+ Reply to Thread

Default Quitting Finasteride

I think many people decide to get off finasteride or start slacking off and think it will be ok.

I have a friend who decided to quit finasteride cause he thought he was finally man enough to be a bald guy.

Finasteride kept his hair looking pretty good. No one would have ever described him as a balding guy. He's married and had a kid on the way and thought he was done with wanting to keep his hair.

After being on the med for 5 years, in 4 months after quitting finasteride he lost so much hair. A 4 inch radius of crown thinning and thinning in the middle and even towards the front. I guess the realization set in that he didn't want to be a bald guy and he got back on the meds. His condition has improved slightly but still very thin.

It's kind of scary how fast your hair will shed once off finasteride. So before you quit, think really really hard if you're ready to be much balder in a matter of months. Once you quit, the hair that you gained and the hair that the meds maintained, will fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by boourns View Post
    I think many people decide to get off finasteride or start slacking off and think it will be ok.

I have a friend who decided to quit finasteride cause he thought he was finally man enough to be a bald guy.

Finasteride kept his hair looking pretty good. No one would have ever described him as a balding guy. He's married and had a kid on the way and thought he was done with wanting to keep his hair.

After being on the med for 5 years, in 4 months after quitting finasteride he lost so much hair. A 4 inch radius of crown thinning and thinning in the middle and even towards the front. I guess the realization set in that he didn't want to be a bald guy and he got back on the meds. His condition has improved slightly but still very thin.

It's kind of scary how fast your hair will shed once off finasteride. So before you quit, think really really hard if you're ready to be much balder in a matter of months. Once you quit, the hair that you gained and the hair that the meds maintained, will fall out.
    Don't agree. My hair actually improved and did not shed or thin in a dramatic manner once I quit Propecia after a year of use. I think it various from person to person and exactly how much of an impact the drug was making to begin with. How much hair was dependent on the drug is key.

My hair did not improve while on Propecia, but rather effected my body negatively. Hair did not get worse after quitting on my end, but got slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by StayThick View Post
    Don't agree. My hair actually improved and did not shed or thin in a dramatic manner once I quit Propecia after a year of use. I think it various from person to person and exactly how much of an impact the drug was making to begin with. How much hair was dependent on the drug is key.

My hair did not improve while on Propecia, but rather effected my body negatively. Hair did not get worse after quitting on my end, but got slightly better.
    Yes you do have a valid point. If the drug wasn't doing anything for your hair then there probably wouldn't be any accelerated hair shedding once you get off the med.

In my friend's case he actually had regrowth from finasteride so quitting it after 5 years of having it regrow and maintain his hair made a big difference after a few months.

If you get any benefit from fin or minox, discontinued use will cause you to lose what you gained.

WHy did he quit? Side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    WHy did he quit? Side effects?
    He thought he could accept going balder and then bald but once he saw how much hair he lost in such a short period of time he got back on the meds. No one really knows how they will feel about balding until it becomes a reality.

The side effect of him not taking fin was going bald.

You should only stop taking fin if you suffer side effects or don't care about going bald.

Yes you do have a valid point. If the drug wasn't doing anything for your hair then there probably wouldn't be any accelerated hair shedding once you get off the med.

In my friend's case he actually had regrowth from finasteride so quitting it after 5 years of having it regrow and maintain his hair made a big difference after a few months.
    Probably depends on your particular mpb. Some docs have said mpb rapidly returns others say not always.

In my case I was on propecia about 5 years when I went off of it (but stayed on minox). In my case I did lose a bunch of hair in the back but not in the front. After about a year about half of it grew back in the crown.

Long story short over time my mpb started creeping back in and and recently got to the point that I went back on propecia, but on a low dose this time. If you have concerns you may try using it at a lower dose. Several of us are doing that now. So far so good for me, but too soon to know if mpb has stopped.

if you quit and then quickly go back do you think the hair you lost immediately afterward would come back?