+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair loss due to prescription pill? Next steps?

Hello everyone. I'm in a bit of a panic as I'm sure many of you folks can empathize with but I'm trying my best to keep calm and focus on life instead of spending countless hours researching what I'm dealing with.

I'll outline my case below and hopefully the community can help point me in the right direction. Where do I start, what's my next step?

Before I get started I'd like to say thank you in advance for any sincere and genuine advice and/or support.

Brief family history on hair
    Mom's side - no hair loss amongst any of them men at any age
    Dad's side - minor hair loss in late 30's among half the men, more severe hair loss after 50

My story
    I'm in my late 20's and have never experienced hair loss of any kind at any point in my life. I have/had thick, dark hair (albeit greying a bit) that I'd actually have to get thinned out frequently.

About 1-2 weeks ago I noticed my hair felt different. Although I never noticed a TON of hair shedding I realized I was losing hair fast, so much so that it had altered the texture of my hair. I didn't noticed hair coming out in clumps or tons of hair on my pillow at night, but hair was definitely missing. Soon I spotted a small bald/balding spot on the back of my head near the hairline.

I was alarmed but for some reason never suspected it was genetics. It didn't even cross my mind. However, I'll admit genetics may very well be the culprit.

However...

About 4-5 weeks before my discovery I was prescribed a pill called, Doryx which I took for approximately 45 days straight and was continuing to take. I wondered if that might be causing the problem so I searched for "hair loss" and Dorxy and found this alarming discussion - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Acne/Do...ss/show/644575 - and immediately stopped taking the pill.

While there is no way for me to be 100% sure the pill has caused the problem and hair loss is not a labeled side effect, I think it's pretty obvious - but who knows...

Recap
    Had thick hair
    Thinned dramatically in about a month. During the same time span I took a pill, "Doryx"
    I stopped taking the pill and may still be losing hair but am uncertain

Can anyone recommend what I should do next to (A) determine what the problem is and (B) begin treatment? I'm not sure if this is temporary or permanent and would like to find out what my options are. Do I need a prescription, vitamins regimen, just give it time? Do I need to act fast or does timing not matter?

I've been off the pill for about 4-5 days and think I'm still losing hair but I honestly cant tell yet, my mind could be playing tricks on me.

If the pill is responsible I'm pissed and would seriously consider taking legal action yet at the same time I somewhat do hope it's the pill, I imagine my chances to recover my hair are stronger if that is the case.

Thanks again to anyone who can help or even just takes the time to read.

It very well may have been the medication that is causing the issue. It usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks for hair to shed after beginning any medication that can cause hair loss. It can also take the same amount of time or longer for your hair to get back on track and cycle normally. In other words, the shedding will not stop as soon as you stop taking the medication and can take up to a year to fully recover.

The best thing to do it to just watch it, and if you feel it's not getting any better in a couple of months see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    It very well may have been the medication that is causing the issue. It usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks for hair to shed after beginning any medication that can cause hair loss. It can also take the same amount of time or longer for your hair to get back on track and cycle normally. In other words, the shedding will not stop as soon as you stop taking the medication and can take up to a year to fully recover.

The best thing to do it to just watch it, and if you feel it's not getting any better in a couple of months see a doctor.
    Thanks for the response. Any idea if it makes sense to see that doctor sooner as opposed to later in case any preventative measures can be taken to keep more hair on my head in the meantime? Or does playing the waiting game make more sense?

Do I need to see a doctor or dermatologist? I'd prefer someone who would take the time to review my case and consider that others experienced hair loss while on this drug, not someone who simply says that hair loss isn't a known side effect...

Finally, can anyone recommend the first steps towards taking legal action? It's something I would consider but I'm not sure where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by razzer View Post
    Thanks for the response. Any idea if it makes sense to see that doctor sooner as opposed to later in case any preventative measures can be taken to keep more hair on my head in the meantime? Or does playing the waiting game make more sense?

Do I need to see a doctor or dermatologist? I'd prefer someone who would take the time to review my case and consider that others experienced hair loss while on this drug, not someone who simply says that hair loss isn't a known side effect...

