+ Reply to Thread

Default wondering what (safe) treatments to start on early on

Hi all,

A lot of google searches on MPB led to this forum and I thought I'd finally register and ask some questions myself as you guys seem to be really knowledgeable on this topic. Background on me: I'm a 22 year old male with just the early stages of MPB; i had a free consultation at the belgravia centre for hair loss recently where i was told that i'm a norwood stage 2. slightly receding hairline and bits of thinning on the temple/crown.

basically I'd be happy with just halting the hair loss, I don't care about regrowth. but I'm also really worried about side-effects and don't want to take on too much risk. so I was wondering what you guys thought of the following treatment options:

- finasteride: seems like the most effective thing for preventing further loss/treating the actual cause, but the side effects also sound like they could be brutal, and irreversable ones arent worth the risk IMO. but is topical finasteride available/safer/just as effective?

- spironolactone: a topical cream that i can apply, which blocks DHT so tackles the cause like finasteride but without any nasty side effects. almost sounds too good to be true, is it?

- minoxidil: side effects seem minimal compared to finasteride, and i could just stop if they're bad right? however it doesnt seem like it does a good job of preventing hair loss - sounds like it just regrows lost hair but doesnt block any DHT or anything. so i dont know how well it'd work in the long-term..

- lipogaine: 5% minoxidil together with other ingredients that it claims helps to block DHT ( http://www.lipogaine.com/ingredients/ ). can anyone comment on whether it's effective? one of the main benefits seems to be that it would dry faster than generil minoxidil and the vehicle in general seems better. (does minoxidil foam also dry faster?)

- revita shampoo and nizoral shampoo: seem like minimal risk of side-effects from either, and ive heard decent things, so i guess they're a good thing to add to the list

- hairmax laser comb: really no idea on this one! some of the reviews/studies seem promising and it sounds like it could work for some people. what do you guys think?

- saw palmetto: sounds worse than finasteride. similar side effect risk but less demonstrated benefit, am i right here?

- RU: i just read about this on another topic here ( Hellouser's amazing log ) and didn't know anything about it previously. sounds like it could work blocking DHT, but sounds like a pain in the ass to mix every day! and fairly expensive too right? does it carry similar side effects to finasteride?

- fluridil: topical DHT blocker that has a couple of studies supporting its efficacy. how come there's not more talk about this? do you guys think it's another ineffective cream?

so, thats it..sorry for the long post, but i wanted to make sure to cover everything. any advice is really very appreciated! 22 is too young to go bald IMO..i wouldnt mind it later on in life, well not as much, but i'd like to stop it in its tracks for a while. (on the other hand i really dont want any permanent loss of sex drive!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	le-bald.jpg

Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	22727  

I haven't used everything that you list, so I will just speak of the stuff I have used.

Saw Palmetto - I started many years ago trying a product called Procerin, which I believe the main ingredient is saw palmetto. I used it for 6 months, it didn't work. Also tried just saw palmetto tablets from High Heath. I didn't get any results from this either.

Minoxidil - I have used it for about 3 1/2 months and I have seen some regrowth. It is not difficult for me to apply, but my hair is buzzed.

Finasteride - I have used this for 2 months with no issues. Too early to say if it is working, but it hasn't hurt my hair or my d.

Keto shampoo - I have used this for about 3 months. Not sure if it has helped, but I don't think it has hurt.

One last thing. If you are thinking of taking fin, then get information about it from a doctor. Don't waste too much time researching "fin sides" on the internet. You will just scare yourself away from using just about the best we have or guarantee sides if you do decide to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManonAnon85 View Post
    Hi all,

A lot of google searches on MPB led to this forum and I thought I'd finally register and ask some questions myself as you guys seem to be really knowledgeable on this topic. Background on me: I'm a 22 year old male with just the early stages of MPB; i had a free consultation at the belgravia centre for hair loss recently where i was told that i'm a norwood stage 2. slightly receding hairline and bits of thinning on the temple/crown.

basically I'd be happy with just halting the hair loss, I don't care about regrowth. but I'm also really worried about side-effects and don't want to take on too much risk. so I was wondering what you guys thought of the following treatment options:

- finasteride: seems like the most effective thing for preventing further loss/treating the actual cause, but the side effects also sound like they could be brutal, and irreversable ones arent worth the risk IMO. but is topical finasteride available/safer/just as effective?

- spironolactone: a topical cream that i can apply, which blocks DHT so tackles the cause like finasteride but without any nasty side effects. almost sounds too good to be true, is it?

- minoxidil: side effects seem minimal compared to finasteride, and i could just stop if they're bad right? however it doesnt seem like it does a good job of preventing hair loss - sounds like it just regrows lost hair but doesnt block any DHT or anything. so i dont know how well it'd work in the long-term..

- lipogaine: 5% minoxidil together with other ingredients that it claims helps to block DHT ( http://www.lipogaine.com/ingredients/ ). can anyone comment on whether it's effective? one of the main benefits seems to be that it would dry faster than generil minoxidil and the vehicle in general seems better. (does minoxidil foam also dry faster?)

- revita shampoo and nizoral shampoo: seem like minimal risk of side-effects from either, and ive heard decent things, so i guess they're a good thing to add to the list

- hairmax laser comb: really no idea on this one! some of the reviews/studies seem promising and it sounds like it could work for some people. what do you guys think?

- saw palmetto: sounds worse than finasteride. similar side effect risk but less demonstrated benefit, am i right here?

- RU: i just read about this on another topic here ( Hellouser's amazing log ) and didn't know anything about it previously. sounds like it could work blocking DHT, but sounds like a pain in the ass to mix every day! and fairly expensive too right? does it carry similar side effects to finasteride?

