+ Reply to Thread

Default finasteride and libido

Isn't it possible that the lack of libido is caused by the depression and anxiety of hair loss and not the medication? I think for a good percentage of guys that decide to take the meds, hair loss causes them a lot of grief. It's freaking hard to get horny when you're consumed about hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by boourns View Post
    Isn't it possible that the lack of libido is caused by the depression and anxiety of hair loss and not the medication? I think for a good percentage of guys that decide to take the meds, hair loss causes them a lot of grief. It's freaking hard to get horny when you're consumed about hair loss.
    Depression and anxiety definitely do play a major role in your sex drive. However Finasteride does play its own role as well, but not for every guy on the damn pill. Dutasteride afaik, is supposed to suppress DHT but also increase Testosterone. A few guys I spoke with said their libido went on overdrive while on dutasteride.

I am not denying the possibility of fin sides. The first thing that people fear the most when it comes to fin are the sexual sides. It is the main thing they obsess about when they finally start taking it. I was/am the same way. I think we can sometimes convince ourselves that something is going on when in reality it isn't. Depression and anxiety can definitely hurt your libido. I think sometimes our own minds can be our worst enemy when it comes to identifying sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I am not denying the possibility of fin sides. The first thing that people fear the most when it comes to fin are the sexual sides. It is the main thing they obsess about when they finally start taking it. I was/am the same way. I think we can sometimes convince ourselves that something is going on when in reality it isn't. Depression and anxiety can definitely hurt your libido. I think sometimes our own minds can be our worst enemy when it comes to identifying sides.
    at points in my life i've convinced myself i had ED for reasons that had no earthly business causing it..

the mind is an extremely powerful thing

Quote Originally Posted by boourns View Post
    Isn't it possible that the lack of libido is caused by the depression and anxiety of hair loss and not the medication?
    Yes absolutely. Not for everyone but for some. My sex drive was lower pre-fin than post-fin because I was so depressed about hair at that time

When I first saw thinning on my crown it felt like my balls shrunk and my penis lost all its feeling. I compared it to the same feeling when a doctor tells a patient that they are dying or has a horrible disease. It was just anxiety after that and no libido.

You also hear guys claim how their libido never improved after getting off the drug but couldn't it also be very possible it's because some years have passed and their sex drive just naturally slowed down? If 18 is supposedly the peak for a guy's sex drive then it would be downhill from then on.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    at points in my life i've convinced myself i had ED for reasons that had no earthly business causing it..

the mind is an extremely powerful thing
    Agreed. Your mind can really only concentrate on one thing at a time and if it's more important than sex then it's no time for boner.

These are rare cases when the use of finasteride results in ED problems. Moreover all of us can react individually to any meds.
    I am on Propecia for about 4 months and my sexual life is not affected at all.
    As it is known ED has Psychological and Physical causes. Those of Psychological type include depression, anxiety, stress. Try not to worry, work on your psychological state and everything will be good.