+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Month 6 post-HT

Can't say much has changed in the past month.​ My hair is longer, but I think that's mostly native hair. My 6-month doctor follow-up was postponed due to the ridiculous amount of snow we had, so I'll post results of that a month from now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 6 Front.jpg

Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	25067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 6 Top.jpg

Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	25068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 6 Right.jpg

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	25069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 6 Left.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	25070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 6 Back.jpg

Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	25071  

Quote Originally Posted by Rav Chase View Post
    Can't say much has changed in the past month.​ My hair is longer, but I think that's mostly native hair. My 6-month doctor follow-up was postponed due to the ridiculous amount of snow we had, so I'll post results of that a month from now.
    Your hair is looking good. I Know 4 people that have gone to pistone and his work is excellent on every one of them.He is one of the best in the philadelphia/nyc area.

How many grafts did you get? And if you don not mind saying the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Rav Chase View Post
    5 Months in, and continual progress, and I can see more coming. Over the past month, two friends (who I don't see THAT often), gave me "compliments." I overhead two balding guys who had shaved their heads talking about what a pain it was, and baldness, and one remarked, "Joe still has a good head of hair." Another was talking about how they haven't cut their hair, and I remarked that I haven't cut my hair on top in a long time (used to self-deprecating baldness jokes), and he said, "Why? Are you losing your hair? You don't look like you're losing your hair." Still using Toppik, but it's less work, and more focused on the back. Just some sprinkles in the middle, a comb-thru, and a few spritzes with the applicator near the forelock.

The hairline is clearly defining itself. This is probably the best part. On top, it's much more than the wisps it was a few months ago. The picture of the right side of my head is probably the most telling of what is to come. There are many smaller hairs still growing in beneath the longer (native) hairs. This is probably giving the impression of thickness; however, odds are that none of the longer hairs (over an inch) are new (they've only been growing 2 months tops), which means that most of my transplanted hairs are about 1/2 inch or so right now, which means there's alot more length (and likely thickness, since most are fine) to come. The left side of my scalp is still reddish. I'll speak with the doctor at my 6-month followup. It does itch, but not terribly. As for the scar, the barber still cuts above it a little longer (and I haven't been there in a few weeks), so it's easy to pull the hair out of the way. I haven't seen any hair grow through the closure yet though. Anybody know when I should start seeing that?
    I had my surgery in september and my hair has been growing through the scar for a few months now but my hair grows in thick and fast so i wouldnt be discouraged yet if i were you.

Man you are lucky that you don't have any redness after one week of the procedure. For most guys that's a big issue and could take 3-4 weeks. But the results look good and your scar doesn't seem that much visible either. So good luck. Hope you get some good growth

Mcb, thanks for the info on your hair growing through scar. I received 2200 grafts and the cost was $6500.

Falco, it's actually been 7 months now! Or are you saying I'm lucky I didn't have any redness on top after the first week? In which case, yes I am. I'll post some new pics soon.

Was recently on vacation and got some suntan peeling on my forehead. I combed my hair forward to compensate. It's nice that that's finally an option! My mom - who I see at last once a week and is completely unaware of the surgery - said, "What are you doing different with your hair?" I told her I was combing it forward to cover my peeling. She said, "But it seems like there's alot more of it." I told her I hadn't cut the top for over a year (which is true), and also credited Toppik, which she knows I use.

Also was at a wedding recently and saw some friends I hadn't seen recently. One friend's wife asked how it seems like I'm aging backwards and I look at least 5 years younger than thr last time I'd seen her about three years ago.

So things are still going well. I actually had to re-schedule my follow up again, but I will see him in April.

[QUOTE=Rav Chase;169652]Mcb, thanks for the info on your hair growing through scar. I received 2200 grafts and the cost was $6500.

Hey Rav,

Thanks for your response.Do you still have new stubble growing in? Any progress on the hair growing thru the scar?

