+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does it make any sense to wait?

Hi,

I've been taking Propecia by itself for 10 months now with little to no side effects and I believe my hairloss has halted/slowed down. I'd like to wait even longer (up to 18 months) and see the full effects Propecia might have on me before adding in anything else to try and help my hair loss. Would anybody recommend for or against this?

My next step would be to add Nizoral, however I can only find fragments of information on it. Is there a difference between using 1% or 2% and what is the recommendation for application?

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by YoungOne View Post
    Would anybody recommend for or against this?
    I can neither recommend for or against. As long as you are waiting for the duration of time specified by the manufacturer of the medication, you should be fine. For Propecia that time frame is 12 months. For Rogaine that time frame if six months. For LLLT the time frame is about four months.

When I started treating my hair loss, I started with LLLT. After six months it was obvious that LLLT was working so I moved on to adding Rogaine. After the next six months of LLLT and Rogaine it was obvious that I was growing hair back and I moved on to add an oral med appropriate for women's hair loss. If I were to do it all over again, I would have done it in the opposite order. Starting with the oral med for 12 months, then the topical for the next six months, then LLLT for the next six months after that.

My next step would be to add Nizoral, however I can only find fragments of information on it.
    Nizoral is not a stand alone treatment for hair loss. It is an adjunct treatment. Therefore you can add it to your regimen at any point that you like.

If you decide to use the 2% version of Nizoral, you should only use that once a week and not more often than that. If you decide to use the 1% version, you can use that up to twice a week but not more often than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I can neither recommend for or against. As long as you are waiting for the duration of time specified by the manufacturer of the medication, you should be fine. For Propecia that time frame is 12 months. For Rogaine that time frame if six months. For LLLT the time frame is about four months.

When I started treating my hair loss, I started with LLLT. After six months it was obvious that LLLT was working so I moved on to adding Rogaine. After the next six months of LLLT and Rogaine it was obvious that I was growing hair back and I moved on to add an oral med appropriate for women's hair loss. If I were to do it all over again, I would have done it in the opposite order. Starting with the oral med for 12 months, then the topical for the next six months, then LLLT for the next six months after that.

Nizoral is not a stand alone treatment for hair loss. It is an adjunct treatment. Therefore you can add it to your regimen at any point that you like.

If you decide to use the 2% version of Nizoral, you should only use that once a week and not more often than that. If you decide to use the 1% version, you can use that up to twice a week but not more often than that.
    Cant you use 2% twice a week?

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Cant you use 2% twice a week?
    You should not use 2% more than once a week. Over using Ketoconazole can damage your hair. Using just the right amount is helpful in treating hair loss - but using it too much is harmful to your hair. You need to be at a happy medium, and that happy medium for 2% is once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    You should not use 2% more than once a week. Over using Ketoconazole can damage your hair. Using just the right amount is helpful in treating hair loss - but using it too much is harmful to your hair. You need to be at a happy medium, and that happy medium for 2% is once a week.
    My pharmacy said use it twice a week. Are you sure that you cant use it twice a week?

For the treatment of dandruff you are supposed to use twice weekly fr the first two weeks only. After that, once every week.. (That's right from the label)

Perhaps that's what your pharmacist was referring to.

I just threw everything at my hair loss pretty much at once. Minox, vitamins, keto shampoo, and finally fin. I was desperate though. If you are not desperate, then you should wait it out. Then you don't have to waste time or money on treatments that you may not need. I would be afraid to stop using anything because I have no clue what is actually working.

If you have dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis absolutely add Nizoral to the mix. You want the best environment for hair growth. Pretty much cured my dandruff. Can't believe the two different dermatologists I went to never mentioned the stuff. All they told me was to purchase coal tar shampoo and gave me an expensive prescription for Clobex shampoo (clobetasol propionate) which is a strong corticosteroid that apparently can cause some serious side effects when it's absorbed systemically.

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    My pharmacy said use it twice a week. Are you sure that you cant use it twice a week?
    If you are using 2% solely as an adjunct treatment for hair loss, you should not use it more than once a week. If you are using it for other indications, you should follow your doctors directions.

Hi,

I've been taking Propecia by itself for 10 months now with little to no side effects and I believe my hairloss has halted/slowed down. I'd like to wait even longer (up to 18 months) and see the full effects Propecia might have on me before adding in anything else to try and help my hair loss. Would anybody recommend for or against this?

My next step would be to add Nizoral, however I can only find fragments of information on it. Is there a difference between using 1% or 2% and what is the recommendation for application?

Thanks all
    I think it depends on what you expect or want.

To each their own, really, as long as you're doing the treatment correctly and safely.

My personal reaction was to start doing everything I could (keto/minox/fin) within the few months that my hair line go to the point where it made me uncomfortable. That way, if it doesn't work for me one way or another, at least I know that I had tried everything available to me. Personally I'd rather spend the money now to halt and maintain, even maybe regrow while I still statistically have a decent shot at it, than to deal with uncertainty any longer than I need to. Plus, if it works out for me, I can start seeing if using less of anything will work to save money later..

That's just my theory