+ Reply to Thread

Default My Situation, Should I be Concerned about Propecia?

I'm 18 and have recently (within the last year) became concerned with my hair, I thought that I noticed recession at the temples and spoke my my family about it whom insisted that I was fine and I was just exaggerating and that ive always had a high hairline, which is true, however it was still bugging me and so i went to my GP who said that he did not see any problem with my hair, a few months on and it was still bugging me so I booked a consultation at the Belgravia hair loss centre in London, they said that I was experiencing the very early stages of MPB however my hairline had not really deteriorated, but I did have small thinning around the crown and temples, they then said that at this stage it is very easily treated and can be reversed provided I started using Propecia Pill or the minoxidil ointment, Apparently most people use both but because im at such an early stage I am able to use just one and I have decided I would rather take the pill because its much easier however my parents are extremely sceptical of this treatment almost to the point where they think the whole clinic is a scam which is extremely frustrating, however in the end I feel that I will most likely use Propecia and was wondering whether I should be concerned about the side effects and the thinning accelerated hair loss you experience when you first start taking the pill just to give me and then hopefully my parents some peace of mind

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarrybadger View Post
    I'm 18 and have recently (within the last year) became concerned with my hair, I thought that I noticed recession at the temples and spoke my my family about it whom insisted that I was fine and I was just exaggerating and that ive always had a high hairline, which is true, however it was still bugging me and so i went to my GP who said that he did not see any problem with my hair, a few months on and it was still bugging me so I booked a consultation at the Belgravia hair loss centre in London, they said that I was experiencing the very early stages of MPB however my hairline had not really deteriorated, but I did have small thinning around the crown and temples, they then said that at this stage it is very easily treated and can be reversed provided I started using Propecia Pill or the minoxidil ointment, Apparently most people use both but because im at such an early stage I am able to use just one and I have decided I would rather take the pill because its much easier however my parents are extremely sceptical of this treatment almost to the point where they think the whole clinic is a scam which is extremely frustrating, however in the end I feel that I will most likely use Propecia and was wondering whether I should be concerned about the side effects and the thinning accelerated hair loss you experience when you first start taking the pill just to give me and then hopefully my parents some peace of mind
    That's a tough decision. Does your father, father's brothers, your mother's father have much hair loss? Minoxidil is minimally effective. Propecia can have undesirable sexual side effects. According to identical twin studies, coffee is good for your hair. Cigarette smoking and sunburn can accelerate MPB.

I wouldn't personally take Propecia, but that's an just my opinion.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    personally take Propecia, but that's an just my opinion.
    Why not? Propecia is only FDA approved treatment that will halt/slow hairloss by interfering with balding process. If you were in this guys position, what would you do?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BudskiiHD View Post
    Why not? Propecia is only FDA approved treatment that will halt/slow hairloss by interfering with balding process. If you were in this guys position, what would you do?
    If I were 18, I would seriously consider taking Propecia. Knowing what I know now, and not caring as much about my hair loss, I wouldn't take Propecia. I would just shave my head. My family is into natural foods and avoid as much medication as possible.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:40 PM.