Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baldymcgee
    • Mar 2013

Finasteride Responsiveness and CAG Scores

There are many of us who are weak- or non- responders to Finasteride, presumably because we have a high CAG score (the genetic test for Fin. response).

Can any doctors or other experts here explain what that means more basically?

As I understand it Fin reduces serum DHT so do high CAG scores just mean that we're *very* sensitive to any DHT in the bloodstream?

Would we be better served using Dutasteride instead of Fin?
  • baldymcgee
    • Mar 2013

bump

Did some more digging:
    In this study, 12 women and 12 men, ages 18-33 y, with androgenetic alopecia were selected for biopsies from frontal and occipital scalp sites. The androgen receptor, type I and II 5alpha-reductase, cytochrome P-450-aromatase enzyme were measured and analyzed in hair follicles from these scalp biops …

"Findings revealed that both women and men have higher levels of receptors and 5alpha-reductase type I and II in frontal hair follices [sic] than in occipital follicles"

I'm not a doctor (or a chemist or biologist) but, to me, that indicates that type I 5AR is involved in hairloss. Not just type 2.

Maybe dutasteride is something that fin-non-responders should take more seriously.

Comment

• Dan26
      • Jul 2012

I do remember a study that showed men under 26 with high DHT levels were good responders to fin

Comment

Working...