+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post
    LOL... Good one Wylie. if it were only that easy.

Thanks Sausage.... The only person I would ever consider right now is Milena Lardi in Italy. If that means taking a trip to Italy then so be it. Until someone here in the US has the reputation she has with the results to back it up I'd only trust her hands. And more importantly, its not permanent. No changing colors, no smearing or smudging, if you don't like the look, your not stuck forever.
    That being said, I think your on to something I have thought about for a long time. for those who are in your norwood class. However, I would approach it differently. the key is to keep the 3d elusion throughout the scalp, not just the hairline. Personally, I would focus FUE on the hairline only then create a uniform density of FUE through the rest of the scalp using a combination of scalp and beard hair. The SMP would not be used in the first cm of the hair line but increase darkness and volumn towards the back as not to draw attention. The SMP would also help in the donor area to blend any scaring or dotting you may get.
    Keep in mind, your committing to a 0-1 guard the optimal being .5. Basically the 5 oclock shadow look. Between the FUE and SMP it would both look AND feel like real hair. It has to be a perfect balance of the 2.
    We had a Norwood 6 patient in who had SMP. As long as his head was shaved, it looked natural until you got up close and gave his head a critical look. He recently had Dr. Cole place approx. 2100 grafts in the SMP area that will make the SMP result look much more natural.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:31 PM.

It's so important to have a mix of real hair with the smp otherwise something looks off. The other factor is length. Even a 1 guard is too long. Boy it would be great to see more of these type cases for viewing. I really think it has a place for NW6 patients that have limited donor and good beard supply.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

It's so important to have a mix of real hair with the smp otherwise something looks off. The other factor is length. Even a 1 guard is too long. Boy it would be great to see more of these type cases for viewing. I really think it has a place for NW6 patients that have limited donor and good beard supply.
    The limited SMP work I have seen come through our office appeared that the artist did a decent job matching the surrounding hair color. The SMP dots I have seen are approx. four times the diameter of the surrounding hair shafts. This is what makes this technique look unnatural in my opinion. Artificial hair fiber implants have been tried with disastrous results including major infections. Perhaps someone will take the 3d printing approach where hair fibers are printed using a patient's compatible tissue. Anchoring the hair in place could present a big challenge. Perhaps there could be a way to anchor the hair in place similar in concept to a tooth staying put that had root canal surgery.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:31 PM.

LOL... Good one Wylie. if it were only that easy.

Thanks Sausage.... The only person I would ever consider right now is Milena Lardi in Italy. If that means taking a trip to Italy then so be it. Until someone here in the US has the reputation she has with the results to back it up I'd only trust her hands. And more importantly, its not permanent. No changing colors, no smearing or smudging, if you don't like the look, your not stuck forever.
    That being said, I think your on to something I have thought about for a long time. for those who are in your norwood class. However, I would approach it differently. the key is to keep the 3d elusion throughout the scalp, not just the hairline. Personally, I would focus FUE on the hairline only then create a uniform density of FUE through the rest of the scalp using a combination of scalp and beard hair. The SMP would not be used in the first cm of the hair line but increase darkness and volumn towards the back as not to draw attention. The SMP would also help in the donor area to blend any scaring or dotting you may get.
    Keep in mind, your committing to a 0-1 guard the optimal being .5. Basically the 5 oclock shadow look. Between the FUE and SMP it would both look AND feel like real hair. It has to be a perfect balance of the 2.

I am not one to rush into anything, I have been balding for 12 years and I have done nothing about it. I like to think I am not one to make a stupid decision. Considering this SMP seems bloody stupid but if I can be sure I can get a good result with the right people then it may be worth it.

From research it does worry me that the 'HIS' clinic 'practitioners' don't have a clue, I constantly see blatant errors with their work, stuff that should not happen if someone had some common sense, such as too dark choices of pigments, too dense, stupid positioning of hairlines.....one guy...you could clearly see where his original hairline was from when he had hair but he had a solid SMP hairline tattooed an inch or so above his original hairline....I mean what the feck?

Milena Lardi is a consideration but I have yet to have been wowed by her work, the photos Jotronic has uploaded on here have not impressed me. The photos on her website have not impressed me.

Thing is, as a person with an artistic/design background who pays a great attention to detail, I cannot see why consistent good quality SMP cannot be achieved, you just need someone with the skill, common sense, and knowledge of how a male head of hair works.

Look at this guy, an English footballer, he is a rarity in that he loves having a buzzed head. He is a good looking guy and it looks great on him........I know this is NOT SMP, this is his real hair buzzed very short.......but I cannot see why something that looks like this cannot be achieved:

Anyone out there think they can achieve a natural looking result like that......let me know, my money's waiting for you.