+ Reply to Thread

Default I know thinning more on one side is normal but this is ridicules.

So I know one side often recedes or thins more than the other, but this seems abnormal. My left side has thinned out way more than my right and has been doing so for almost 7 months now, right side just slowly recedes normally, staying thick for the most part, just some miniaturized hairs in the front. Here's some pictures so you can understand what I'm talking about.

Here's the bad side, my left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	22716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg

Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	22717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	22718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg

Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	22719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg

Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	22720  

And as you can see the right is pretty good, a little receeded but nothing crazy. The left has gotten to the point where it's getting really difficulty to style to hide the loss. At this rate it's only a matter of months. I don't mind receding but can it at least go back in a uniform way, and I'd take a widows peak over thin all over the front any day.

Oops, forgot picture of my good(right) side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.jpg

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	22721  

That is a very odd pattern of thinning. Although MPB loss patterns vary quite a bit that is still pretty unusual for MPB. You may have early male pattern baldness but you may have an additional cause for the uneven loss that a doctor could better help with. It's a pain in the butt however I would see a dermatologist if I were you.

I actually saw a dermatologist about a year and a half ago when I had just started to thin. He pretty much just gave me a quick look over and said "yup, probably MPB, guess you'll have to learn to deal with it" but that was before the uneven thinning was this noticeable. Guess I could see another one to be safe.

I've come to terms with the idea that I'm going to be bald one day, I just want it to happen in a non weird way, this is stupid where i can barely hide the thinning on my left side through styling where I don't even have to try to hide the slight recession on my right.

Maybe it's just because your hair has more curl on one side. It almost twists itself into a sort of pony tail and exposes the scalp. My hair always did that slightly to one particular side.

Nah, the hair on the left side is just overall thinner. With the right angle and light on it you can see much more scalp on the left and its obvious the hair's are thin, the right just has miniaturization at the front and the hairs behind that are fine. It's like the left front of my hairline decided to start going diffuse for no real reason.

I'm starting to think I'm getting a Norwood 2A but it only seems to be hitting the left side right now.

It could be a lot of things like excess sebum production on just that area of the scalp or some skin problem causing excess hair loss on that side. I'm no doctor though but both of those things are more treatable than MPB to some extent which is why another dermatologist appointment may give you some answers (though don't count on it as dermatologists aren't too helpful it seems with male hair loss issues).

It could just be the hormone receptors on that side are unevenly more sensitive than the other side. Most men have this issue where one side recedes slightly faster than the other but yours is clearly an extreme. Do you have any other uneven aspects about each side of your body? I ask this because i know much of the body's development is due to hormones, which causes MPB. For example my left big toe is slightly longer than my right, and my left arm is slightly hairier than my right, and the left side of my hair is thinner than the right. Who knows how much of a role hormones actually play in this but I feel like it might give a little insight to your issue if you do display any traits like this.

Yeah actually my whole face is a little asymmetrical, really minor and only noticeable in pictures but my left cheekbone juts out more, makes my jaw look kinda off and my left eye also has really mild ptosis, where it droops just slightly(like I said only noticeable in pictures, makes me look sleepy).

Guess I may as well schedule a derm appointment. I mean it's not gonna bring any hair back but now I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    Yeah actually my whole face is a little asymmetrical, really minor and only noticeable in pictures but my left cheekbone juts out more, makes my jaw look kinda off and my left eye also has really mild ptosis, where it droops just slightly(like I said only noticeable in pictures, makes me look sleepy).

Guess I may as well schedule a derm appointment. I mean it's not gonna bring any hair back but now I'm just curious.
    haha we are in the same boat bro, i have asymmetrical hair loss ( my right side is much more advanced than the left) same with my face,i have asymmetrical cheek bone and jaw and even eyebrow lmao