+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd time View Post
    Gillenator what do you mean by dried up graft? this was not explained to me.
    I have had Hts before and never noticed these when shedding, hence my concern.
    Is there anyway we can get a HT doctors opinion? if these pics look like normal shedding or a graft that did not survive during transplantation. In other words will not grow back.
    How many of these have you seen? I showed the photos you posted to Dr. Cole last night. He said it could possibly be a transected follicle that was placed in the recipient area.

Hopefully you don't have too many of these. I personally experienced something similar but the hair grew. I didn't have as much dried looking skin on the hair shaft though. I prefer to keep things positive because it's not the end of the world if some of the hairs don't grow. I know it's disappointing though. Keep track of these and let your hair restoration physician know. If your doctor is a long distance away, perhaps you could speak with the doctor and send him some of these for a look under the microscope.

On a positive note, please read this.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.

35yrsafter thanks for your help I agree i should remain positive but just haven't had much luck so far with my results and I really do hope these grafts do grow.

I'd say I've noticed probably over 20 and who knows if I lost anymore showering or when asleep. I did notice that a lot were 3 hair graft which were planted behind the front hairline for better density. I was upset because that's where I needed the most work.

In my HT session I was told there was a lot of popping due to my scalp laxity. The moment one would get planted one would pop out which resulted the surgery taking a very long time to finish. I'm talking over 11 hrs for 1500 grafts. By the end of it the ht doc had to take over and try to finish it up. The Dr and his staff worked very hard. I'm not sure if the popping and possible transected grafts will affect my result.

This was my third HT my first two (different doc)over 6500 grafts combined gave me a very mediocre result. The transplanted grafts could have been used in a better way than they were. My front hairline remained very thin and wispy and very little hairs put to the crown. If I can give any advice to people that are starting their journey into HT ask your Dr a lot of questions and have a clear picture of what you want. Be very specific otherwise you won't be happy.

This third procedure was to thicken up some of the front area. The moment light or sun hits my head it's like I have no hairline. Completely see through. Lets hope it grows out ok and after 7 years of work I can enjoy my results.

3rd time,

From the pics you provided, it appears to be dried out graft tissue. Normally when the crusts/scabs come off, there are not extended graft tissue attached to them. And graft tissue looks similar to your examples once it is exposed outside of the body and subsequently dried up.

After reading your last post with the grafts popping, there could have been some grafts lost (popped) that got intermingled with your hair shafts. They would appear similar to what you showed us IMHO. The good part is that there were not an abundance of them so my premonition is that most of the grafts took. And I also agree with Dr. Cole that some of them could be potentially transected. Either way, outside of the body they perish.

With some exceptions, usually the reason that grafts pop back out from placement is because the blood is not coagulating properly. This is why patients are given pre-op instructions that inform them not to consume things that potentially thins the blood like aspirin and especially alcohol related consumption. I vividly remember when I used to work inside the clinic that every now and then we would get a patient that had alcohol on their breath the morning of surgery. Sometimes they would celebrate the night before or just consumed beer the week of surgery or even the night before surgery. In almost every one of those cases, there were issues of the grafts popping back out.

And some docs will take a complete medical history at the time of consultation and note any other medical conditions and medications that could potentially present complications to the surgery. I still hear that this vital practice does not go on unfortunately.

Not that I am implying that you did something pre-operatively that thinned your blood, but when blood has adequate coagulant levels, it sort of acts like glue to hold the grafts in place within seconds of placement. As the blood clots, it holds the graft tissue until enough healing takes place (usually 72 hours) or so and then it's pretty difficult to lose the grafts from normal activity. Many techs have told me over the years that popping grafts are one of their greatest challenges in the procedure when it occurs.

Normally 1500 graft procedure would take roughly four hours to complete without any complications so reading that it took roughly 11 hours from start to finish indicates something was not normal. But glad to hear that your doctor and the staff hung in there for the full duration.

But as I said, it does not appear that you lost an abundance so hopefully you will still have a decent yield.

Hang in there and wish you the best in the coming months.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Gillenator,

This was very helpful, thank you.

My hair was long during surgery and it would not surprise me if they did get attached to my existing hair. I did ask if I should get my hair cut before the ht but I was advised that it didnt matter.

