+ Reply to Thread

Default Scabs Falling Off

Anyone have any feedback on when the scabs should fall off, or any advice to speed it up. I've heard everything from 5-14 days.

Right now my wash routine was:
    Day 0-1 - Keep my cap on
    Day 2 - Spray head with hydrogen peroxide, wait 10 minutes. Wash hair by pouring warm water gently from a cup, doing the same with shampoo
    Day 3-8 - Same routine, excluding the peroxide

Anything else I can do? I've heard saline, aloe vera, etc.

I have a party to go to on Day 9, but I can get away with wearing a hat. I have to go back to work Day 11, so that's the first day it will really matter what I look like. I'm not worried about the donor area - the staples will be out by then; but I'm hoping the recipient area will be presentable by then (or at least to the point I can cover with Toppik).

I'm in a wedding Day 16, so I'm really hoping all the scabs have healed by then, and I can get a haircut (cut the back & sides to a length just enough so the scar is not visible). I'm ok with looking a bit crappy at work, but by the wedding, I'd like to at least look decent. It's ok if I look a little balder, but I'm hoping there aren't a bunch of scabs (redness is OK).

Just for reference, I'm not completely bald - do have some hair for coverage. I attached pics of my hair pre-HT (with Toppik), pre-HT without, and today (Day 5 post-HT).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Before - Outdoor Toppik.JPG

Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	22509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before - Front.JPG

Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	22510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 5 - Front.jpg

Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	22511  
    Last edited by Rav Chase; 08-13-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added pics

The scabs and crusting usually are ready to come off between 10-14 days post-op on average unless you are a slow healer. Most docs provide post-op care instructions that they provide to their patients. Did you receive them?

I have never heard of using peroxide post-op so was wondering where you received that advice?

Spraying a saline solution over the recipient area is many times advised to facilitate the healing process but usually for only 7 days or so post-op.

Some recommend using vitamin E oil to loosen the crusting, others advocate using aloe vera solution, but I suggest that you contact your surgeon for direction or again refer to their post-op care instructions.

You should be fine by day 16 for the wedding.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks Gillenator. My written post-op instructions (regarding scalp care anyway) were to leave the compression bandage (bandana, medical cap, gauze) on for two days, then saturate the cap with a 1/2 peroxide, 1/2 water solution, let it sit for 10 minutes, then carefully remove. Then spray the scalp again, wait 10 minutes, and wash hair with warm water (and shampoo) poured via a cup for Days 2 thru 7 (and only to use a cool hair dryer), and that the crusts should fall off in about that time. Dr. Pistone prescribes the solution (he specifically mentioned at http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497) specifically to dissolve the crusts, not for antibiotic effects as you'd think.

At day 7 the instructions say to massage the scalp gently during shampooing and to repeat each day until the crusts fall off.

I did start spraying some saline on it twice daily starting last night (Day 5), just to keep it moist, so we'll see if we have progress over the next few days. I will see him on Day 8, and even after that I have two more off days before I return to work, so we'll see how it goes.

They all came off Days 7-10...exactly as the doctor said Not sure why I thought I'd be different...I guess it's a normal reaction.

Glad to see that the crusting eventually came off.

Now the best is yet to come, the yield and final result!

Best wishes to you Rav.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin