+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default minoxidil question

Does minoxidil only target damaged follicles? My hairline is thinning directly above my temples as pictured so I plan on using it there. Say I put it on my whole hairline as insurance, will it shed my healthy hairs that have no damage done to them by DHT?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-15 13.50.26.jpg

Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	22498  

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    Does minoxidil only target damaged follicles? My hairline is thinning directly above my temples as pictured so I plan on using it there. Say I put it on my whole hairline as insurance, will it shed my healthy hairs that have no damage done to them by DHT?
    Minoxidil only works wherever it is applied. Whether you shed or not is a gamble. How long it takes you to recover from shedding is another gamble.

If you want to preserve your hairline, RU may work better as Minoxidil more often than not DOESNT work on the hairline. It can, but not typically.

Try dermarolling in that area! Read more about dermarolling here:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13420

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Minoxidil only works wherever it is applied. Whether you shed or not is a gamble. How long it takes you to recover from shedding is another gamble.

If you want to preserve your hairline, RU may work better as Minoxidil more often than not DOESNT work on the hairline. It can, but not typically.

Try dermarolling in that area! Read more about dermarolling here:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13420
    Yeah I understand all the shedding stuff but I am just wondering if minox sheds healthy hairs OR just hairs damaged by DHT during the shedding process.

I am already taking fin but on top of that I want to regrow the thinning hairs that are pictured in my original post. Isn't RU supposed to just maintain not regrow like minoxidil should?

Yeah I understand all the shedding stuff but I am just wondering if minox sheds healthy hairs OR just hairs damaged by DHT during the shedding process.

I am already taking fin but on top of that I want to regrow the thinning hairs that are pictured in my original post. Isn't RU supposed to just maintain not regrow like minoxidil should?
    Your hairs that are in telogen phase will likely shed. 'DHT damage' just equals minutairization so you may see fine hairs shed or you may see thick hairs shed, it all depends on the phase they are in (Althought he finer ones have shorter growth phases so its more probable the majority of shed hairs will be 'DHT damaged aka minuturized' ones. The ones that do shed, when they eventaully reach anagen, minox is supposed to keep them in that phase longer then normal, therefore slow MPB.

Advantage of RU is it blocks/reduces both DHT and T from binding to the androgen receptor. Some say differently, but T is thought to also have an effect on hairloss (it does, but it may be more of an indirect relationship). Keep in mind finasteride raises scalp T, and the hairline in particular is more sensitive to T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Your hairs that are in telogen phase will likely shed. 'DHT damage' just equals minutairization so you may see fine hairs shed or you may see thick hairs shed, it all depends on the phase they are in (Althought he finer ones have shorter growth phases so its more probable the majority of shed hairs will be 'DHT damaged aka minuturized' ones. The ones that do shed, when they eventaully reach anagen, minox is supposed to keep them in that phase longer then normal, therefore slow MPB.

Advantage of RU is it blocks/reduces both DHT and T from binding to the androgen receptor. Some say differently, but T is thought to also have an effect on hairloss (it does, but it may be more of an indirect relationship). Keep in mind finasteride raises scalp T, and the hairline in particular is more sensitive to T.
    **** eh I will only use it on my damaged hairs then and not the whole hairline. Im not really convinced about RU though but I may be willing to give it a shot. I am more excited for CB personally.

BTW, I was reading another thread you are around my age right 22? Are you still using RU only or are you using anything else/how is your hair holding up?

**** eh I will only use it on my damaged hairs then and not the whole hairline. Im not really convinced about RU though but I may be willing to give it a shot. I am more excited for CB personally.

BTW, I was reading another thread you are around my age right 22? Are you still using RU only or are you using anything else/how is your hair holding up?
    It's not bad idea to use it on hairs that seem fine, if they are eventually going to miniaturize from MPB, they will do so at a slower pace if your own minox.

Ya man I'm 21, I was using RU at 2% and about a month ago upped to 5% and also added a low dose of fin, minox, dermaroll 2 weeks ago, and going to add growth factors soon. I'm goin all out bro!!!

Guys we need to get to the bottom of minox skin aging. Im scared to even use this drug anymore, visitin the other forum everyone is saying this stuff is badly aging them. What is the truth to this? **** we cant catch a break.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Guys we need to get to the bottom of minox skin aging. Im scared to even use this drug anymore, visitin the other forum everyone is saying this stuff is badly aging them. What is the truth to this? **** we cant catch a break.
    Rumors get started and people jump to conclusions. I use Rogaine. If anything aged me it was my previous poor diet. If you want to look healthier, avoid GMO like the plague, avoid foods with trans fat, avoid MSG, avoid meat from cattle that have been shot up with steroids and antibiotics, instead eat grass-fed beef, eat organic produce thereby cutting down on insecticide consumption and get a reasonable amount of exercise.

Avoid sunburn.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Default Minoxidil Shed?

How long after you start using minoxidil does the shedding begin and last? Shedding is just making room for the good hairs to grow back in right? lol

It's been about 8 months since I started it and I've also recently started using natural supplements this month, like saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pumpkin seed oil and a bunch of amino acids and a few other things. I see the mini hairs at the hair line seem to be a little longer and a few random hairs grown in, but the back looks not as great.

I had used minoxidal and did not see much progress.

So just started using Kerastase Densifique . I am posting the pictures here..

https://sites.google.com/site/hairgrowthexperiment/