+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How bad was your shedding phase with propecia?

Hi all. I'm strongly considering Desmond's .25 mg of propecia every other day as my attempt to preemptively fight mpb. My questions is, for those who are on it, how bad was your shedding phase? How long did it last? How far into treatment did it begin? I appreciate everyone's input.

Also, I bought three strips of finpecia. It says that the expiration date is Feb 16. I know this is probably a stupid question, but does this mean Feb 16, 2013, or does it mean Feb 2016? Lol id rather be safe than sorry.

I started on minox for 2 months before fin, and experienced a shed while on minox during the 1st month. I don't know if I should have experienced a shed when I stared fin, but I did not have one, or I didn't notice.

As far as your expiration question, it's Feb 2016.

I took my first .25 mg of propecia a few minutes ago. I'll take the next one on Wednesday. My hair is alright, I just hope it doesn't make things worse.

Hopefully you wont experience the heavy shed that many have reported around here. If you do, still stick with it. I have heard many times that shedding is a sign that the treatment is working. It sucks, but hopefully will be back to at least normal in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticyouth View Post
    I took my first .25 mg of propecia a few minutes ago. I'll take the next one on Wednesday. My hair is alright, I just hope it doesn't make things worse.
    Good luck! keep updating

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticyouth View Post
    Hi all. I'm strongly considering Desmond's .25 mg of propecia every other day as my attempt to preemptively fight mpb. My questions is, for those who are on it, how bad was your shedding phase? How long did it last? How far into treatment did it begin? I appreciate everyone's input.

Also, I bought three strips of finpecia. It says that the expiration date is Feb 16. I know this is probably a stupid question, but does this mean Feb 16, 2013, or does it mean Feb 2016? Lol id rather be safe than sorry.
    When on a new treatment, heavy shedding is a really good sign, you should embrace it and even welcome it. It means that all those hairs will come back stronger and maybe see some new ones too. The shedding looks bad to about 3 months but then you know it was worth it. Since you're not going to take the fin like you should in terms of dosage, I expect you not to see much good results and it should take a lot longer IMO.

Had average to above average shedding the first 5 months. Then I noticed there was no longer hairs on my bathroom counter, desk, etc. Still shed 5-15 hairs in the shower to this day but it doesn't matter as long as they grow back. If your DHT is low enough via medication that it is no longer miniaturizing your hair follicles it should grow back thicker and healthier.

Well, I mean I don't think I've ever shed an abnormal amount of hairs. The main reasons I'm worried about balding are because:

1) My paternal grandfather is bald (only person in family that's bald as far as I know)

2) I read that dudes with tons of body hair tend to go bald and I have a ton of body hair.

3) I saw pics of when I was 15 --im 20 now-- and my hairline isn't as 'round'. It's 'sharper' I guess.

But the thing that worries me the most is that I occasionally shed some super thin hairs. Like they're normal length, but thinner than the rest. That's why I wanted to use propecia, as a form of prevention. I'm not really expecting to see regrowth as much as im hoping to keep what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by DesperateOne View Post
    When on a new treatment, heavy shedding is a really good sign, you should embrace it and even welcome it. It means that all those hairs will come back stronger and maybe see some new ones too. The shedding looks bad to about 3 months but then you know it was worth it. Since you're not going to take the fin like you should in terms of dosage, I expect you not to see much good results and it should take a lot longer IMO.
    Small amounts of propecia used as infrequently as every 3.5 days is almost as effective as 1mg of propecia used everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    Small amounts of propecia used as infrequently as every 3.5 days is almost as effective as 1mg of propecia used everyday.
    Really? I have heard of this before. If this is true, then the guys who experience sides should just cut their fin dose. It might help.