Jan 2013

because I had taken 100+ mg of zinc/day for about a month and then trying to correct acne was taking a huge dose of saw palmetto for a couple days and then stopped and then for 7+ months shed and had a receding hairline and now my hairline appears to be returning..I also started trying to correct a vit. d deficiency.

Now I take blackstrap molasses and vitamin d + a multivitamin

Look at my post 6 months before and now which has pictures. No propecia, no rogaine..actually I used rogaine ONCE.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

Somebody made a thread about this a few weeks ago. Like Tracy said, it's possible, but not likely.

Comment

• greatjob!
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by burtandernie
            Too bad we never see any good studies on stuff like this. Someone do a study on a guy with no MPB and put him on a horrible diet for a month or two. I would be curious to see how big a role diet can play in hair. All we ever get is the usual guessing and talk I sometimes doubt if anyone knows much if anything on MPB
            No need for studies just go spend a few hours at McDonalds or somewhere similar, you will see obese people with terrible diets and perfect heads of hair. The nutrition angle is the same as all environmental factors, it can cause hairloss but it's highly unusual.

Comment

• StuckInARut
              • Aug 2012

I know a friend of a friend who was having some hairloss. He went to his doctor and got a blood test which came back that he had low iron. Added some to his diet and his hair grew back. Lucky guy that it was something so simple and not actual MPB.

Comment

• sawbaldmetto
                • Jan 2013

low iron...it still would take a 7-9 months to see any sort of return I'm guessing..then again I didn't supplement iron, I just waited for it to return and now I see small hairs becoming terminal and growing. But it was almost a year ago that this happened..

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                  • Jan 2011

Bad nutrition does not cause MPB, and if it causes hair loss it definitely isn't of the permanent variety. I highly doubt it though, so many people have been on great dieting and nutrition and they still go bald. Only thing I can think of is if you were already going to have MPB, maybe a bad diet accelerates it, and even that's pushing it.

Comment

• Assemblage23
                    • Aug 2009

Sounds like denial. Denial cost me my temples. See a derm ASAP.

Comment

• PaulS94
                      • Aug 2012

I think it's really just denial...If it was diet and stress related, then I don't think it would just affect only your hairline. Hair would probably start to fall out from all over and if there is miniaturization then it's pretty much guaranteed MPB. This is what my dermatologist(s) told me...I'm probably in denial as well...The only thing that's giving me hope is that my temples have always been thin ever since I was really young. For now all I can do is wait and watch...Sucks when people go from telling you "wow, you have really thick hair" to "hey, are you going bald?" Ehh, whatever. I'm not nearly as stressed about it as I was before I shaved my head.

Comment

• burtandernie
                        • Nov 2012

I still feel diet and exercise are often used as excuses for things we just dont understand that well. I agree that MPB is not diet really at all, but if we are told hair depends on these nutritients from diet why is there no solid evidence of MPB stopping from diet? It seems diet would have some major impact if hair depends on all these nutrients constantly spouted on websites.
                        Right now given what we have you almost need to start propecia before you even have any hair problems like when the doctor looks at you and calls you crazy because you have tons of hair still.

Comment

• Morbo
                          • Jan 2012

Hairloss due to an unhealthy diet or stress will ussually result in sudden hair loss and hair falling out in 'plucks', it wont follow any pattern.

If you have recession or gradual diffuse thinning, it probably wont be anything else but mpb.

Comment

Working...