+ Reply to Thread
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Default Some Observations

Men who are castrated do not grow a beard or develop MPB. DHT acts like a catalyst that either produces hair growth or miniaturizes existing hair in a genetically predetermined area.
    There are structural differences between a man’s skin and a woman’s skin. Androgen (testosterone) stimulation causes an increase in skin thickness and a man’s skin is about 25% thicker than a woman’s. A man’s skin texture is tougher. Sebum (oil) production after puberty is greater in males than females.

Collagen content is directly related to the signs of skin aging and men have a higher collagen density than women. It has been claimed that a woman’s skin is roughly 15 years older than a man’s of the same age.

Personally, I remember during puberty how the skin at my chin grew thicker as if there was a thick layer of fat forming there. Sometime later, hair began to grow there.

Women have slightly more subcutaneous fat than men. Baldness is far less common in women than it is in men. Does subcutaneous fat help sustain hair growth?

Men with hair loss... Take your finger and press on the side of your head where you hair is not miniaturized and note how the skin depresses. Next press on the bald/balding area and note how that area depresses. For me the difference is like pressing a 1/4" sheet of foam rubber and pressing against a wood table top.

Obviously there are plenty of fat bald men, but what about the condition of the fat layer under the skin where hair is miniaturized?

Including adipose (fat) with grafts doesn’t affect growth in hair transplant surgery but the condition of the skin to where the grafts are placed may play a role.

Perhaps the loss of the fatty layer in balding areas is responsible for hair miniaturization:
    Yale Study

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Mine is the same, my donor region is soft and pudgy but my thinning crown is like a sheet of crate paper wraped around a hard surface.

Should we do a community trial that consists of removing fat from the donor area and injecting into thinning areas?