+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Don't want to take this off topic but for those guys that are really experiencing some distress this might be helpful.

Here is a good book recommendation. When I read this book several years ago I thought it was interesting because everything in the book was something I do naturally and I scored very high on the self test. Just my natural thought process which I honestly believe is something that instead of making me reclusive like so many repair patients I have spoken to helped guide me in the exact opposite direction constantly being in front of people and just living my life and reaching my own personal goals. Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Change Your Life. (Martin Seligman)

Now if your first thought is that it would be a waste of time then you are exactly the person that needs the book. I see so many with defeatist attitudes when it doesn't have to be that way.

Another interesting book that I read that kind of made me laugh because some of the techniques listed in the book are ones I just naturally used over the years to deal with the damage that was done to my scalp. Didn’t need to read about it or have someone tell me, they were techniques that just naturally kind of came to me. What I found funny was I would never have had a need to come up with these strategies if it were not for the original hair transplant procedure. I thought to myself I was much more normal before any of this and the subject material is very interesting.

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Body Dysmorphic Disorder (Sabine Wilhelm, Katharine Phillips, Gail Steketee)

I haven't contributed to this thread before but as a Norwood 6 who has been able to restore as much loss as possible that I am very happy with I thought it time I did contribute.

Norwood 6 patients look much better with a hairline that frames the face rather than slick bald this is a fact and only when you are a Norwood 6 (or heading that way) can you understand and appreciate that.

Guys who are banging on about Norwood 6's not getting surgery because they can't get full coverage and what they would consider good density just don't understand.

Now I am not saying all 6's should have surgery because the plain fact is that many do not have the donor hair to get enough grafts to make it worthwhile but if you have good donor density, good hair characteristics like coarse wavy hair and good laxity if going for strip then a decent improvement can be made with one but ideally two transplants.

Now I have been through several procedures to get where I am today but I am much happier to be the guy on the right rather the one on the left.

BTW that was photo was created using Bald booth I have never looked that way it was done for the purpose of this thread to hopefully demonstrate how much better people look with a hairline and framing the face.

Last edited by garageland; 01-17-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by garageland View Post
    I haven't contributed to this thread before but as a Norwood 6 who has been able to restore as much loss as possible that I am very happy with I thought it time I did contribute.

Norwood 6 patients look much better with a hairline that frames the face rather than slick bald this is a fact and only when you are a Norwood 6 (or heading that way) can you understand and appreciate that.

Guys who are banging on about Norwood 6's not getting surgery because they can't get full coverage and what they would consider good density just don't understand.

Now I am not saying all 6's should have surgery because the plain fact is that many do not have the donor hair to get enough grafts to make it worthwhile but if you have good donor density, good hair characteristics like coarse wavy hair and good laxity if going for strip then a decent improvement can be made with one but ideally two transplants.

Now I have been through several procedures to get where I am today but I am much happier to be the guy on the right rather the one on the left.

BTW that was photo was created using Bald booth I have never looked that way it was done for the purpose of this thread to hopefully demonstrate how much better people look with a hairline and framing the face.

Whilst I agree - the trouble is , the guy artista posted, his hair didn't flatter him. His forehead was massive.

I actually think he would have looked better if he shaved it off. He has a very masculine face.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    Don't want to take this off topic but for those guys that are really experiencing some distress this might be helpful.

Here is a good book recommendation. When I read this book several years ago I thought it was interesting because everything in the book was something I do naturally and I scored very high on the self test. Just my natural thought process which I honestly believe is something that instead of making me reclusive like so many repair patients I have spoken to helped guide me in the exact opposite direction constantly being in front of people and just living my life and reaching my own personal goals. Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Change Your Life. (Martin Seligman)

Now if your first thought is that it would be a waste of time then you are exactly the person that needs the book. I see so many with defeatist attitudes when it doesn't have to be that way.

