+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Donor pain

Default Donor pain

Hi
    I had a question about donor pain. Currently 7days post ht and noticed some swelling (almost like a lump) and pain on the right side of my donor area.
    The pain is sharp and very uncomfortable. Any ideas if this could be an infection?
    Currently I have been told to wait 48 hrs to see if pain subsides, otherwise to go in for a check up.
    Has anyone else experienced this type of throbbing pain and swelling in donor sight?
    I should mention this was my third ht and was about 1600 grafts.
    Thanks.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd time View Post
    Hi
    I had a question about donor pain. Currently 7days post ht and noticed some swelling (almost like a lump) and pain on the right side of my donor area.
    The pain is sharp and very uncomfortable. Any ideas if this could be an infection?
    Currently I have been told to wait 48 hrs to see if pain subsides, otherwise to go in for a check up.
    Has anyone else experienced this type of throbbing pain and swelling in donor sight?
    I should mention this was my third ht and was about 1600 grafts.
    Thanks.
    Contact your clinic and have them write a prescription for an antibiotic.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.

So you're saying I might have an infection and that's what is causing this pain in the donor area? I'm due to see the doctor in 6 days.

Default donor pain

My donor area was very sensitive I am almost 8 weeks out now and it is finally feeling back to normal and normal sensitivity is returning more and more every day. For about the first month I had a couple of very tender spots also last week I must have had some clogged pores due to my donor area being shaved so I used a medicated shampoo (Aveda scalp remedy) then switched back to my regular Aveda mens shampoo. Everything is cleared up and feeling fine. I asked my nurse friends what they thought about the sensitivity and from my past experiences with other surgery I was correct that nerves grow back and find new paths so they are just growing and restarting. I hope this helps you and your journey.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

So you're saying I might have an infection and that's what is causing this pain in the donor area? I'm due to see the doctor in 6 days.
    IMO, it's better to be safe and take antibiotics. Just be sure to take a good probiotic during and after the antibiotic. It was a strip surgery right?

I'm not a doctor BTW. This is my opinion and what I would do in a case of red inflammation.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, GA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Thank you both for the info. Yes it was a strip HT. Im due to see my Dr in 5 days unless the pain gets worse. He doesn't seem to think its an infection. He mentioned the nerve regeneration that jeffster spoke about.
    This was my third strip HT so my guess is this time around might take me a little longer to recover. The pain comes and goes and at this stage I'm not too worried.

3rd time,

Without a doubt my premonition would be that type of sharp pain is associated with many severed nerves throughout the donor (occipital) zone. Our scalps are enthroned with nerves and enriched with blood vessels. This is why some docs employ blood restrictors pre-operatively. In the old days, they also started their patients on a pre-op coagulant called Vitamin K which thickens the blood.

The nerve endings do heal and even regrow but takes some time to do so. This is also why some patients experience post-op numbing of the donor zone and some experience this numbness in the recipient area for months. For most, these sensations dissipate after one year, some shorter, some a tad bit longer.

Infections are rare but can occur. If you are keeping both the donor and recipient area clean, then doubtful it is an infection. Also there are many times some swelling and even oozing when there is an infection. The infection site can also be extremely sensitive to the touch. OUCH!

It is not unusual to experience this type of pain post-operatively. The sensations can even feel like bee stings. The stinging is sharp but only lasts for a very short duration. Some guys experience this stinging sensation when the regrowth breaks the surface of the scalp, especially those individuals that have a higher degree of coarseness to their hair shafts.

But like 35years stated, an antibiotic never hurts and some docs will insist their patients start them before and/or after the procedure. It sounds like there is only a few more days until you see your doctor and you will know for sure.

Meantime it would not hurt for someone like a nurse friend to take a look at the area and see if there are any signs of infection. Personally I think you are going to be fine and best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thumbs up

Appreciate the response gillenator. Im feeling better each day and will see my doc in 2 days for a quick checkup. Hopefully all is well.

Appreciate the response gillenator. Im feeling better each day and will see my doc in 2 days for a quick checkup. Hopefully all is well.
    You probably have seen your doctor by now and hope everything is fine.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin