+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation DHT Blood Test Results Are In Using Dutas....

I am a week shy of 180 days on Dutas. I was on Fin for several years and I didn't like the results I was seeing compared to Dut (Avodart), which had been providing really solid results, but I had to switch back to Fin due to changing insurance companies. Was finally able to switch back to Dut (generic) when I decided to buy online after reading some positive posts on this site.

I am just now seeing a decrease in hair loss (after going though a major shed) and I am also seeing vellus hairs along my hair line and a couple of small dark hairs appearing along the hair line. I had no DHT baseline prior to starting Dut, but decided to get my first blood test to see where my DHT levels are now.

Anyway:

Having read a number of posts on this forum, I have seen a variety of reference ranges for DHT (I am aware reference ranges can vary greatly depending on the lab running the tests). Had my internist test my DHT, as well as getting a complete blood panel from top to bottom. The reference range provided was 16-79 and my reading was <5ng/dl.

I am quite pleased at the results and would welcome all thoughts and or comments!!!

Very nice. Aames got similar results I think.
    I have been using Dutagen on top of my Avodart, but when that runs out I will get some Dutas.
    Thanks for sharing the results

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Very nice. Aames got similar results I think.
    I have been using Dutagen on top of my Avodart, but when that runs out I will get some Dutas.
    Thanks for sharing the results
    Thanks and glad to share.

Just curious... Are you taking the Dutagen/Avodart combo in order to take more than the recommended 0.5MG per day?

EDIT: My bad, I am a few days shy of 150 on Dutas, not 180.

Sounds promising. I've been on finasteride since December 2012. Not really seeing any improvement so I've been thinking about switching to 0.5 dutasteride. 4rx has 365 of em for $188 free shipping.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It would make sense to have your DHT level checked before starting treatment with either Finasteride or Dutasteride. This way the doctor can really monitor the prescribing dosed and determine how successful the treatment is.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It would make sense to have your DHT level checked before starting treatment with either Finasteride or Dutasteride. This way the doctor can really monitor the prescribing dosed and determine how successful the treatment is.
    I agree that it would have made sense to have the test done first. With that being said, since starting on Dut again after 4 years on Fin, I am seeing a decrease in hair loss, and visible hair growth in areas where I have not seen hair (vellus or otherwise) for quite a while. Combine that with the same harmless symptoms I had while taking Avodart, along with the low DHT results and I must say that I am quite optimistic even without a DHT baseline prior to the switch back to Dut.

I am glad to hear people get success with generic dutasteride. I also use dutagen and it has definitely given me some hair back, along with Rogaine. Unfortunately, since I was an NW4 with alopecia areata, there's only so much DUt+Rogaine can do for me. I am now probably a diffused NW3 with alopecia areata, which makes it look worse. But as far as people with only MPB to battle against, Dutasteride+Rogaine will definitely work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post
    Thanks and glad to share.

Just curious... Are you taking the Dutagen/Avodart combo in order to take more than the recommended 0.5MG per day?
    Yes that is why. 3 months of Avo costs more than $400 and I did not want to double that cost, so used generic instead.
    If it was not for money I would probably take 2.5mg Avo every day

Quote Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post
    I am glad to hear people get success with generic dutasteride. I also use dutagen and it has definitely given me some hair back, along with Rogaine. Unfortunately, since I was an NW4 with alopecia areata, there's only so much DUt+Rogaine can do for me. I am now probably a diffused NW3 with alopecia areata, which makes it look worse. But as far as people with only MPB to battle against, Dutasteride+Rogaine will definitely work wonders.
    Why do you say it looks worse than before if you gained hair?

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Yes that is why. 3 months of Avo costs more than $400 and I did not want to double that cost, so used generic instead.
    If it was not for money I would probably take 2.5mg Avo every day

Why do you say it looks worse than before if you gained hair?
    Because of where the Alopecia areata spots are located, and because they are completely bald. Also, it is not worse than before, i'm saying the AA makes the MPB look worse than it really is. Wrong wording in my part.

But yeah, after like 4 months of very successful treatment of MPB with thickening and regrowth, the alopecia areata decided to come in and ruin the fun. It became aggressive and eventually the hairs on those spots fell off. I'm still on every hair loss medication I was during those 4 months of success, but the AA won't budge, it's a plague.