+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    I'm completely bald at 23, how am I supposed to react to a post like this?

You should have read the forum before insulting us real sufferers.
    What? He has hairloss and it looks shit.

Why does everyone has to be a NW6 for people to take them seriously on here?

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyStealthy View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am a 53 year old unemployed man who has a bit of thinning that drives me mad. I always had fantastic hair. Now it's graying which is okay, I guess. But the thinning in the back really bugs me. It's not getting worse but it still bugs me. When I grow my hair longer it's easy enough to cover up this spot.

Does anyone know a good doctor in the Northern, NJ area who could do a hair transplant? About how much would it cost to correct my spot? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    TBH you are 53, some degree of hairloss is to be expected by that age. You have also been fortunant enough to have good hair for a good portion of your life.

Are you married?

Who should I pay my first visit too concerning this?
    I would strongly recommend going to a dermatologist who specialize in treating hereditary hair loss.

Thanks. I did get a subscription of Propecia but stopped using it out of fear of growing breasts. lol Does Propecia grow back old hair or merely just stop hair loss? Maybe I should start again.
    Talk this over with your doctor. The possible side effects of this medication are not common and are in fact rare - regardless of what you read on the internet.

The active ingredient of Propecia is 1mg Finasteride. This medication stops hereditary hair loss and "allows" hair that can still grow back to grow back.

The active ingredient of Rogaine is Minoxidil. This medication stimulates lost hair that can still grow back to grow back.

Using both medications in concert creates a synergistic effect - the meds help each other to work better.

Rogain takes about a year to work, right?
    Every treatment for hereditary hair loss, including hair transplant surgery, requires about 12 to 18 months to be able to see the final cosmetic results. Though you may see signs that improvement is on the horizon in as little as four months. The time frames are like this:

Rogaine = four to six months to be able to start seeing regrowth.

Propecia = 12 months to determine if your hair loss has stopped.

Hair transplant surgery = 6 to 12 months before improvement is observable. Sometimes 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline747 View Post
    there is shock loss as well tho when a transplant is done.
    Shock loss does not always happen - but it can happen - and any prospective hair transplant patient needs to be aware of that possibility.

I had massive shock loss after my second hair transplant surgery but it has largely resolved. It took a really long time to resolve and even now, more than two years later, I still have hair coming back - very very slowly.

Okay I am going to talk to a doctor this week to at least get a few free consultations for a hair transplant. It does bother me. Sorry to whoever it offends. I don't owe anyone an apology. I am also going to talk to a dermatologist about medications and shampoos. I started taking my rogaine again this morning. Rogain takes about a year to work, right?
    Healthy..... you have no need to apologize to anyone. hair loss is hair loss. its all relevant. It sucks regardless. As far as your path to correct it.....Start your research and see a few surgeons. That is harmless. just don't do anything quite yet. My advise would be for you to use Rogaine, Nizoral, and propecia for 1 full year before you do anything surgically. It is quite possible that you may improve your situation so the need for a HT is unnecessary.

.... best of luck

I'm sorry but this guy needs some perspective.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    I'm sorry but this guy needs some perspective.
    Working at Dr. Cole's office, I see a little bit of everything. We see men with a great deal of hair and only minor recession. That bothers them and they get it fixed. We also see men who became Norwood sevens, who had previous surgeries they want repaired. Their previous surgeries were performed by doctors who had no idea (or maybe they did) they man would later lose so much hair.

I have a friend who was recently inducted into the Ultra running Hall of Fame. I remember when we were 14, I met his grandfather (mother's father). He was a Norwood 7. My friend's father had a full head of hair. I was aware of genetic probabilities even back then, related to hair loss and told my friend that he would probably go bald when he got older. His response was "(expletive), I hope not". He certainly did go bald. He looks like a Norwood 6 today, but he didn't let hair loss stop him from achieving his goals. He holds 5 American running records and logged his 100,000th. mile in 2006.

