is it true that diffuse thinning is the worst form of baldness ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verver
    • Oct 2012

is it true that diffuse thinning is the worst form of baldness ?

i heard that it very difficult to get implants when you are a diffuse thinner because of "shock loss" or something like this (don't remember exactly)
    is this true ?
  • fred970
    • Nov 2009

It depends, the diffuse form is usually very aggressive you reach the last stage of hair loss quickly. It will not be difficult for me to have a HT as I'm already completely bald at 23.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2008

If the diffuse thinning includes the donor area that often would make the patient not a very good candidate for hair transplantation surgery.
      Dr. Glenn Charles
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• slantofreality
        • Oct 2012

Diffuse thinning really sucks. I'm a diffuse thinner and have been balding for almost a year and most of my top hair is gone. Isn't that crazy?

Comment

• optimisticyouth
          • Jul 2013

How did you guys first realize that you were diffuse thinners? Also, what are your family histories concerning mpb?

My fear is that I wouldn't realize I was one until it was too late.

I've also heard that diffuse thinners respond best to propecia.

Comment

• optimisticyouth
            • Jul 2013

If it really does progress as fast as you guys say, I'm not gonna risk it and just hop on propecia...

Comment

• verver
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by fred970
              It depends, the diffuse form is usually very aggressive you reach the last stage of hair loss quickly. It will not be difficult for me to have a HT as I'm already completely bald at 23.
              did you get used to it ? did you use finasteride before ?

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
              If the diffuse thinning includes the donor area that often would make the patient not a very good candidate for hair transplantation surgery.
              i thought that mpb only affected the hairs on the top of the head ?is there people who become completely bald ? it must be very rare
              what if the diffuse thinning affect only the top of the head ? is it possible to get implants to restore some density ?

Originally posted by slantofreality
              Diffuse thinning really sucks. I'm a diffuse thinner and have been balding for almost a year and most of my top hair is gone. Isn't that crazy?
              how old are you? did you take finasteride before ?

Originally posted by optimisticyouth
              How did you guys first realize that you were diffuse thinners? Also, what are your family histories concerning mpb?

My fear is that I wouldn't realize I was one until it was too late.

I've also heard that diffuse thinners respond best to propecia.
              my dad is diffuse thinner, i didn't realize i have mpb until 23 because i believed in this myth that you only get mpb from mother side and thought that the massive shedding was due to anxiety
              all the hairs on the top of my head are thinnig, i can see my scalp through the hairs

Comment

• slantofreality
                • Oct 2012

I realized I was going bald when I gelled my hair to go to school. I slicked it back and saw a bunch of hairs on my hands and freaked out. Then the itching came and I knew i had to be going bald. The itching is such a pain too. its pretty much non stop itch all day long. My maternal grandfather is bald. No idea is he's a diffuse thinner. My uncles from my mom's side all have thick hair with the hairline of a 12 year old. From my dad's, every guy is bald and diffuse thinners. But unlike them, my balding is progressing really fast. I saw pics when my uncles were 30 and they still had hair. Yeah, just get on fin. Even if you're on fin, you have to take it months to a year to see if it even works for you. So you'll still be losing hair while you're on it.

Comment

• Morbo
                  • Jan 2012

I'm confused slantofreality.
                  In your first post you're talking about a receding hairline, now you're a diffuse thinner.
                  People with 'pattern baldness' will eventually start thinning on other places than their hairline, but generally taken diffuse thinners have no recession.

Comment

• slantofreality
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Morbo
                    I'm confused slantofreality.
                    In your first post you're talking about a receding hairline, now you're a diffuse thinner.
                    People with 'pattern baldness' will eventually start thinning on other places than their hairline, but generally taken diffuse thinners have no recession.
                    By losing hair on top, I mean top of my head. My temples have receeded a little bit. But you can't really tell.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                      • Sep 2010

Diffuse thinner here. It was definitely pretty aggressive before meds. I did experience a bit of recession/crown thinning so diffuse thinners definitely can still follow the male pattern (PURE diffuse thinners are rare, ie NW1's with diffusion). My crown is pretty solid now but my hairline is like NW2 on one side, 1.5 on the other

