+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: considering HT.

Question considering HT.

I am 30, and my hair line has started to thin to a point that I start to feel a little uncomfortable about it. I usually spike my hair up, but since my thinning, I have been having trouble keeping up with that look. I have been using monoxidil and folicure for about 3 months or so and have not seen any results. I may see some growth in the upcoming months, or I may not. I am now considering a HT at this point, just in case.

So at what point would I want to get it? Should I get it when my hair loss gets way worse? what is the recommendation? Also, I am in the state of Hawaii and I have been looking around to see if there are any good HT surgeon. I have not found any. Is there anyone in the same state that has done HT with great results and would recommend their surgeon?

One last thing. For you guys who had HT. How much did the procedure cost you?

Thanks for your time.

Viewsonic,

Welcome to this community! You definitely want to do enough research into both the benefits as well as the risks associated with HT surgery before looking for a surgeon. You also want to gain a good understanding of the differences between FUE and strip methods.

I am not aware of any good HT surgeons in beautiful Hawaii and surprised there is not.

Do you have any photos to put up because it's very hard to give opinions without them. You can always hide/block your facial features to maintain anonymity.

It also does not appear that you are taking low dose finasteride?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, my dermo did say I am developing MPB. I want to avoid taking any internal medication because I worry about the side effects. But like I said, I have been using some topical stuff, maybe I need to try more/different things.

Just wondering, how much does a typical frontal hairline repair cost? Its a bit hard for me to final any local pricing because I don't think there are that many HT surgeons here on the island. May have to travel out of state.

I have been looking at the neograft type of transplant since its less scaring and seems like a procedure that is safer and wastes less hair. Also the recovery time is much faster.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Viewsonic,

Do you have any photos to put up because it's very hard to give opinions without them. You can always hide/block your facial features to maintain anonymity.
    I second that. Photos are very important even for a ballpark evaluation.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Here it is....its so depressing looking at these pictures.

Topical hair loss treatments are minimally effective. Propecia and Avodart help slow the process but their effectiveness hasn't put any hair transplant clinics out of business.

We frequently see your type of frontal loss. What is your family history of hair loss? If all you see in your family history is frontal loss and you have dense thick caliber donor hair, you are in a better position for a lasting result. If you have a family history or large areas of baldness in the back, you should resist the temptation for a full, low hairline and focus on getting a natural appearing frontal area that frames your face.

weird thing is, no one in my family has issues with hairloss. Not my parents, not my uncles/aunties, grandparents, or cousins...I got the "lucky" gene in the family I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
    weird thing is, no one in my family has issues with hairloss. Not my parents, not my uncles/aunties, grandparents, or cousins...I got the "lucky" gene in the family I guess.
    We offer free consultations including photography and HairCheck

Of course it isn't free if you have to travel a great distance to Atlanta. If that is the case, you may consider checking with local hair restoration physicians to see if they use the HairCheck system. HairCheck provides hair mass numbers at several key points on the scalp and helps indicate the degree of thinning in areas that may appear full. HairCheck along with a number of other factors help hair restoration doctors estimate future hair loss.

It looks like you have really good hair quality, which makes you a better candidate for hair transplantation. You should probably do a few online consultations with some IAHRS surgeons. I guess the closest ones to you are in Southern California. It might also be worth a visit to some of them to meet a few patients before you make any kind of decision.

Costs vary, but I would say the average is about $5 per graft.

Is there such thing as getting a procedure done too early? I think I am still at the beginning stage of HL. I fear that I get the procedure now just to fix the front and HL starts right behind the newly transplanted area. On the other hand, I am also worried about waiting too long and having to live with a bald head for a while. And the change from bald to hair would be very noticeable to people around me.