+ Reply to Thread

Default 20 YO been on propecia for 4 months

I see a lot of posts on this forum from people around my age who are considering getting on propecia so I thought I would shared story so far and hopefully it will be useful to some people.

Looking back at pictures I probably started receeding at about 17/18 (although nothing major so obviously nobody noticed it not even me)

For the last year or two my hairloss accelerated quite a bit to the point that others were noticing it more and it bugged me quite a lot more than it should have.

I already knew about propecia. Around turning 19 I started googling to see what was out there. The stories of sides etc kind of made me sceptical so I decided to just monitor my hair while keeping researched on the medication. After about a year and about half a year after turning 20 I decided to just try it.

Got a prescription and started right away, the thing that finally made me get on the drug was a huge shed of hair one day which made me think now or never. (It might be worth me saying I have no noticeable loss in the crown but the hairline is receded noticeably maybe NW 2-3 ish.

My hair at the front was always itchy. Which I had no idea was down to hairloss until reading about it. Anyway this itch completely stopped within the first week and I have hardly had it back since.

Sides and the shed.
    I haven't had any sides at all which I am very pleased with. Although I would say if you look for sides or convince yourself you are gonna get them then you will. A good example is the other day my testicles felt a bit of an ache. I could have easily come on here spouting off about how it was because of propecia. But it happened for a few hours in a 4 month period and I've had testicle ache before in my life when not on prop so I'm not attributing it to that. No sex drive loss etc, I still look at girls the same and masturbate regularly so it's all good no sides.

As for the shed. I'm unsure. Like I said I started after noticing a huge shed so I was shedding before anyway. I've definitely noticed less hair in my hand / shower / pillow so the regular MPB shed has more or less gone.

Saying that though for a while I was convinced my hairline looked worse. Although even though it looked worse I noticed stubble like hair around the bald spots on my hairline. It was just thinner than the rest.

Anyway to finish up just had my haircut and with the rest of my hair short the stubbly hair looks a little thicker and better. You can still tell my hairline has receded but I'm happy with it and looks ok. If the hair continues to grow and thicken in a few months time I could be a very happy bunny.

So my advice to young people thinking about it would be monitor your hair for 6 months or whatever and then get on propecia and give yourself a fighting chance. it's worth a shot.

(Sorry if this post is a little long winded I feel like I have rambled on a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmmmm View Post
    I see a lot of posts on this forum from people around my age who are considering getting on propecia so I thought I would shared story so far and hopefully it will be useful to some people.

Looking back at pictures I probably started receeding at about 17/18 (although nothing major so obviously nobody noticed it not even me)

For the last year or two my hairloss accelerated quite a bit to the point that others were noticing it more and it bugged me quite a lot more than it should have.

I already knew about propecia. Around turning 19 I started googling to see what was out there. The stories of sides etc kind of made me sceptical so I decided to just monitor my hair while keeping researched on the medication. After about a year and about half a year after turning 20 I decided to just try it.

Got a prescription and started right away, the thing that finally made me get on the drug was a huge shed of hair one day which made me think now or never. (It might be worth me saying I have no noticeable loss in the crown but the hairline is receded noticeably maybe NW 2-3 ish.

My hair at the front was always itchy. Which I had no idea was down to hairloss until reading about it. Anyway this itch completely stopped within the first week and I have hardly had it back since.

Sides and the shed.
    I haven't had any sides at all which I am very pleased with. Although I would say if you look for sides or convince yourself you are gonna get them then you will. A good example is the other day my testicles felt a bit of an ache. I could have easily come on here spouting off about how it was because of propecia. But it happened for a few hours in a 4 month period and I've had testicle ache before in my life when not on prop so I'm not attributing it to that. No sex drive loss etc, I still look at girls the same and masturbate regularly so it's all good no sides.

As for the shed. I'm unsure. Like I said I started after noticing a huge shed so I was shedding before anyway. I've definitely noticed less hair in my hand / shower / pillow so the regular MPB shed has more or less gone.

Saying that though for a while I was convinced my hairline looked worse. Although even though it looked worse I noticed stubble like hair around the bald spots on my hairline. It was just thinner than the rest.

Anyway to finish up just had my haircut and with the rest of my hair short the stubbly hair looks a little thicker and better. You can still tell my hairline has receded but I'm happy with it and looks ok. If the hair continues to grow and thicken in a few months time I could be a very happy bunny.

So my advice to young people thinking about it would be monitor your hair for 6 months or whatever and then get on propecia and give yourself a fighting chance. it's worth a shot.

(Sorry if this post is a little long winded I feel like I have rambled on a bit)
    What dose did you take bro? Thinking about tapering, Propecia .25mg to start and take it from there. I'm seeing Dr Reddy in London next week, get his view on things and possibly follow up with a baseline DHT blood test. I'm approaching 23 next week

Happy days for you though, hope it all works out for you

I take 1mg everyday (in the 4 months ive been taking it i've probably missed about 7 days total)

i got my prescription on the boots hair retention programme. Happy so far.

hey bro, ive been on fin for 7 weeks now.. and going through a really bad shed, crown is worse and hairline is thin... dont know whether its in my head really

20 is kind of young to start propecia, but i do understand pain of hair loss. keep update on the sides. If you start noticing sides, then start taking it .5 mg every three days, since you don't need a lot of propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by ge77inhigh View Post
    20 is kind of young to start propecia, but i do understand pain of hair loss. keep update on the sides. If you start noticing sides, then start taking it .5 mg every three days, since you don't need a lot of propecia.
    everyone is different, good advice to ward of sides but realistically .5 could not be enough to stop loss

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    everyone is different, good advice to ward of sides but realistically .5 could not be enough to stop loss
    Actually, another poster on this site, Desmond84, has presented convincing evidence that doses as little as .05mg are nearly as effective as 1mg, and that taking the dose every 3.5 days is nearly as effective as everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    Actually, another poster on this site, Desmond84, has presented convincing evidence that doses as little as .05mg are nearly as effective as 1mg, and that taking the dose every 3.5 days is nearly as effective as everyday.
    I'd say 0.2mg/day is a good place to start, because there are atleast studies using this dose that show haircount.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmethinning View Post
    i mean i started off on .25mg myself.
    i'm just saying that you can't really decide what is working or not working without trial and error

This is a good thread. I am currently taking 1mg fin/day, with no issues. If I did start getting sides, I would definitely consider reducing the dose instead of dropping fin all together. Others should think about doing the same.