+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 yr old, hair loss in corners of hairline-miniaturized hairs

im nearly 21, and ive noticed hair loss in the corners just past my hairline about 4 or 5 months ago, it started on the left side first and then on the right side, but the thing is the hairline is still intact sort of, its just that their miniaturized. So i think im still a norwood1.
    ive noticed significant hair on the bathroom floor for the past year maybe but always thought nothing of it cos i have quite long hair.

ive seen three doctors about this, one said thats its definitely not MBP (cos i have quite severe scalp eczema, which he says can cause hair loss) one said it could be, and the other said that it most likely is because its thinning in the temples. Im awaiting the results of a blood test, to see if i have an iron or biotin deficiency, (i pretty much havent ate fruit or veggies my whole life, extremely poor nutrition).

If i start the big 3 now, can i possibly maintain what i have and even reverse the miniaturized hairs?

The short answer is yes, but I personally think that it is a mistake to start all three treatments at the same time. We know that DHT is a big factor in MPB so most people who successfully treat their hair loss start with Propecia. If you start throwing everything at it at once, you never really know which treatment is working for you.

I would say that after being on this forum from several years, the least successful people are the ones who try everything else before Propecia and then end up on Propecia anyway trying to play catch up.

Talk to your doctor about all potential side effects and make your decisions based on the scientific data, not on what you read from unconfirmed sources on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by karlgoober View Post
    im nearly 21, and ive noticed hair loss in the corners just past my hairline about 4 or 5 months ago, it started on the left side first and then on the right side, but the thing is the hairline is still intact sort of, its just that their miniaturized. So i think im still a norwood1.
    ive noticed significant hair on the bathroom floor for the past year maybe but always thought nothing of it cos i have quite long hair.

ive seen three doctors about this, one said thats its definitely not MBP (cos i have quite severe scalp eczema, which he says can cause hair loss) one said it could be, and the other said that it most likely is because its thinning in the temples. Im awaiting the results of a blood test, to see if i have an iron or biotin deficiency, (i pretty much havent ate fruit or veggies my whole life, extremely poor nutrition).

If i start the big 3 now, can i possibly maintain what i have and even reverse the miniaturized hairs?

thanks dude, still not even 100% sure if its mbp yet, but once i get the blood test back, im gonna get a scalp biopsy and go from there

No worries and good luck!

thanks dude, still not even 100% sure if its mbp yet, but once i get the blood test back, im gonna get a scalp biopsy and go from there

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I suggest you improve your diet. If you enjoy chocolate or vanilla flavor, "Garden of Life Raw Meal" is a good way to get some of what you may be missing. I don't sell this by the way, my daughter is into nutrition and got my family buying it. It's a bit pricey, but it's a great organic supplement and it gives you noticeable extra energy.

It wouldn't hurt to locate a hair restoration physician nearby who has the HairCheck technology. HairCheck will determine if there is any significant miniaturization in the areas where MPB develops.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant - Atlanta Office
    Phone 1-800-368-4247
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Hey karl, amadeus gave you some good advice. I agree with what he said but I would consider starting on minoxidil first. This is simply because your hair loss does not sound exceptionally aggressive. If you are still a NW 1 with only slight thinning on the hairline then it seems more sensible to see what results you get with minoxidil. If you don't get the results with minox or you seem to lose a little ground in the hairline area, then jump on fin and there should be no harm done. I am just starting fin myself and although I consider it to be a fairly safe drug, I don't think it should be the first line of defense with hair loss (unless the hair loss is aggressive).

Just my two cents. Good luck in whatever path you choose.