Things are looking good. Attached some additional updated pictures. My barber says there is some stubble growing through the scar, and additional small hairs on top below my native hair that's now several inches long (finally had to have it "evened out" for the first time in a few years). Obviously in these pics the hair is combed away to show the scar, but I still wear my hair relatively short and it's not visible normally. Aside from the thing white strip, it's not even evident that there's a scar (minimal to no red/pinkness)

Name:	Month 8 Front.jpg

Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	25582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 8 Top.jpg

Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	25583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 8 Right Side.jpg

Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	25584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 8 Back.jpg

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	25585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 8 Right Scar.jpg

Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	25586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Month 8 Left Scar.jpg

Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	25587  

Default 1 Year Out

It's been exactly one year since my hair transplant. I had my 1-year check in two days ago. Everything seems to be progressing nicely. Dr. Pistone said I may see another 10% growth, but for the most part, what I see now is the result.

It's likely I'll go for a second visit around next summer. I could go sooner but my schedule isn't that convenient until then. He said I have a strong donor area - he'll be able to fill in the crown easily with the next strip, then would help fill in the gaps along the upper sides, which he says while you can't see it now, it will be helpful long-term as that area thins. He'd finish by strengthening the hair line and the area immediately behind it, as the area that is now the most full is between the hairline and the crown, and very little remaining coverage is likely necessary.

I asked about scars. My scar now is pretty invisible, given that I have a decent amount of hair in the back (it's far from "long," however). He prefers to take a second strip creating a second scar, as opposed to taking a strip directly adjacent to the first donor area. He said he'd rather have two miniscule lines than one wider scar, and also that the grafts tend to be of higher quality if he takes a new strip. Given my donor area, he'd go below the original strip.

Below are the before & after shots. Obviously my hairline now exists. I've been combing my hair forward, but I hadn't cut it in a year and a half BEFORE my surgery, and that's all I had then. Now I'm at least having it cut monthly. The crown appears to have thinned a bit (obviously over a year, it would. I hadn't actually realized how bad my crown was - was so focused on the hairline. This will be the focus of the second surgery. The shot of the back of my head shows (clockwise) before, immediately after, 2 months later, and now. As you can see, the scar isn't visible. You can see where it was based on the "immediately after" photo based on how the long hair is laying.

FYI - Dr. Pistone is moving from his offices in Galloway & Northfield (near Atlantic City) to Marlton (near Philly, where he used to be a few years ago).

Name:	1 Year - Top Before & After.jpg

Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	34119   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Year - Right Before & After.jpg

Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	34120   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Year - Left Before & After.jpg

Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	34121   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Year - Crown Before & After.jpg

Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	34122   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Year - Back Timeline.jpg

Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	34123  

If it were me, I would not want two separate strip scars.

Most of the time, as long as there is adequate laxity, taking out the former scar with the new strip is ideal IMHO.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for your feedback.

Point taken about the second strip scar. Someone mentioned that on another board as well. It's enough to at least make me consult another doctor. I always knew that one surgery would not be enough - however, I don't intend to have more than two, and I want to emerge from the second surgery not reliant on Toppik anymore. It would be nice to not have to worry about going out in the rain, having to wipe down my bathroom counters and floors constantly, or sleeping at a girl's place and having to dust off the pillow without waking her up. I will consult with Dr. Feller in NY for my next operation. The scar resulting from the second surgery was a concern to me (whether it be the size of the "combined" scar or a second scar in and of itself). I'm curious to get others' opinions as well.

Also, here some additional before & after photos that show the 1) the hairline (you can't really tell from the others since my hair is combed straight forward), 2) my hair as I'd normally style it, and 3) before & after with Toppik.

Unfortunately, as you see, I am still using Toppik. I think the fact that I'd be using it on the crown regardless has more or less let me accept this fact, and the fact that I now "look good" with Toppik, as opposed to before, when there was nothing in the temples, has been huge. At this point, if my crown were not nearly bald, I would be comfortable going out of the house without Toppik. I was pretty happy with my results, but I had what I'll call "reasonable" expectations. Your results seem exceptional!

Name:	1 Year - Hairline Before & After.jpg

Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	34143   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Year - Top Close-up styled Before & After.jpg

Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	34144   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Year - Toppik Before & After.jpg

Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	34145