+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finasteride effect on bodybuilding?

Hey, so far this forum has really helped me understand hair loss pretty well so I've got some more questions for you guys.

I'm 18 and these last few months I've been watching the hair on the corner of my hairline disappear, so I've ordered Proscar which I will cut into 4ths and take 4 days on/1 off. I have no idea if it's a mature hairline forming, but I dont want to wait and find out since I'm already a NW2.

I've researched the drug thoroughly and even read some studies, but one thing I cant find much information on is it's effect on muscle building. I've read about some people complaining that Finasteride made it "harder" to gain muscle, some even claiming it made them lose muscle.

Are there any scientific studies that support this?

Also, have any of you gained significant muscle mass or strength while on Finasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic12 View Post
    Are there any scientific studies that support this?
    None that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic12 View Post
    Also, have any of you gained significant muscle mass or strength while on Finasteride?
    I'm up like 8 pounds of muscle since starting fin, but I modified my diet and began seriously lifting 5-7 days a week. But yes, I have gained muscle mass - enough to get comments from friends and family . I actually have a thread showing my baseline that I've forgotten to update. I'll update it later tonight, so be on the look if interested.

It won't effect mass or strength, but it can effect the visual appearance of your muscles aka you muscles may not look as 'jacked'. Wouldn't worry about that though dude.

8lbs is definitely noticeable on anyone, good job BigThinker. Yeah I had a look at your thread, the one with the fake title lol, keep updating it I'm interested.

Dan, what do you mean by less jacked? Did you experience that yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    It won't effect mass or strength, but it can effect the visual appearance of your muscles aka you muscles may not look as 'jacked'. Wouldn't worry about that though dude.
    Any proof?

I've researched 'muscle density' a fair degree in an attempt to get 'harder' without gaining size, but that's just not how muscles work. Fibers are fibers. Muscles are harder when they're full of blood and when there's less of fat covering them. So the only way, (to my understanding), that fin could affect muscle appearance is by restricting blood flow to the muscles or causing fat to aggregate on top of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I had concerns about exactly what you're saying and came up with nothing. So, if you have proof, I'm very interested.

To me, this is like fin causing "shrinkage". I can't figure out the physiological pathway by which this would occur by DHT-inhibition.

Vic12,

It will not affect your ability to put on size or definition. I know that from good experience. If you read some of the bodybuilding forums, this is a topic discussed on them quite often.

I recall reading that DHT does not affect muscle hypertrophy or strength gains but it does affect vascularity. I'll try and find some sources for that info bro I just did a quick google and got nothing lol.

It didn't affect my vascularity in the slightest.

You will be 100% fine.

Muscles are testosterone dependant not DHT dependant, plenty of bodybuilders use fin or dut along with intramuscular testostenone injections.

Fin hasn't had any negative impact on my weightlifting. In fact I've put on 50lbs in the 10yrs I've been taking it. But I have been training consistently that entire time.