Finally, can anyone recommend the first steps towards taking legal action? It's something I would consider but I'm not sure where to start.
    You don't want to start any type of hair loss treatment unless you give your body some real time to recover. Once you start down the hair loss treatment road, there is no turning back and you can make yourself worse especially if you don't even have male pattern baldness. Plus you're risking side effects from the meds.

You can see a dermatologist to have him check to see if you actually have MPB, but it might be difficult to know for sure if you are going through an active shed from your medication.

I am not sure what you expect to sue your doctor for since all side effects are usually listed for any medication that you take.

I'd like to see a doctor. Can anyone recommend a doctor that specializes in hair (not transplants) in the Houston area?

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    I am not sure what you expect to sue your doctor for since all side effects are usually listed for any medication that you take.
    I'm not looking to sue the doctor by the way, I'm interested in what my options might be in suing the manufacturer. There are several complaints about Doryx and hair loss online but it is not a listed side effect. That's why I would look to sue... and it would be for medical coverage and possibly stress, nothing exorbitant. Of course I'd have to prove the pill was the culprit, not necessarily easy but I simply want a legal consultation. I'm no lawyer.

I think it's pretty obvious several people have experienced hair loss while on Doryx but it appears to be under 2% of users.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Hello everyone. I'm in a bit of a panic as I'm sure many of you folks can empathize with but I'm trying my best to keep calm and focus on life instead of spending countless hours researching what I'm dealing with.

I'll outline my case below and hopefully the community can help point me in the right direction. Where do I start, what's my next step?

Before I get started I'd like to say thank you in advance for any sincere and genuine advice and/or support.

Dad's side - minor hair loss in late 30's among half the men, more severe hair loss after 50

My story
    I'm in my late 20's and have never experienced hair loss of any kind at any point in my life. I have/had thick, dark hair (albeit greying a bit) that I'd actually have to get thinned out frequently.

About 1-2 weeks ago I noticed my hair felt different. Although I never noticed a TON of hair shedding I realized I was losing hair fast, so much so that it had altered the texture of my hair. I didn't noticed hair coming out in clumps or tons of hair on my pillow at night, but hair was definitely missing. Soon I spotted a small bald/balding spot on the back of my head near the hairline.

I was alarmed but for some reason never suspected it was genetics. It didn't even cross my mind. However, I'll admit genetics may very well be the culprit.

However...

About 4-5 weeks before my discovery I was prescribed a pill called, Doryx which I took for approximately 45 days straight and was continuing to take. I wondered if that might be causing the problem so I searched for "hair loss" and Dorxy and found this alarming discussion - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Acne/Do...ss/show/644575 - and immediately stopped taking the pill.

While there is no way for me to be 100% sure the pill has caused the problem and hair loss is not a labeled side effect, I think it's pretty obvious - but who knows...

Recap
    Had thick hair
    Thinned dramatically in about a month. During the same time span I took a pill, "Doryx"

Can anyone recommend what I should do next to (A) determine what the problem is and (B) begin treatment? I'm not sure if this is temporary or permanent and would like to find out what my options are. Do I need a prescription, vitamins regimen, just give it time? Do I need to act fast or does timing not matter?

I've been off the pill for about 4-5 days and think I'm still losing hair but I honestly cant tell yet, my mind could be playing tricks on me.

If the pill is responsible I'm pissed and would seriously consider taking legal action yet at the same time I somewhat do hope it's the pill, I imagine my chances to recover my hair are stronger if that is the case.

I had a case of hives that refused to go away. I took an antihistamine along with glucosamine and chondroitin. The antihistamine I took had hair loss listed as a rare side effect. I began using Rogaine, the hives finally went away and my hair improved. Since you have very little hair loss in your family, you should evaluate your diet and stress level. Studies show coffee improves hair growth but some people get stressed from the caffeine. You may want to consult with a dermatologist.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant - Atlanta
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Doctor Representative

My story

However...

Recap
    Had thick hair

Hi, Razzer!

To my knowledge, hair loss resulting from medications is typically reversible, but your body will definitely need some time to heal. I believe that the best approach you can take right now is to eat a balanced diet, get moderate exercise, drink plenty of water and check out a new doctor/dermatologist. I would be careful about any future prescriptions... a lot of times they do more harm then good and actually poison your body. It's ridiculous.

I wish you luck,
    Auraria