+ Reply to Thread

Default Does your MPB show the same signs and extent as an older relative?

So, here's my thought. I was looking at photos of my grandfather today, he was 23 the day it was taken. I am also 23, i've noticed that he looks a hell of a lot like me, and that his hair has receded only on the temples but pretty much all the way back to his ears, whilst the rest of his hair is a thick and untamed bunch of curls, like mine- He died at 73 with the same more of less full head of hair... I just started fin... I'll see how it goes. But anyway here's my question,

Has anyone here observed that their hairloss has progressed a similar rate, or to the extent of a relative, perhaps someone you look like? Like, say your dad went NW 5 in his 30's and remained there and the same thing happened to you. something like that? Or does this reek of wishful thinking and it's a totally unsubstantiated notion?

I'm really curious about your question as well.

The men on my mom's side of the family become NW2s at a young age, but I'm talking VERY receded temples with a STRONG forelock. They stay that way for life.

On the other hand, a couple guys on my dad's side go almost completely bald, but it only starts around their 40s.

I hope I follow either one of these patterns, and don't keep losing my hair at 18.

Also, please let me know what side effects you start to get on fin. I'm thinking about starting if my crown becomes noticeably thin. Are you taking propecia 1mg a day?

Mpb exhibits variable penatrence so the only thing you can be sure of by looking at your relatives is whether or not you will loose hair at some point. You can't definitively determine the future extent of your loss based of the patterns of your older relatives. Most families have a wide range of norwood levels.

I'm on proscar (generic fin) cut in to 1/4's- skipping a day after the largest quarter. so roughly 1mg a day, thought of starting lower but thought what the hell, they say to take 1mg. Only side i can think of is the occasional aching balls and guch, if that dosen't pass over the next month, i'll break a few days and lower the dose. hopefully thats right, libdo no probs, in fact i feel it's risen.

My father and his father both started to recede at 17 and my maternal grandfather started to diffuse without receding at 40. Lucky me, I got a mix of the two sides, I started to diffuse at 17.

Before I ever used meds I was developing the same pattern at the same time as my uncle. My grandmother even predicted it and said my uncle had followed my grandfather. I know it doesn't always work this way, but in my case it sure as heck did.

My hair loss is very similar to my paternal grandfather. I saw pics of him at 27 and it is just a more advanced version of where I am now. My paternal grandmather's family has really bad MPB too, so my dad was basically screwed and went NW7 by like 26/27.

I'm 25 now and will be using both, especially my paternal grandfather, as benchmarks for my treatment efficacy. All the while, my maternal side of the family is NW0 for life.