+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair going through "waves"?

After a long bout of some sort of illness characterized by brainfog, hair shedding (200+/day), peeling/brittle/splitting nails, dry scaly skin, and patchy hair loss all over (eye brows, eye lashes, pubic hair, EVEN THAT WEIRD KNUCKLE HAIR NO ONE NOTICES!) my hair was left incredibly dry, brittle, and thin. This came after a week or more (I'm not really sure anymore) of taking zinc as a supplement (around 100mg/day) and on a high fiber diet. My iron was found to be 40ng/ml and my vitamin d levels were "insufficient" which is to say they were 27. Anyways, that was 7 or 8 months ago and although my hair is thicker and fuller, it hasn't fully recovered, and I'm now just assuming I have mpb. Hair is thickening even at the crown...

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Do you have a strong family history of genetic male pattern baldness? (Either side of the family)
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I don't know for sure - I'm adopted (makes all this medical stuff so much more confusing.)

I do know my brother (biological) has a thick head full of hair, and a very sharp well defined forehead. I've always had a slightly larger forehead than his up until the crazy hair shed I went through, and then hair volume ALL OVER my head drastically plummeted.
    Last edited by sawbaldmetto; 08-22-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added details.

Clever username. I like it.

If your hair is going through waves, I suggest you open your own surfboarding business. Let people surf on your head, with the money you earn, save up for a good HT.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Clever username. I like it.

If your hair is going through waves, I suggest you open your own surfboarding business. Let people surf on your head, with the money you earn, save up for a good HT.
    Clever quote - I like it.

I'm just hoping that this all over thinness is due to chronic TE, and in that case I can only hope it's due to the iron deficiency/vitamin D deficiency. I did know one friend who suffered hair loss from a Vitamin D deficiency and he was only at 25ng/ml. Vitamin D is more of a hormone than a vitamin so it's nothin' to mess with.

Patchy hair loss every where? I'm not a doctor but it sounds like Alopecia Areata. I have patchy hair loss on my head, beard(minor), and legs(really bad, barely have any hair, I am forced to just shave it because it looks weird).

Yeah, I think if you have patchy hair loss in your eyebrows, hair knuckle, etc. It probably is not AA. But have you gone to a dermatologist?