Another interesting book that I read that kind of made me laugh because some of the techniques listed in the book are ones I just naturally used over the years to deal with the damage that was done to my scalp. Didn’t need to read about it or have someone tell me, they were techniques that just naturally kind of came to me. What I found funny was I would never have had a need to come up with these strategies if it were not for the original hair transplant procedure. I thought to myself I was much more normal before any of this and the subject material is very interesting.

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Body Dysmorphic Disorder (Sabine Wilhelm, Katharine Phillips, Gail Steketee)
    The BDD argument knocked to death.

When I was a teenager, I had 0 recession.

I did not worry about my hair at all. Actually, I used to get complimented a lot for it. It was my best feature.

I remember at the time thinking to myself "I really hope I don't bald"

Worse nightmare happened.

Since I started receeding slightly, the compliments stopped, and I am now obssessed with my hairline going back, or losing density.

BDD is thrown around the forum A LOT. When the truth is, I would not be here to begin with if I didn't lose hair. Same goes with others. It's because I noticed changes in my hair, that I seeked hairloss forums.

Hairloss is shit irrespective on what stage you are at, at least with a NW6, you know it will not progress anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    You may have hairloss (may), but your not a "hairloss sufferer", all your suffering is in your head.
    I have lost hair, I did not always have this sharp V hairline (with receeded temple points) that I have right now.

People who become NW6s, are not born one, hairloss is a progressive process.

At one point that NW6 was a NW2 like me.

See what your saying yeayeayea but to most people your degree of loss is normal/natural...Just as wrinkles and other changes in physical appearance are natural and unavoidable with age

Nothing wrong with wanting to improve your look if you can, and I'm assuming your loss is still 'progressing' and not at a stand still.

Im sure if you had your exact hair at 40 or 50 you would have no qualms about it...but at under 30 there still are a lot of guys with NW0-NW1

No one's ever complimented my hair, and I had great hair.

Who would compliment someone's hair seriously?

I'm sorry yeahyeahyeah, but we're all sure you don't have any hair loss.

Average people don't notice the difference between NW1 and NW2, even NW3.

You should seek help. You may have your place here, but certainly not in the hair transplant section.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    No one's ever complimented my hair, and I had great hair.

Who would compliment someone's hair seriously?

I'm sorry yeahyeahyeah, but we're all sure you don't have any hair loss.

Average people don't notice the difference between NW1 and NW2, even NW3.

You should seek help. You may have your place here, but certainly not in the hair transplant section.
    Women.

I can notice it, the fact that I can't style my hair how I used too is more then enough evidence.

Fred - I just think you are a bitter NW6, who won't acknowledge anyone with hairloss until they are significantly balding.

yeahyeahyeah, I think you have nice hair, no homo.....no you know what forget that, homo.

Looks really good garageland and I agree some guys that are NW6 can move forward with a procedure while others can’t for whatever reason.

Some guys without good donor might be able to just build up that lateral hump area, connect them at the top and then place a few hairs in front of it which would look normal as it is a normal balding pattern. It’s the guys that start at the hairline when they are fully bald or eventually will be there that seem to be getting bad advice. Too often it just does not look normal.

As always it comes down to numbers and the numbers for all NW6 will not be the same for many reasons, some guys might not understand this part.

Some guys have better hair caliber, higher lateral humps, smaller heads, less skin/hair contrast, higher number of multi hair groupings, etc. So most importantly there is just no one size fits all.

My comments regarding the book recommendations are not focused on BDD but the thought process. Much of cognitive therapy has been taken from neuro linguistic programming. Yes it could very well be true that you are receiving less comments about how great your hair looks but your thought process and perception of this issue if it were toned down a bit would make it easier to deal with. Some guy's don't give a rat's ass about hairloss, while some do. What are the guys that don't care doing that might be helpful to you.

Like I wrote those with defeatist attitudes can never reach the next level or learn because they don't even try. Sometimes it takes consistent trying and failing until you get there.