+ Reply to Thread

Default Dr. Nigam's "Donor Doubling" is?

--- Okay, this is my understanding of nigams procedure, please correct me if I'm wrong:

He extracts a follicular unit from the donor (say a 3 hair FU)

He cuts the 3 hair FU into two separate pieces (one single hair piece and a two hair piece)

He implants the 2 in the recipient area

He implants the one in the donor extraction hole

----Am I wrong or is this it?

----How is the donor doubled? it seems that you just give up recipient density for some donor density. There is no actual increase in donor.

----Lastly, haven't people been cutting follicular units for ages? they just dont put them back into the donor area. So, that is really the only difference?

EDIT: and who is Dr Mwamba? I have lurked forums for YEARS and never heard of the guy until nigam showed up.

Here is an answer I got previously from Dr. Nigam when I asked what is the difference between Invitro and Invivo (Nigam's hair doubling methods). Hope it helps"-

"HARIRI,
    My In vivo hair doubling(bisection of follicle inside the scalp) is performed the following way as below---
    1)Trimming of the donor scalp hair to 1guard.
    2)Using .6mm hollow needle(for single and doublegrafts)and .7mm to extracttriple graft manually to extract partial follicle from the donor scalp,leaving the dermal papilla /root of the follicle intact with its blood supply intact at the donor and should grow backas donor regen 100%.
    3)minimum 3mm of the follicle should be extracted, so that it has inherent bulge stemcells and a part of outer root sheath with its stemcells ,which has the capacity to develop into a complete follicle on implantation at the recipient.
    4) With invivo technique, we do not go more than 1mm deep into the epidermis and than tweeze and pluck out the partial follicle.
    Since scar forms only if we go deep to dermis like fue,hence no chance of any scar,or mark.
    5)Advantage is donor regen is 100% guaranteed but disadvantage is recipient may not regenerate 100% as the partial follicle is without dermal papilla /the root.
    6)thus in a session of a week(7days) ,we can extract 10000 plus grafts.And can repeat tis procedure after 2 to 3months.
    Hence a nw7 can be cosmetically converted to nw2 in short time.
    Invivo is like trimming your grass in your garden as against fut/due wherin there is relocation of grass from area to another,no net gain of follicles.
    7)Now u must be thinking how will recipient bisected follicle without dermal papilla/root will repair and grow into full follicle.
    This problem is overcomed by--
    a) injecting dp cells isolated from body hair in dp culture medium and inject into the recipient .
    b)Injecting autologous progenitor(active) stemcells of dermal and pithelial origin into both donor and recipient.
    c)Injecting growth factors into the donor and recipient to boost the donor and recipient regeneration.
    d)injecting extracellular matrix and prp for better healing and recovery.
    You can come to your own conclusion regarding difference between ours and others invivo technique.
    We have recently improved our invivo technique by giving eyes to it by use of ultrasound and fibrooptic camera guided bisection in vivo....so that now we can see and bisect at the right point rather than bisecting blindly.Hence better regeneration.
    This is how invitro(outside scalp bisection of follicle under magnification)
    1)Trimming of hair at the donor.
    2)Extracting the graft by.6mm(single graft),0.7mm(double graft),.8mm(triple graft).with the root /dermal papilla.i.e a complete graft.
    3)Even in this extraction there will be no scar although we are going upto dermis because of extracellular matrix .
    4)Extracted graft is bisected at the dermal papilla level(at present transversely,shortly we can make three or four bisected graft by bisecting bith transversely and longitudnally).so that both the bisected part have some dermal component also.
    5)Invitro will give much better yield as both the bisected follicle has some dermal component which has the capacity to form a complete follicle.Under magnification the bisection is more precise.(you must have seen in my 15graft patch test.....23 follicles have become 90 follicles by 18th day).
    6)Disadvantage is that we have removed the dermal papilla/root of the follicle away from it's blood supply.
    7)like invivo in this technique also we give following booster injections--
    a) injecting dp cells isolated from body hair in dp culture medium and inject into the recipient .
    b)Injecting autologous progenitor(active) stemcells of dermal and pithelial origin into both donor and recipient.
    c)Injecting growth factors into the donor and recipient to boost the donor and recipient regeneration.
    d)injecting extracellular matrix and prp for better healing and recovery.
    In your case ,as per your request we are using beard hair for strip scar revision..invitro is better because the scar implantation anyway has lesser yield ..hence better to use the root/dermal papilla portion is important and will give better yield.no scar or mark..plus all the boosters as mentioned above.Your scar is 18.6sqcms .."