I knew about the alcohol from my first two procedures. Thats a non issue for me as I don't drink regularly. Last drink was over 2 months ago. I even stopped multi vitamins, fish oils and gym for over a week before the HT. I did bleed a lot during the procedure.

Both previous and current doc told me that my scalp laxity is unbelievable and the Doc seemed to think this was why the grafts were popping. For the last 2 hrs the Doc went over all the grafts over and over again at times pushing down on my head with his hands with a lot of force. I wasn't sure what was happening but later he explained it was due to graft popping.

It's difficult and frustrating because I have very few grafts left for down the line. Pretty much used up all my donor. Couldn't handle propecia even at extremely low doses so really hope I get some decent growth with this HT.

Given the chance to go back 7 years I would have probably shaved my head and not gone through all this.

3rd time,

In 33 years I have never heard of scalp laxity having anything to do with grafts popping.

If you bled alot then your blood was thinner than it should have been. But it's hard to say why it was too thin. You are correct in that some supplements thin the blood like those you mentioned along with vitamin E, wheat germ, etc.

Even cardio activity like running, brisk walking, can thin the blood and some docs recommend that their patients cease from this activity before surgery.

If you ever have another procedure FUE or strip, ask your doc about starting an oral coagulant like Mephyton (vitamin K) pre-operatively.

Please keep us in the loop as to your progress and again best wishes on your final result.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi guys
    It's just over the 7 month point of my 3rd HT. Just to remind you, I had about 1600 grafts to thicken up the front hairline and to basically reconnect my hairline on the sides.

As I mentioned previously, it took about 11 hrs to get this procedure done due to graft popping, excessive bleeding. I also noticed dried up grafts on my towels and pillows post op. I did in fact confirm that's what they were from the doc. (You were right Gillenator) Anyone interested can see some pics in the earlier pages of this post.... So there were a few issues on the day of surgery and post op.

At the 6 month mark, I had my follow up with doc. He said he saw "smoothness" in the front hairline and wrote "good growth" on my file. Mind you, he didn't even take a photo to add to my file. Just sent me on my way. Personally, I really can't see a change at all.

A month later, frustrated and upset at the lack of growth, I contacted doc about my concerns and have scheduled another appointment in a couple of weeks for him to take a closer look. Guys, I know that 7 months is still not my final result but I truly believe that I have had little hair growth from this third procedure. No thickness at the front and the same thin, see-through hairline.

I have more info and pics that I would like to share but I will wait to see what the doc says.

I will keep you updated after my follow up.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
    Last edited by 3rd time; 03-17-2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Error

3rd time,

You really want to ask your doc about starting Mephyton (vitamin K) in advance of the surgery. It is a coagulant and may make all of the difference in the world so that the grafts stick in place next time.

It takes a script or you can even ask him about the supplemental form of it But I think you would have to take such a large amount of it to bring the coagulant level up enough. Henceforth the pharmaceutical form works better for cosmetic surgery.

Bets wishes to you friend...
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    3rd time,

You really want to ask your doc about starting Mephyton (vitamin K) in advance of the surgery. It is a coagulant and may make all of the difference in the world so that the grafts stick in place next time.
    Vitamin k was routine for all patients with early hair restoration physicians back in the olden days. One time I forgot to take it, blood was everywhere and the surgical team as well as the doctor seemed lost.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.

You are absolutely correct Chuck. I believe it was because the surgery overall was so much more invasive, including the instruments. It was when everything was done by open donor methods (plugs), the bleeding was excruciating. In fact, I have heard of some docs keeping pints of blood on hand depending on each patients' blood type.

Back in the ole days as you say, everyone was required to start Mephyton and an anti-biotic as a pre-op. As the methodology changed, many docs dropped the coagulant from use.

When HIV first became a concern in North America, many clinics started doing pre-op labs and now that too seems to have dissipated to a great deal.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

gillenator

I had HT with Dr. Hakan and they did the blood test which was CBC, HIV and some other checks. Took the blood before HT started and after the procedure was finished, they gave me the report and told me that everything was normal. I would assume that's a routine procedure for all patients and it's kind of re-assuring that they check these things