I do not think diffuse is necessarily worse or better to have than the usual pattern. The key is to GET ON MEDS ASAP. In general we diffusers respond well to meds. My thinning reversed surprisingly well on fin+keto & literally this is the only reason I resumed living like a normal person
                      Am still considering transplantation to get the temple points solid & the hairline corners even (both should be NW1.5 at least). Wonder if I should try low dose spiro to see if I make any progress in those areas

Comment

• BigThinker
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
                        Diffuse thinner here. It was definitely pretty aggressive before meds. I did experience a bit of recession/crown thinning so diffuse thinners definitely can still follow the male pattern (PURE diffuse thinners are rare, ie NW1's with diffusion). My crown is pretty solid now but my hairline is like NW2 on one side, 1.5 on the other

I do not think diffuse is necessarily worse or better to have than the usual pattern. The key is to GET ON MEDS ASAP. In general we diffusers respond well to meds. My thinning reversed surprisingly well on fin+keto & literally this is the only reason I resumed living like a normal person
                        Am still considering transplantation to get the temple points solid & the hairline corners even (both should be NW1.5 at least). Wonder if I should try low dose spiro to see if I make any progress in those areas
                        Mine started just in the hairline but now it's went into diffuse mode, or it just wasn't noticeable diffusion early and it's hit a certain threshold.

Fin at 6 months hasn't really done much that I can tell and at 1 month on minox I'm going through an insane shed.

Comment

• verver
                          • Oct 2012

yeah pure diffuse thinners are rare imo, i have receding hairline and a diffuse thinning at the same time, on top of that i have asymmetric receding

Comment

• Morbo
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
                            Personally I never experienced any recession. My thinning started at one side of my head and slowly expanded to the other side and eventually all over. I started noticing at about 22-23 when I combed my wet hair that the 'bottom hair' beneath the rest of hair was a lot thinner or even not there But because it wasn't noticeable when the hair was dry (and combed the right way), I never heard about that kind of baldness, and I was only in my mid 20's that I didn't worry about it and it kind sneaked up on me.

It wasn't until a few years later when that area became a bald spot, that I knew I was ****ed. I think therein lies the biggest danger for diffuse thinners. Because it often does not follow a conventional pattern it's rather hard to spot.

This is the first time since I started balding that I've taken actual pictures of my hair. I'm 27 and I started (noticeably) balding about a year ago when I went to get a haircut and I suddenly noticed this (very minor) bald spot on the left side of my head. First I didn't think much about about it, untill half a year later I

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Morbo
                              Personally I never experienced any recession. My thinning started at one side of my head and slowly expanded to the other side and eventually all over. I started noticing at about 22-23 when I combed my wet hair that the 'bottom hair' beneath the rest of hair was a lot thinner or even not there But because it wasn't noticeable when the hair was dry (and combed the right way), I never heard about that kind of baldness, and I was only in my mid 20's that I didn't worry about it and it kind sneaked up on me.

It wasn't until a few years later when that area became a bald spot, that I knew I was ****ed. I think therein lies the biggest danger for diffuse thinners. Because it often does not follow a conventional pattern it's rather hard to spot.

This is the first time since I started balding that I've taken actual pictures of my hair. I'm 27 and I started (noticeably) balding about a year ago when I went to get a haircut and I suddenly noticed this (very minor) bald spot on the left side of my head. First I didn't think much about about it, untill half a year later I

http://i39.tinypic.com/35hgxuc.jpg
                              Your 2012 February pics.....wow, you were not kidding. That is a very interesting pattern. At least you have your facial frame intact though.

I agree, diffuse thinning is deadly like an assassin. It sneaks up on you & you do not even realize it is happening until long after the best time to start meds

Originally posted by BigThinker
                              Mine started just in the hairline but now it's went into diffuse mode, or it just wasn't noticeable diffusion early and it's hit a certain threshold.

Fin at 6 months hasn't really done much that I can tell and at 1 month on minox I'm going through an insane shed.
                              Yes most people have a combo of the typical male pattern and diffusion. It can be hard to say what starts 1st.

I think around month 6 I was pretty much done losing hair from fin (not exactly sure). The timing on that is different for everyone. Peak results were around month 15-16ish

Comment

Working...