+ Reply to Thread

Default Ran out of 5 percent minoxidil, need help!!

Might be able to get more rogaine or kirkland minoxidil in a week, or maybe things might go bad and I wont be able to.

I want to know how much worse off is 2 percent rogaine, should I get it until I can get 5 percent and if it would help how many times should I use it ? (i use 5 percent once a day) . How long can you go without minoxidil without any negative effects? ( Im on finasteride, been on treatment for over a year, things are stable).

Quote Originally Posted by ppxrare View Post
    I want to know how much worse off is 2 percent rogaine, should I get it until I can get 5 percent and if it would help how many times should I use it ? (i use 5 percent once a day) . How long can you go without minoxidil without any negative effects? ( Im on finasteride, been on treatment for over a year, things are stable).
    If you are unable to run down to your local store to buy 5% minoxidil it is completely fine to use 2% until your supply of 5% is replenished. You would use the 2% exactly the same way you used your 5%.

It generally takes about a month after you stop using Minoxidil for problems to start happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    If you are unable to run down to your local store to buy 5% minoxidil it is completely fine to use 2% until your supply of 5% is replenished. You would use the 2% exactly the same way you used your 5%.

It generally takes about a month after you stop using Minoxidil for problems to start happening.
    Tracy, is it true nizoral has the same effect as 2% minox?

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Tracy, is it true nizoral has the same effect as 2% minox?
    There was a pilot study some years ago that showed that 2% Ketoconazole was almost as effective for treating hereditary hair loss in women as 2% Nizoral. Please note that this was only a pilot study and the conclusion pertains to women. There have been multiple re-writes and mis-interpretations of this pilot study's results floating around the internet with many of the details being altered, including declaring this was a full blown study.

It was only a pilot study. It showed that Ketoconazole is indeed helpful in treating hereditary hair loss but further study is required to determine the extent that it is helpful. So to answer your question, this is not yet known.

I've looked at some studies and have been surprised to see that while 5% minoxidil is better than 2% and 3% minoxidil, it is not all that much better. 5% is more effective, but not all that much.

Therefore, you should be ok using 2% minoxidil until you can access the full 5% strength.

I would not be comfortable using 5% for a while, and then all of sudden switch to 2%. It's not a good idea to go backwards in strength of medication when it comes to hair loss. You want to stay where you are, or when a stronger safe and effective version of minoxidil is available, you get that.

Use 2% at your hair's own risk. If you see hair loss, it's probably because of the switch. You want to switch between medications as little as possible, that is how disasters happen.

With that said, 2% is better than using nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    I would not be comfortable using 5% for a while, and then all of sudden switch to 2%. It's not a good idea to go backwards in strength of medication when it comes to hair loss. You want to stay where you are, or when a stronger safe and effective version of minoxidil is available, you get that.

Use 2% at your hair's own risk. If you see hair loss, it's probably because of the switch. You want to switch between medications as little as possible, that is how disasters happen.

With that said, 2% is better than using nothing.
    He should be fine at 2% as a temporary solution until he can refill the 5%. I went off of it cold turkey and it was right around 3 months before the shedding hit me. So 2% for a couple of week should be fine.