+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If this reverses my thinning, I'm cured. All I would need to do is get a HT to restore my temples.

It's wishful thinking, but I hope they have the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    If they release a hair loss formulation they will mass-produce it in much greater volumes and that will drop the price.
    You also need to realize that Allergan is heavily gouging on the price for Latisse. This exact same medication is available for a lower cost in the form of Lumigan. Many women use Lumigan for their lashes instead of Latisse. These girls are experiencing the same thickening of their lashes that Latisse provides. Which would make sense because the active ingredient (Bimatoprost) is exactly the same.

The only faith I really have in Bimatoprost is that it might be a more effective growth stimulator than Minoxidil - maybe. We will see. Either way, it certainly will not be a true cure.

They are testing three different dosage strengths of the drug against the efficacy of minoxidil. here is link;
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01325337

I see, thank you. So what they are doing it testing three strengths of Bimatoprost on the vertex and comparing them against both a placebo and a know growth stimulator.

Well, we already know that Bimatoprost does stimulate hair to grow. We are basically waiting to see if it does as well as Minoxidil or better. My educated guess is that it will do at least as well as Minoxidil. This would still be a good thing because those who do not respond to Minoxidil might respond to Bimatoprost. Another tool is almost always a good thing. If it outperforms Minoxidil - and works on more people, that would be a great thing. But it still won't be a cure.

I think it probably will outperfom minox since they'd have to strongly think it would to really pursue it. I would be interested in the mechanism of action and if it can actually actively reverse miniturisation. If it could achieve that it could be a nice tool in the arsenal for sure. As ever, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I would be interested in the mechanism of action and if it can actually actively reverse miniturisation.
    I would think it would have to do that. I use Latisse on my lashes. It has made my lashes thicker, longer and darker. How else would it be able to do that other than to increase the size of follicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I would think it would have to do that. I use Latisse on my lashes. It has made my lashes thicker, longer and darker. How else would it be able to do that other than to increase the size of follicles?
    Tracy do you look like your avatar?

Actually no. My avatar looks like a cartoon version of me. That's why I chose it.

So could Latisse actually reverse miniturisation? Obviously this will be something we'd have to take for the rest of our lives ( until future treatments are available )

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    So could Latisse actually reverse miniaturization?
    We don't know for sure yet but it makes sense that is should. Minoxidil and Finasteride both reverse miniaturization to some extent, so why not Bimatoprost? The big question is does it do a better job than Minoxidil? That we do not yet know. Many are speculating that it will. I hope it does but I am not as convinced as others that it will. We will see.

Anything and everything that actually works to treat hereditary hair loss will need to be used for the rest of ones life. Only a true cure can eliminate that requirement. The only treatments that currently have the potential to be a true cure are under development at Replicel and Aderans.