http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13382

I'm 21

So as of about 2 weeks ago:
    I've started taking:
    Finasteride (.25mg a day so far)
    Minoxidil (rogaine 5% foam) 2x a day

-should I also add nizoral?
    -should I up my dosage of Fin?

-When I look at my hairline it's pretty full of these tiny whispy hairs that are more or less colorless.. Is this an indication that these can be revived still?

This whole progression has gotten me pretty down and depressed with myself.

I mean I feel like I need to avoid direct lighting... Under the light it looks like my hair is barely there, but then in darker or softer lighting it appears thick as it used to be! What the hell?

Especially since about 8 months ago I thought to myself "my hair looks pretty light on the edges lately, probably nothing" and then fast forward to today and I feel like absolute shit about how it looks now and wish I had started treatment back then...

-Is it likely that I can stick to a regiment and thicken up these now dying follicles? I don't need any miracle regrow my entire hairline - I just really want to thicken it back up.. I feel like I really only noticed my hairline becoming thinner and thinner about 3 months ago, and now it seems almost impossible how far along it has thinned to this point..

My hair currently is a little bit longer since those pictures, obviously, but I can't decide whether or not to cut it shorter or let it grow more. The longer front can cover the right side of the hairline better, but the left side is thinning noticeably pretty far along now....

-Should I just buzz it down? What's worse, the full visibility of the receded hairline or the longer thin hair?

Again, thanks everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    -should I also add nizoral?
    -should I up my dosage of Fin?
    If you're not having an issue with finasteride so far, I don't see a reason not to get closer to the recommended dosage.

As for adding keto, I don't see why you wouldn't. You're already taking the time to apply minox and taking the "risk" to take fin, you might as well throw the kitchen sink at it.

I mean I feel like I need to avoid direct lighting... Under the light it looks like my hair is barely there, but then in darker or softer lighting it appears thick as it used to be! What the hell?

Especially since about 8 months ago I thought to myself "my hair looks pretty light on the edges lately, probably nothing" and then fast forward to today and I feel like absolute shit about how it looks now and wish I had started treatment back then...
    We all go through tough times - good days and bad. My hair went to shit fast too. It's painful.

-Is it likely that I can stick to a regiment and thicken up these now dying follicles? I don't need any miracle regrow my entire hairline - I just really want to thicken it back up.. I feel like I really only noticed my hairline becoming thinner and thinner about 3 months ago, and now it seems almost impossible how far along it has thinned to this point..

-Should I just buzz it down? What's worse, the full visibility of the receded hairline or the longer thin hair?
    The goal is to thicken up. If fin stops the continued loss and minox brings some lost hair back, then sure. Maybe your hair loss is aggressive. I believe mine to be, and that worries me. I have to be able to say I tried treatment though. I need to know I had no other options, if it gets that far.

I think your hair looks passable in those pictures. I think the "right" time to start shaving is different from guy to guy. I hate my head shape and I feel like having a shaved head would/will be insufferable.

I feel you bro. I have the same issue with my hairline. It sucks everyday looking at myself in the mirror and notice the missing hair that was once there. I am looking probably doing a transplant later if it gets really bad. But at the mean time, I am doing whatever I can to repair it (except for taking medication, I worry about the side effects). However, I did get a free trial of Caboki. It helps, but its not a permanent solution. and I have to worry about it smearing on my head when I go out...

good luck.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Did you start the Minoxidil and Finasteride at the same time?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Did you start the Minoxidil and Finasteride at the same time?
    Yup, I started as followed:

August 1, 2013:

Started doing Minox (rogaine 5% foam) at hairline and temples thinning areas
    Started taking fin .25mg every other day for a week

The following week I started taking .25mg every day.
    This past week I have been taking .5mg every day.

I will up my dosage up to either 1mg next week or .75mg every day.
    I also will be doing Regenepure DR (1% keto) 3x a week.

I feel like my hairline is really thinning up, but my hair is longer to overall cover the thinning and now I'm inspecting my hairline every second!
    I wish I had the balls to just shave it off and wait for the stuff to work to thicken it up (it's going to work!) but my temples are uneven and the middle is being eaten away at

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I generally suggest to my patients that they start using either the Finasteride or Rogaine for 1 month and if there are no problems then add the other to their regimen. However, you already started both so you might as well just stick with your plan. It seems reasonable. Good luck.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    I generally suggest to my patients that they start using either the Finasteride or Rogaine for 1 month and if there are no problems then add the other to their regimen. However, you already started both so you might as well just stick with your plan. It seems reasonable. Good luck.
    Is what I have on the crown a normal cowlick or balding from the cowlick?

I've always had a nasty cowlick that's rough around the right side of my crown and also on the side of my head. When I cut my hair today on the back I noticed it seems to be getting thinner? or maybe I'm just imagining it...

Also, should I be applying minox here as well if its balding or just opt to see if the fin will stop it..