+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default sustance abuse/self medicating

long story short: when i was in my early teens i was heavy into drugs and almost lost my life because of it, went to treatment when i was 18 and was sober for 7 years. hair loss changed that so fast it was unbelievable. since then i have been self medicating again with drugs. does anyone else struggle with this? it's just insane how fast it caused a relapse in me.

Drugs are one thing that I have never tried. Believe me I hate hair loss as much as the next guy, but will not go to the extremes because I can't deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Drugs are one thing that I have never tried. Believe me I hate hair loss as much as the next guy, but will not go to the extremes because I can't deal with it.
    that's great to hear. this has just weakened me like nothing else, and fast.

Rather than seeking comfort in substance abuse, why not seek a doctor to help steer you in the right direction to treat your hair loss? Seems like you are only 25. If so your chances of arresting your hair loss and possibly reversing some of it are excellent.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

I'm not quite sure what you're exactly referring to with 'self-medicating' or why you're describing it that way. I understand you've had problems in the past with (presumably) hard drugs. So you're talking about a relapse, using the former drugs to forget your problems or self medicating drugs to counter your hair loss or using subscription marijuana to relief stress. Just to make sure.

yes that's what I'm referring to. anything to numb this pain

Doctor Representative

Honestly, if you know that you have had problems in the past with drugs, I would not even enter that territory again. A lot of (synthetic) drugs now-a-days, though they may make you feel good, they have a long list of side effects (short term, and even long term) Even caffeine, if you abuse it, can turn people into almost like zombies (tired all the time if they don't have it...etc.)

You have to also remember that you have a will. You have self control. You can't let these drugs control you. What I would do is slowly ween myself off of these drugs, or even stop cold turkey and get a support group. Talking to a dermatologist/doctor about your personal concerns with any hair loss is great, as well. Eating a good diet (fruits, vegetables, lean meats..etc..) void of processed food, and exercising daily can really help boost confidence, and change the way one looks at life. All of these can also help with lowering stress levels (which can contribute to hair loss)

I really hope that you take this advice to heart.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hiilikeyourbeard View Post
    yes that's what I'm referring to. anything to numb this pain
    Been there. Alcohol, cannabis, occasional rx pills got me through the long finasteride treatment process.
    If I did not get results from fin I probably never would have stopped

I imagine all that crap is bad for your hair. That alone is enough of an incentive for me to steer way the hell clear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I imagine all that crap is bad for your hair. That alone is enough of an incentive for me to steer way the hell clear of it.
    I've seen 45 year old Norwood 2s that are drunks and crackheads. does nothing