View Poll Results: How many viable transplanted grafts do you count in the Interactive Links?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 7

0 0%
  • 8-9

0 0%
  • 10-11

0 0%
  • 12-13

0 0%
  • 14-15

0 0%
  • 16-17

0 0%
  • 18-19

0 0%
  • 20-21

0 0%
  • 22-23

0 0%
  • more than 24

3 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Carlos Wesley, MD's Avatar

Lightbulb Pilofocus: Growth Evaluation

Two of the questions posed to me prior to presenting the details of Pilofocus' graft harvesting technique are: 1) how do we evaluate growth of transplanted grafts and 2) how is it done objectively and in a blinded fashion? This is not overly challenging when conducted within a bald area. But what if patients in the clinical trial would like to camouflage the grafts within their pre-existing hair?

Two interactive links below illustrate this method of determining viability of transplanted grafts within a hair-bearing area. Hair viability analyses are performed in a double-blind manner. Therefore, the type of graft transplanted (FUE, FUT, or Piloscopic) is unknown to the observer. Software enables subtle adjustment of each image relative to the other (not possible here). Therefore, near-perfect alignment of hair shafts can be produced to most accurately quantify the presence or absence of transplanted hair when the patients return for follow-up evaluation.

Interactive Example #1 (superimposed before/after sans sites)
    Interactive Example #2 (includes recipient sites)

Go ahead and give counting a try. I can incorporate the results of this poll in the presentation that we have been invited to deliver at the upcoming ISHRS Meeting in San Francisco, CA next month...
    Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Wesley, MD View Post
    Two of the questions posed to me prior to presenting the details of Pilofocus' graft harvesting technique are: 1) how do we evaluate growth of transplanted grafts and 2) how is it done objectively and in a blinded fashion? This is not overly challenging when conducted within a bald area. But what if patients in the clinical trial would like to camouflage the grafts within their pre-existing hair?

Two interactive links below illustrate this method of determining viability of transplanted grafts within a hair-bearing area. Hair viability analyses are performed in a double-blind manner. Therefore, the type of graft transplanted (FUE, FUT, or Piloscopic) is unknown to the observer. Software enables subtle adjustment of each image relative to the other (not possible here). Therefore, near-perfect alignment of hair shafts can be produced to most accurately quantify the presence or absence of transplanted hair when the patients return for follow-up evaluation.

Interactive Example #1 (superimposed before/after sans sites)
    Interactive Example #2 (includes recipient sites)

Go ahead and give counting a try. I can incorporate the results of this poll in the presentation that we have been invited to deliver at the upcoming ISHRS Meeting in San Francisco, CA next month...

Very clean work Dr. Wesley,

Do you plan on addressing the possible donor regeneration in October as well? or is that not going to be until after the last trail you are running?

Also, when are you planning on releasing this technique? I emailed your office and got a response saying you were shooting for the end of 2013, but I wondered if that's changed as well?

Thanks, FTL.