+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Worst Advice to Give

"Your hair looks great, enjoy life" "Stop worrying, enjoy your youth"

I hear this all the time. You get these young guys come here that know they are losing their hair and asking for help. And they end up getting advice that all is good and not to worry about it. It doesn't matter how young you are, you know when you are losing your hair. I knew in my early twenties when my hair was going to shit.

Just because these young guys are in better shape then many of us in here doesn't mean that all is good and that they should delay treatment because they are not a NW3 or worse. We need to stop comparing these guys to ourselves and thinking that just because they are in better shape than we are, that they should delay treating their hair loss. Putting off treatment is almost the worst thing you can do, since most of what you lose you will likely never get back.

I have seen many guys around here get crap because they are at the beginning stages of hair loss and they are doing everything they can to stop it. If I could go back in time I would do the same and maybe still have most of my hair today.

Agree'd.

Once you dip below NW1, kitchen sink regimen must be employed.

AMEN. Can we sticky that??

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    "Your hair looks great, enjoy life" "Stop worrying, enjoy your youth"

I hear this all the time. You get these young guys come here that know they are losing their hair and asking for help. And they end up getting advice that all is good and not to worry about it. It doesn't matter how young you are, you know when you are losing your hair. I knew in my early twenties when my hair was going to shit.

Just because these young guys are in better shape then many of us in here doesn't mean that all is good and that they should delay treatment because they are not a NW3 or worse. We need to stop comparing these guys to ourselves and thinking that just because they are in better shape than we are, that they should delay treating their hair loss. Putting off treatment is almost the worst thing you can do, since most of what you lose you will likely never get back.

I have seen many guys around here get crap because they are at the beginning stages of hair loss and they are doing everything they can to stop it. If I could go back in time I would do the same and maybe still have most of my hair today.
    Exactly. There's people who just ignore anyone less than NW2. There's anti-antiandrogen fear-mongers. Many of which tell people just to use minox and/or keto. I find it really hard to believe anyone can be successful with just one or both of those two. Certainly better than nothing, but not being on an antiandrogen is asinine.

What irks me the worst is when my family members and friends told me I didn't look like I was balding at all though. Sure, it provided temporary relief, but at what cost? Exponentially greater anxiety and stress down the road as my hair continued to deteriorate and certainly some hair lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Agree'd.

Once you dip below NW1, kitchen sink regimen must be employed.
    Wish I would have done that. Waiting for NW2 before fin and now pushing NW3 before adding dut and minox. So many months and so much hair wasted.

I just tell new members to order fin ASAP. Usually I tell them to get their blood levels checked just to be PC, but if I could do it all again I'd order fin at the first signs, start minox right away, and switch to a natural shampoo. I wouldn't even waste money on blood work and Dr. visits.

I'm one of those young guys, and if I was just an NW2 I would be fine with it. I'm an NW3.

Wow, bravo.
    I 100% agree with this. Not to insult anybody because I always appreciate anybody who has taken the time out of their day to discuss my matters, but there is nothing more isolating than when somebody tells you there is no problem.
    I'm not delusional, figures don't lie, and when you can compare before and after pictures/videos, and realise that you've lost half an inch over just a few years, and your hairline is looking chewed up to shit, at 23 years old, you have to question what more can you do besides pop some pills and put greasy liquid on your hair twice a day.

Yeah, people think they are helping you by sparing your feelings, but all they are doing is contributing to more time wasted. Time is of the essence when it comes to treating hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Yeah, people think they are helping you by sparing your feelings, but all they are doing is contributing to more time wasted. Time is of the essence when it comes to treating hair loss.
    This exactly. I can't understand why everyone tells me it's not bad and there's nothing to worry about. I can see my freaking scalp through my paper thin hair people!! I delayed treatment longer than I should have because I thought I was being paranoyed based on "objective" opinions. Terrible decision.

If i could go back in time to talk to my younger self i would say "stop looking in the mirror and shave the stupid hair style off you are bald deal with it"...but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoyy7 View Post
    If i could go back in time to talk to my younger self i would say "stop looking in the mirror and shave the stupid hair style off you are bald deal with it"...but thats just me.
    I apologize if I am confusing you with somebody else, but if I remember correctly your hair loss experience is totally different than the majority of men. You didn't see hair loss as a problem because you had family members that were bald. You saw being bald as "normal". It seems like you found hair as more of a problem than anything. You accepted shaving it at a young age. Most guys do not see things that way. We like ourselves with hair, don't like what we look like without hair, would rather have hair than not have it. Most people who have hair loss, even ones who have accepted it, would be interested in reversing their hair loss if they could. You on the other hand would probably still walk around bald. I give you credit for accepting your hair loss and shaving your head, but most guys are not prepared to do what you did. You probably look good with a shaved head, most look like shit. You see being bald as looking normal, most people feel they look normal with a head of hair.