We were good friends but I haven't seen him in many years. If we met and he asked me what I do, he would probably think I'm being a smart ass if I told him I work for a hair restoration physician.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Working at Dr. Cole's office, I see a little bit of everything. We see men with a great deal of hair and only minor recession. That bothers them and they get it fixed. We also see men who became Norwood sevens, who had previous surgeries they want repaired. Their previous surgeries were performed by doctors who had no idea (or maybe they did) they man would later lose so much hair.

I have a friend who was recently inducted into the Ultra running Hall of Fame. I remember when we were 14, I met his grandfather (mother's father). He was a Norwood 7. My friend's father had a full head of hair. I was aware of genetic probabilities even back then, related to hair loss and told my friend that he would probably go bald when he got older. His response was "(expletive), I hope not". He certainly did go bald. He looks like a Norwood 6 today, but he didn't let hair loss stop him from achieving his goals. He holds 5 American running records and logged his 100,000th. mile in 2006.

We were good friends but I haven't seen him in many years. If we met and he asked me what I do, he would probably think I'm being a smart ass if I told him I work for a hair restoration physician.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Its a great story, but for the majority of us we are just normal people. We dont have extraordinary talents and have pretty much had to drop whatever unrealistic dreams we ever had.
    Anyway if you have a driving factor to success that can keep you from going mad with this its great. I for one am into music (play bass, yeah Im full of great life choics), fitness, my investment properties and a few other things but honestly nothing that will give me ultra notoriety or super wealth. Im a normal everyday joe.
    I was tho a very good looking one at one point and I think its what made me take such an interest in keeping fit.
    The more and more I put in my minox and shampoo i see so much hair coming out.
    I gave the shaved thing a try for a few years actually and its awful on me.
    Sadly guys gave me compliments and girls would look away.

Being in the field can a HT ever give you the truly natural look? I mean in the end on a regular guys salary and expenses can I afford something that will make me look like it was never lost or is it a lost cause.
    At this time Im still dealing with fin after sides and with more and more hair losing IM feeling worse and worse. Plus as Ive constantly whined, looking at my brother with his head of hair makes me sick to my stomach. Hes 2 years younger than me and he looks like hes in his 20's where I look like im now hitting my 40's.
    You can guess the caliber of women we both would attract now.

I really need to do something and staring in the mirror every morning and spewing pick me ups.

Im hoping a HT now and maybe histogen later (god willing)

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swingline747 View Post
    Its a great story, but for the majority of us we are just normal people. We dont have extraordinary talents and have pretty much had to drop whatever unrealistic dreams we ever had.

Being in the field can a HT ever give you the truly natural look? I mean in the end on a regular guys salary and expenses can I afford something that will make me look like it was never lost or is it a lost cause.

Im hoping a HT now and maybe histogen later (god willing)
    My running hall of fame friend seemed to have an "endurance" gift. I actually ran against him in a relay race when we were younger. Our team was ahead and I ran directly against him and he couldn't catch me. I think hard work and determination had a lot to do with his success. The endurance "gift" didn't hurt though.

When it comes to hair transplants, they look 100% natural when done properly and no one can tell. Not all doctors are able to achieve this because there are a lot of subtle details involved in the process of creating a natural result. The best candidates are nearly always those men with dense donor hair of high caliber. Some men only end up with frontal hair loss and they can often achieve the fullest final result. When one has a lot of hair loss in the back, it's best to focus on the frontal area and hairline creating a framing of the face.

Having hair loss can actually work to a man's advantage. You may attract a less superficial woman and as you get older women care less about a man's hair. Some women find bald men more attractive. I mentioned this several times in this forum, but I will again... The most popular man I have ever met in my life with women is a Norwood 6 who shaves his head. He isn't rich by any means and has been married twice. The secret is, he has a positive charisma and knows how to talk to women. He talks to women anywhere he sees them. It's embarrassing. One day after spending time in a grocery store and Starbucks he had several women texting him wanting to go out to dinner or a movie. I remember one girl who worked at Starbucks must have been in love with him because she was always buying him something. My friend isn't that tall and has a slight peak on his shaved head. Not the perfect candidate for a shaved head.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Come on!! No serious doctor would propose a hair transplant to a candidate like you! Start minoxidil foam 5%. And just to be sure. Upload a photo with your thinning problem.