- fluridil: topical DHT blocker that has a couple of studies supporting its efficacy. how come there's not more talk about this? do you guys think it's another ineffective cream?

so, thats it..sorry for the long post, but i wanted to make sure to cover everything. any advice is really very appreciated! 22 is too young to go bald IMO..i wouldnt mind it later on in life, well not as much, but i'd like to stop it in its tracks for a while. (on the other hand i really dont want any permanent loss of sex drive!)
    Oral DHT blocker (fin or dut) is kind of non-negotiable if you are balding at 22.
    Keto 2% shampoo is also solid.
    Minoxidil works for at least the crown area & mid scalp, but you really have to commit.

The topical DHT blockers probably will not be enough on their own but might be worth trying as adjunct treatments.

thank you for the advice guys

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I haven't used everything that you list, so I will just speak of the stuff I have used.

Saw Palmetto - I started many years ago trying a product called Procerin, which I believe the main ingredient is saw palmetto. I used it for 6 months, it didn't work. Also tried just saw palmetto tablets from High Heath. I didn't get any results from this either.

Minoxidil - I have used it for about 3 1/2 months and I have seen some regrowth. It is not difficult for me to apply, but my hair is buzzed.

Finasteride - I have used this for 2 months with no issues. Too early to say if it is working, but it hasn't hurt my hair or my d.

Keto shampoo - I have used this for about 3 months. Not sure if it has helped, but I don't think it has hurt.

One last thing. If you are thinking of taking fin, then get information about it from a doctor. Don't waste too much time researching "fin sides" on the internet. You will just scare yourself away from using just about the best we have or guarantee sides if you do decide to use it.
    do you just use a generic minoxidil lotion? how long does it take to dry roughly?

you make a good point regarding fin - ive got a doctors appt set up, and hopefully i can get a referral to a dermatologist (im in the UK). i picked a male doctor to see as i thought he would be a bit more sympathetic. i want to know if i can get some hormone tests done to see whether i have a better chance of tolerating fin or not

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Oral DHT blocker (fin or dut) is kind of non-negotiable if you are balding at 22.
    Keto 2% shampoo is also solid.
    Minoxidil works for at least the crown area & mid scalp, but you really have to commit.

The topical DHT blockers probably will not be enough on their own but might be worth trying as adjunct treatments.
    what do you mean by the first part - are you saying that the fact im already balding at 22 means that im a severe case? i get that fin is definitely the best treatment around right now but i wouldnt tolerate a non-negligible chance of permanent impotence/ED to be honest

do you recommend any specific keto shampoo? i was gonna go with revita because they have a bunch of other things that they say help block DHT too.

I use generic minox. I have both liquid (drops) and foam. I prefer the liquid, but it takes a while to dry so I keep the foam for the occasions where I don't want to walk around with a greasy head.

Good luck with your doctor visit. Both of the Dr's I went to see were men and told me to deal with my hair loss and not treat it. I had to push my doctor during my last visit to write me a script for fin.

what do you mean by the first part - are you saying that the fact im already balding at 22 means that im a severe case? i get that fin is definitely the best treatment around right now but i wouldnt tolerate a non-negligible chance of permanent impotence/ED to be honest
    Typically if you are visibly balding in your early 20s you will need an oral DHT blocker at minimum to stop it. Once you have that, you can experiment with stuff like RU & other topicals.
    I started MPB in my early 20s as well. Am now on dutasteride, finasteride, keto 2%. I also take a bunch of supplements but I am not sure if they do anything.

do you recommend any specific keto shampoo? i was gonna go with revita because they have a bunch of other things that they say help block DHT too.
    I would get an rx for 2% shampoo from the pharmacy
    Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Typically if you are visibly balding in your early 20s you will need an oral DHT blocker at minimum to stop it. Once you have that, you can experiment with stuff like RU & other topicals.
    I started MPB in my early 20s as well. Am now on dutasteride, finasteride, keto 2%. I also take a bunch of supplements but I am not sure if they do anything.

you're on both fin and dut? do you mind saying how long you've been on them for? have you not experienced any side effects?

what i read about fin implies that it blocks DHT throughout your whole body, not just in your scalp, which just seems like a recipe for disaster (messing with your hormones that much cant be good can it?). so many posts on forums like this just put me off it..

you're on both fin and dut? do you mind saying how long you've been on them for? have you not experienced any side effects?

what i read about fin implies that it blocks DHT throughout your whole body, not just in your scalp, which just seems like a recipe for disaster (messing with your hormones that much cant be good can it?). so many posts on forums like this just put me off it..
    dude, first thing you need to realize about taking advice from the internet, is to take it with a grain of rice There are always ups and downs on any medicine. I can find you an article with God like results on fin and also Hellish results on fin. It can go either way. The best way to find out is take the plunge and if you notice any results then get the hell off of it or if u absolutely detest the idea of fin, stop researching and accept who you are and be at peace with never going on it but putting yourself through the idea of "should i do it or not?" for a long time does more harm to you than any drug. I wish you the best of luck amigo with whatever you do! This is also to anyone else who's hesitant on fin, dut, minox, or any other drugs out there Peace!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Hi all,

A good strategy depends on your budget and how badly you want to maintain your hair. Avodart is a very potent oral treatment that slows the progression of MPB. I know of patients who had to go on testosterone therapy while on Avodart. There are some identical twin photos on the internet showing side by side, brothers where there is a dramatic difference between the brother who used Propecia for example and the brother who did not. Not sure if the sources of these photos are reliable though. Personally, I wouldn't take an oral medication for hair loss, but that's an individual decision. I care about my hair but not so much I would risk sexual sides. Other men are fine with it.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:58 PM.