+ Reply to Thread

Default Stopping Rogaine Cold Turkey??

I went to Dr and I mentioned since starting rogaine 9.5 months ago, I've lost a lot of hair where previously it was only slightly thinning over years. He said I am just part of the 20% for whom it doesn't work for, and that it wouldn't cause me to lose hair, just that it is not working. He told me to stop for a month and then he will write a script. My understanding was that stopping suddenly could cause another shed? That is the exact thing I am trying to avoid, so I am holding off a bit before I decide what I want to do. Has anyone stopped suddenly and lost hair because of this? I don't think I will lose what I gained- since I never did gain anything but lost a lot (All I really want to do is regain what I've lost since starting Rogain- my hair was nowhere near thin at that time).
    Thanks.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Generally there would only be a shedding after discontinuing Rogaine if it was really working for you and you have been very stable and without any hair loss or thinning. In your case you feel your situation got worse since you started using the Rogaine.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

This is where taking baseline pictures would have been very important, it's the least you can do for yourself. So did you take pictures before starting Rogaine, and id you take one now, and compared the pictures?

Doctor Representative

If you stop using Rogaine the normal hair loss process will start again. If you had any results from the Rogaine you will most likely lose that hair with 4- 5 months after stopping.
    I am the surgical coordinator for Vladimir Panine, M.D. of the Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Please feel free to contact with any questions that you may have at stewarosenbe@aol.com

View Dr. Panine's IAHRS Profile

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

This unfortunately in most cases this is true, and restarting the Rogaine does not always get you back to where you were
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

I have been using minox for about 4 months now and I believe I have seen some positive results. No I don't have a full head of hair, but definitely more than when I started. Not sure about applying it with longer hair, but with buzzed hair like mine, it is no problem at all. With the cost being as low as it is, I have no problem committing to the stuff for the rest of my life if it saves my hair. I don't know why somebody would quit using it unless they had sides or if it didn't work for them. Assuming they applied it as directed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    This unfortunately in most cases this is true, and restarting the Rogaine does not always get you back to where you were
    Definitely. I quit rogaine after 11 months, after starting propecia, thinking they did the same thing. After 3 months a huge shed ensued and now after being back on rogaine for 10 months again, definitely not where I was before I quit and shed a bunch of hair

I am going to hold off another month, stay with the Rogaine, and then see another Dr.
    I never took photos because the hair I lost prior was so minimal. I just wanted to take preventative action. I never though I would suddenly lose so much after starting Rogaine. I don't think I have to be too concerned with losing if I stop, because my top thinned out so much since starting- I never saw any benefit. But if I do wind up on Fin, then I may stick with it for awhile and see how the two interact.
    Currently I don't have a bald spot, or receding, but when my hair is wet, you see a lot more scalp than previously, and sometimes when a light is directly overhead, you can see a little scalp when dry because it isn't as thick anymore. So we will see what happens. I just keep wondering what my hair would be like had I not taking the Rogaine.