+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blood spots

Default blood spots

Last few showers I've noticed spots of blood at the graft site. Seems to be two spots that after I come out of shower I get a little blood spot. I don't scratch or use nails when I shampoo. Could this be grafts coming out at day 25, 26 post op?
    Or can it be scabs still coming off? Very strange. Anyway here's a pic.
    Any ideas? Will also say looking at it closer still seems like there is hair coming out of that spot. But not 100% sure.
    Also I play guitar so I do have rough finger tips, calluses not sure if while shampooing I did damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-08 19.45.41.jpg

Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	22960  

Hard to say. At 25 days post-op all the scabs should definitely be gone. Are you saying that it is two spots in particular where a scab is seen or is it more random?

Overall, there are a few possibilities, none of them major. Yes, a graft could be coming out which means it wasn't anchored well to begin with but you already said you see a hair exiting the spot so that theory is out. It could be that the graft(s) is getting irritated by the washing which is not something that is common. It could just be a persistent scab that is more than superficial (relatively speaking) and is just a bugger to get rid of.

I wouldn't be concerned as post-operative healing can present numerous little odd healing quirks. Overall, I think you're fine. Just try not to touch the area, let it heal up on it's own, and it will probably be just fine. If you notice it getting inflamed for no reason you might want to try dabbing a little Neosporin on a few times a day.

And finally, contact the clinic that performed your procedure and ask them abut this issue. Ultimately they should be the first place you go to for questions regarding your specific healing and recovery issues.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Jotronic
    Thanks for the reply. It seems these two spots are forming a scab. Right now that spot has a small scab and when I shampoo, It starts to bleed. Only been happening for the last few days. All the rest of the area is fine.
    I think I'm just being overly cautious. Once you have been told you have a limited donor supply every little graft starts to count.

hi,
    this is not a graft coming out or falling out. After 10 days your grafts are well secured.
    sometimes a small pimple gets popped or pressed and after the discharge you will have a bit of blood spot. Also this can be scabs as well, and yest mostly you will notice a blood spot after the shower

Nothing to worry. Just try not to touch it a lot or press it.

Had the same thing at 23 days post op.
    Last edited by mebalding; 09-09-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: error

When a graft is lost, there is a steady stream/trickle of blood that runs. But at this point in time very doubtful that you lost any grafts.

Probably just some surface bleeding at several graft sites. Sometimes when the scabbing/crusts come off, there is some slight surface bleeding. This usually heals up just fine and allow to heal without picking the scabs off. Spraying saline to the area several times a day can also help the healing.

It's also possible that you unknowingly scratched during your sleep and caused the minor bleeding.

Probably in another week those two spots should be healed, just keep an eye on them.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Guys,
    Just wanted to update this topic. Regarding these spots of blood it turned out to be folliculitus. I've noticed that these two spots are producing little pimples and usually flares up after cardio exercise.
    Today, both pimples broke and bled a little after showering. I applied pressure till it stopped then applied bactroban. Is this ok or do I need to be leaving them alone? Last 2 or 3 showers I've noticed the same spots bleeding.

Personally, I'd squeeze them till they popped then apply the ointment but clear this with your clinic first. They may think otherwise.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd time View Post
    Guys,
    Just wanted to update this topic. Regarding these spots of blood it turned out to be folliculitus. I've noticed that these two spots are producing little pimples and usually flares up after cardio exercise.
    Today, both pimples broke and bled a little after showering. I applied pressure till it stopped then applied bactroban. Is this ok or do I need to be leaving them alone? Last 2 or 3 showers I've noticed the same spots bleeding.
    Did a doctor diagnose/confirm the folliculitis? If so, surely they must have given you the medicinal advice and recommendations to treat it.

Best to contact your surgeon for advice. If the pimples get inflamed whether working out or not, that is abnormal and needs medical attention and advice.

You want to make sure this condition does not manifest itself and spread.

Wish you the best in getting some resolve.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin