+ Reply to Thread

Question Hairpiece questions

Just have a few questions regarding hairpieces and any help would be much appreciated.

(a) Are they actually detectable and obvious, say the ones at Toplace etc?

(b) Do they actually blend in with the hair on the sides, it's just I get the idea that they are fitted on top. Or are they actually interwoven with your own hair, if so how long does this take, and could say a hair dresser perform this?

(c) How are they actually held onto the head, and can they pulled off by somebody, including during intercourse?

(d) How long do they last for?

(e) Are they designed in such a way so that if you are itching on the top of your head, you can still scratch the get rid of the itch?

(f) Why are the colours so limited, surely there should be a greater range given the diversity of hair colours out there. Or are mens natural hair colour's actually limited to the range available?

Also any personal stories/ reviews of such systems, and photos included perhaps would be much appreciated.

(a) Not really to the untrained eye.

(b) They blend with your hair.

(c) Glue on the front + clips attached to your own hair.

(d) 6 months to a year.

(e) You can scratch the itch through.

(f) If the colour doesn't suit, you may have to dye your own existing hair.

Source: my father has been wearing a piece for 33 years now.

(a) A good quality piece is effectively undetectable.

(b) This varies. There are different types of bases. Some integrate some blend.

(c) This varies depending on what you want. I wear a clip in topper that integrates and blends in perfectly with my own growing hair.

(d) This varies from person to person and the quality/durability balance of the piece you buy.

(e) I can scratch an itch without any problems.

(f) This depends on who you are buying from. I purchased my toppers from hair direct and had them match my natural hair color from samples of my own hair that I provided. The color match is perfect.

How much do hairpieces on average cost for men, including getting them fitted and glued on etc. What would be a rough estimate? Also, is it possible to attach a wig to the head without having to shave off the top bit of hair on the head?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    (c) How are they actually held onto the head, and can they pulled off by somebody, including during intercourse?
    HAHAHA! Comments like this are one of the reasons I love this forum. I don't wear a hair piece but I would imagine that it could be pulled off during sex. It isn't crazy glued on and it is meant to be removed so it is definitely a possibility. If you are in the act and she or he goes for your hair, then just move their hand someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    Just have a few questions regarding hairpieces and any help would be much appreciated.

(a) Are they actually detectable and obvious, say the ones at Toplace etc?

(b) Do they actually blend in with the hair on the sides, it's just I get the idea that they are fitted on top. Or are they actually interwoven with your own hair, if so how long does this take, and could say a hair dresser perform this?

(d) How long do they last for?

(e) Are they designed in such a way so that if you are itching on the top of your head, you can still scratch the get rid of the itch?

(f) Why are the colours so limited, surely there should be a greater range given the diversity of hair colours out there. Or are mens natural hair colour's actually limited to the range available?

Also any personal stories/ reviews of such systems, and photos included perhaps would be much appreciated.
    a) if correct specification and cut in then undetechable.

b) the blend is dependent on the hair style choosen and the skill of the stylist cutting it in. Its not physically woven in but visually blended. You should select a stylist experienced in hairpieces. To prepare, attach and cut in your first piece should take the longest at around 2 hours. Thereafter much less time is required.

c) by tape and/or glue. depends on how hard they pull and how strong your bond is. There are different strength bonds and a hairpiece will have a strongest time (when first attached and a weaker time (nearing reattachment). I remove, clean and reattach mine every 2-weeks so in those last days the bond is weaker.

d) They are at their peak in the first 6-month. With good care, you can get an extended life. Personally, I change every 6-months.

e) I use lace and yes!

f) I send a template and a hair sample and get a custom made piece. Stock pieces are by definition limited, but a custom made piece will give you a far wider choice include in colour.

Prices vary, but I pay 375USD or 235 GBP. Im in Europe.

That is a pretty good price. Today I read that somebody was going to pay 5K for 6 hair pieces. Does that price seem excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    That is a pretty good price. Today I read that somebody was going to pay 5K for 6 hair pieces. Does that price seem excessive?
    Very excessive and in truth they are playing on people's vulnerable emotional state.

At the end of the day most of the pieces originate from the same area in the world and are of a similar quality at the top. No hair piece can justify that price tag. For a similar amount I can get 21 pieces that will last me over 10-years.