+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting back on fin due to scalp itch

About two years ago, I was on fin for almost a year, but quit due to sexual side effects, combined with the fact that it didn't seem to be doing anything for my hair.

Cue forward to today, and my itchy scalp is driving me crazy. Since quitting fin I haven't been doing anything to treat my hair loss, and I'm experiencing terrible MPB itch, which is sometimes a very intense itchy sensation and at others a painful burning feeling in my skin. At this point, I've been to a number of dermatologists and none can find anything physically wrong with the skin on my head. I've tried numerous shampoos, corticosteroids, OTC and prescription topical ointments, but nothing has helped. Some of the dermatologists I consulted think that MPB itch might be neuropathic, and wanted me to take low dose gabapentin, but the side effects of that are even scarier to me than what fin can do. I've heard that it can trigger all the sexual sides associated with fin plus hallucinations, confusion, depression, suicidal ideation, and even hair loss.

I've also read that some men experience a reduction or elimination of MPB itch when on fin. At this point, I would give anything just for my head to just to feel normal again, so I've decided to get back on fin and see if that makes a difference for me. I'll take my chances with the sides, as I've gotten to the point where even that would be better than having to live with almost constant itching and scalp pain. If this doesn't work, I'm going on gabapentin. I would like to hear from people that have dealt with MPB itch. Did fin help at all and did anything else work for you?

I've been on fin one month and my mpb itch has been reduced dramaticaly. My scalp is even whiter now, vs pinkish before.

I never heard about mpb itch until I read it on here. I can remember my scalp itching for many years, just got used to it. I don't really have the same itch any more. Maybe due to fin?

I've been on fin one month and my mpb itch has been reduced dramaticaly. My scalp is even whiter now, vs pinkish before.
    How long were you on fin before you noticed the reduction in itching? I've been back on fin now for almost a week, but still feeling very itchy. I hope the itching dies down soon. My plan is to take fin for three months and see whether there is any difference.

I hate that itch with a passion. It used to hurt back then! That's how bad it was. Now it's just a constant bother, started 3rd month of fin this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    How long were you on fin before you noticed the reduction in itching? I've been back on fin now for almost a week, but still feeling very itchy. I hope the itching dies down soon. My plan is to take fin for three months and see whether there is any difference.
    For me it was almost immediate. It still comes back occasionally under stressful situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I think it was the first or second day I noticed that my scalp felt like a million bucks.

For me, the very first day I took the pill I noticed a significant reduction with the itch. I was like holy cow fin is a powerful drug. Then 3-4 days later the itch came back though not as strong. Still very annoying and spread throughout the day. 3 months really isn't enough to see anything. Give it at least 6 man.

I use clobetasol proionate foam for the itch. cures it instantly.